A week (almost) on Lumia 1520 in build 10149

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been using this awesome build for a while now and I would like to share my experiences and thoughts of this build in my 1520 :)

I have the same upgrade path with Daniel Rubino, from 8.1 > 10136 > hard reset > 10149 and yes, I have Glance Settings :)

Almost everything is great here, fast response times, certain apps and livetiles now work (e.g. in 10136, cannot login on Windows Central app, AED crashes, and livetiles are not updating or not working at all), and a new subtle but cool animation.

START SCREEN

And speaking of the Start Screen animation, I think it's great, and looks slick, cool and seems faster (it really is) than 8.1 transitions (where you have to wait for the tiles to settle down before you can move anything).
However I found this bug here (I just discovered a workaround, more on that later) that these animations stop working after a while..or sometimes everytime, I have to restart the phone to get the animations back again. Finally, I figured out what caused this: LIVE FOLDERS. Opening live folders kills the start screen animations. So the workaround: don't use live folders...which is not actually bad since now I can pin MORE (4 medium sized tile) on the screen, which was a bummer when I first had it on 10136 (I was like, "what the hell is this?!") but when I FINALLY managed to setup my tiles..I made it look gorgeous (on 10136) but NOT on 10149 because I CAN'T CHANGE BACKGROUND WALLPAPER!

I don't know why but I haven't found any workaround on this one..maybe I'll just have to wait for another build :S

CALL and MESSAGING

I have been using this build as my Daily Driver and so far, I have no MAJOR problems with regards to calls and texts and FB messaging. Sometimes I cannot see the texts on notification area but it's no big deal. One cool thing is you can now set Messaging notifications to private.

PHOTOS APP

..sucks as of this build..or will it ever be. Hambutton at the top (hey, they moved the address bar of Edge on the bottom, I don't think it would hurt if they also put ALL that hambutton and search bar at the top to bottom..it's easier to use even with the reachability feature). Biggest complain about this app is that IT LOOKS FOR PICTURES ON MY DEVICE EVERY TIME..as opposed to WP7.5/8 where pictures are already there the instant you open it. And it takes a long while for even a single new picture to come by. I hope they will improve this soon..

MICROSOFT EDGE

Yey, address bar at the buttom! And good thing for my 6" 1520, I can view webpages in their full desktop form (mostly I use it for Facebook because the newsfeed in the app sucks..)

REACHABILITY

I have a hate towards this (as I am hoping for something else in tap+hold the start button, like lock the screen or pulling the notification center down, but what we have now is this). This is an excuse because of all the hambuttons on top in lots of apps now (store, music, word, onenote, etc) Yes, I have heard many times that using big screen phones requires 2 handed use and yes, I use my 1520 mostly 2 handed but it is still a pain to move my hand upwards just to hit that hambutton, and yes now find it useful (executes faster now than in 10136) but still pivots and actions on the buttom of the screen is superior than this. BUT - if they make this the way for us to use SPLIT SCREEN (if ever this would be possible) I will definitely love this feature. Or maybe if there is a setting where you can toggle between left or right handed mode, and when you tap+hold the start button, the whole screen moves to a quarter part of the screen (like the resizable keyboard)..in that mode you can ACTUALLY use the phone one handed because you can see ALL of the screen and not just the upper part of it. (hey that's a good idea maybe i'll share that on uservoice)

BATTERY LIFE

Battery is terrible on 10136, but now it's like almost the same as on 8.1. Or, I don't know..but definitely better than 10136.

OTHERS

Some games (like Terraria) crashes on first startup, but on second it will run good.
Multitasking is A LOT BETTER now than on 8.1. I have a game suspended for hours, and I was surprised that when I get back to it, it resumes like nothing ever happened :D on 8.1 it will show the 'resuming' screen and ultimately restart the game.

well..am.. got to go. If you have comments and violent reactions, please tell :)
Thanks

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to manually choose which TP version to install, as I might be interested in following your path :)

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Oh, and I would love to add to this:

ONENOTE

this app is barely usable in this stage..can't edit properly since the scaling of the cursor and text is off..

win_splash

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I agree, OneNote is pretty terrible if you plan to make any additions from your phone. For viewing existing notes, its not a problem, but forget about trying to edit.

Xrzysiek

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Today I bought Microsoft Univesal Mobile Keyboard (Bluetooth) and with my 640 XL works great! :) now I can write easly Word documents ect.

IMG-20150630-WA0002[1].jpg

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Today I bought Microsoft Univesal Mobile Keyboard (Bluetooth) and with my 640 XL works great! :) now I can write easly Word documents ect.

View attachment 107450

I use bluetooth keyboard too, tried that since 8.1 update 2. However I use a cheap, generic keyboard and it works, however, using win10 builds, I noticed that some functions were not usable anymore, like back key, return to start screen key, etc..so maybe I'll have to wait for better build to be able to fully utilize my BT keyboard again 😊

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Been using 10149 for couple days in my 1520 and loving everything about it. No going back to 8.1... I am looking forward to the next build :)

nukesheart1520

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Just to add another:

PEOPLE

people hub is kinda useless now.."What's New" does not update (and if it does, takes too long), and there's no newsfeed per group.. can't change display pictures of contacts (defaulted to FB or outlook), no livetiles. I hope they polished it on the coming builds.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
hmm.... You make it tempting to try this build on my 1520

I had 10136 on my 1520 a few weekends ago but I had to eventually roll back to Win 8.1

I did however install Win 10 10136 on my spare Nokia Icon and it's been pretty much sitting here for over a week with it.
When I picked it up tonight it was very responsive. Menus were not laggy at all.

I just started the 10149 update on it and will see what happens.

Singhb

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
10149 works very well on my 1520. Updated couple of days ago and I am not rolling it back to 8.1. It is stable, fast and responsive enough to be on my mail device. There are some smaller issues but nothing that takes away the experience of this build.

Well done, Microsoft.

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Guys, those of you that come either directly from 8.1 -> 10149 or 8.1 -> 10136 -> 10149 and NOT doing a hard reset, a couple of questions. Glance; if it is working, does it show date time and lock apps, or its only date + notifications?
Lockscreen; can you add weather to be shown?
Battery life; I've found out latest outlook mail&calendar app is a battery drainer for me, how is it for you?

If I decide to do the same, 8.1 then 10149 whats best way to do it? Do a complete 8.1 restore with all the apps and settings, etc. and then go to 10149 or just a basic 8.1 install, upgrade to 10149 and then restore everything?

Klemen Nemivsek

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Have anyone problem with gallery on 10149 build. The pictures doesnt seem clearly , specialy if i zoom in to it . If i open camera and look pictures from camera gallery are pictures ok.

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Almost tempted to install it on my Lumia 930....
It runs ok on my backup Lumia 625 tho.

I have been using build 10149 on my 930 which I use as my daily driver. While there are the random minor things that could use polishing, I am very please with what I currently have. I am extremely glad to have made the plunge. Everything that I use the phone for works extremely well. The battery life is a definite improvement over 10136 and I think even 8.1. Transitions are much quicker and fluid. I could go on but the end result is the same, I am happy.

Ruflaxx

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to add a feature on MICROSOFT EDGE:
It has background Play!
You can Play a video on youtube and switch apps and The video keeps playing in The backgound!

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Can any of you on build 10149 on a 1520 record video with Lumia Camera? Mine leaves the counter at zero and when I stop it gives me an error.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes