Reasons to move from Android to WP?

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is very common knowledge that android is susceptible to viruses(in whatever form is for mobile devices, name aside.) no point in arguing against that point.
Did you even read that article? Not all malware is a virus. Viruses, worms, trojans, adware and spyware are different things.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Task killer apps are unnecessary and make performance worse rather than better. There is no need to use task killers in Android.

This is the only point on which i tend to disagree with you . Ive seen it working many tmes. Actually this is kind of a requirement when you use android with not much high specs.

Thmoas De Grauw

May 22, 2015
Visit site
I think the world and what consumers have on offer would be a lot better if we would be free to move anywhere. Try to be a good consumer and try to be able to freely move, then you can try anything. My email addres is third party (own domain) not by micrsofot nor google nor apple. I have my files on my pc covered by a third party app (livedrive) which has apps for all platforms. I only use messengers that are available on all platforms.

I just take the best phone for my needs, and right now that is a Lumia 640. If there would be an android phone like Moto G but less bulky and with double the battery life, that might be my next phone. I think it is great we have so much choice to choose from, you just have to see that you don't get locked into that choice (of course that is what the big companies are trying to do). Microsoft is actually the best company to put your stuff, they have software to support most of their services on all platforms.

I also see here that people have to choose for a phone that they don't really want because what they really want is not available on their carrier. That is, in my view, also a bad thing. In Belgium it is forbidden to lock phones. There are no exlusive carrier branded phones. It is not cheaper to get a phone on a contract then to get a phone and the contract separately (if it is on contract you just pay for the phone monthly as if you would buy it on credit).

I feel great that I can enjoy best what technology has to offer from whatever supplier I like :) I would advise everyone just to try if you get the chance. You never know you might like it. There is a lot of mal information going around, you never know you might just like it.

Ultimate Insider

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the world and what consumers have on offer would be a lot better if we would be free to move anywhere. Try to be a good consumer and try to be able to freely move, then you can try anything. My email addres is third party (own domain) not by micrsofot nor google nor apple. I have my files on my pc covered by a third party app (livedrive) which has apps for all platforms. I only use messengers that are available on all platforms.

I just take the best phone for my needs, and right now that is a Lumia 640. If there would be an android phone like Moto G but less bulky and with double the battery life, that might be my next phone. I think it is great we have so much choice to choose from, you just have to see that you don't get locked into that choice (of course that is what the big companies are trying to do). Microsoft is actually the best company to put your stuff, they have software to support most of their services on all platforms.

I also see here that people have to choose for a phone that they don't really want because what they really want is not available on their carrier. That is, in my view, also a bad thing. In Belgium it is forbidden to lock phones. There are no exlusive carrier branded phones. It is not cheaper to get a phone on a contract then to get a phone and the contract separately (if it is on contract you just pay for the phone monthly as if you would buy it on credit).

I feel great that I can enjoy best what technology has to offer from whatever supplier I like :) I would advise everyone just to try if you get the chance. You never know you might like it. There is a lot of mal information going around, you never know you might just like it.

One thing to disagree with you, I would rather go with Lumia 640 XL, instead of 640.

mail2red

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I like windows phone for a myriad of reasons, but here's what's missing and some of them can be deal breakers for some.

1. Google apps -- While there are a number of third party apps that can "emulate" services, I do believe that Google should grow up and support multitude of devices if they want to be competitive. While features in maps app are decked similar to google maps, there is a certain lack of information -- esp telling which side of the street the address is at. But offline maps is a solid feature.

2. Apps in general -- I know that Microsoft has made some incredible effort to make the app developers port their android/ios apps to windows, but there are a few key apps (robinhood, chase, bank of america) missing. The bank apps dropped their windows phone support recently and don't know why... and if they are coming back. There are web apps and they provide most services -- but that last mile feature is missing -- like depositing checks by taking pictures, etc. I have ally bank and it works just fine.

Previously, i would have put browsers as the third point, but edge is pretty good and fast. You also have alternatives with UC browser, opera, etc.

Otherwise, the good parts:
1. slick slick interface and great performance
2. good memory and program management -- My wife's 1+1 needs constant scrubbing, and manual app closures -- as someone said -- they do have apps for that -- and I think those should not be needed.
3. nice animations, resume instead of restart of programs, good notification center (a lot better with windows 10),
4. excellent camera, and camera apps
5. excellent size -- They are so well built that I did not put a cover/screen protector on them and they are just fine. Consider adding the cover size when you are considering other phones -- if you are never going to take it off, then you should add it to the size of the phone.
6. features where it matters - nfc, wireless charging, wireless display, internet sharing, excellent onedrive integration for bookmarks, searches, reading lists, messages, profile data and photo and video backup...
7. I use the news, money, fitness and weather apps regularly -- very useful built in apps.
8. outlook mail and calendar are new and revamped
9. VPN is fully functional now
10. Smart wifi is awesome feature -- connects to trusted free wifi automatically... you can turn that feature off.
11. Cortana is good and very capable -- similar to google now and more functional than siri.
12. No fragmentation and prompt updates of various features. If you choose auto-update of apps and turn off store alerts, its quiet and your apps and minor system updates are seamless.

Alternatives to google services if you are looking
1. google search -- there is google search app; but i found bing on 99/100 searches gives similar results and sometimes surprises you.
2. Gtalk/hangouts -- skype
3. Drive -- one drive -- excellent interface and performance
4. Youtube -- I like metrotube a lot -- it became so popular that it became a paid app. m.youtube.com works too..
5. Inbox/gmail app -- Outlook mail w/ rich media editing -- note that you still use gmail's server; this is just an app
6. Maps -- Maps (with built-in voice navigation like google maps), nokia maps and Drive apps, gmaps, waze,
7. Now -- Cortana

Windows phone is different -- and things different than what is accustomed to are always strange, and need some getting used-to to like them.. but it has been a good experience for me till now.

youzer

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I just upgraded to the Galaxy S6 Edge from the Nokia Icon.
I really like the full functionality of the apps on Android. Not like some of the half-baked versions in the Windows store.
I especially like the Fingerprint reader and how it integrates with LastPass for managing my passwords.

Beyond that, I miss my Icon.
The GS6 Edge barely lasts a day off the battery. I don't consider myself a heavy user, but on my Icon, I could have all radios turned on (GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, Cell, etc.) and last almost 2 days. I'm barely getting 12 hours out of the Edge.
I really, really miss Cortana. Cortana blows Google Now away. This seems to be the biggest thing I miss. Having an always available voice assistant is important to me. Cortana has spoiled me. Siri comes close, but Google Now isn't even in the same league.
I miss the live tiles and Social Network integration with the People app on my Windows Phone.

I'm just thoroughly disappointed with the battery performance and voice assistance on the GS6 Edge. I'm also really scared if I drop the thing, it's going to shatter. I'll be taking it back to the Verizon store after having it for a week. I'll be back to using my Icon and happier for it.

mweflen

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Things to like about iOS/iPhone:
-Apps. Lots of them.
-Good hardware for current-gen users.
-Ubiquity. If you have a problem with your iPhone, so have a billion other people, solutions and aftermarket supplies easy to find.

Things to dislike about iOS/iPhone:
-Cost. Holy Jeebus, the cost. Outrageous costs for the hardware.
-One button, that's it. It leads to some byzantine navigation choices.
-OS updates render older hardware sluggish, nigh unusable in come cases.
-Poor battery life.

Things to like about Android:
-Vast variety of hardware choice, from cheap to flagship.
-Boatloads of apps, as well as native Google services.
-Very customizable, especially with the avid rooting community online.
-Lots of aftermarket stuff for major manufacturers.

Things to dislike about Android:
-OS updates render many older devices unusable.
-Version fragmentation is rampant with OEM skins and slow updates.
-Poor memory management when running multiple apps.

Things to like about Windows Phone:
-Loads of hardware choices, almost all cheaper than comparable-spec competitors.
-Emphasis on imaging in mid-to-high end range.
-OS updates seem not to cripple lower-spec and older hardware.
-Battery life tends to be very good due to this lighter OS approach.
-Highly customizable live tile screen provides loads of info without drilling into apps.
-Microsoft services provide analogs for most competitive services. Cortana is apparently better than both competitors.

Things to dislike about Windows Phone:
-The "app gap." Most big ones are there, but lots of littler players are absent. Big ones seem to get updated less frequently, too.
-Poor Google integration. You can sync Gmail to the native email app, and there is a Google search app, but none of it is baked in, and practically everything else is missing.
-Questions about whether it will stick around in the marketplace 2 years from now.
-General perception as the red-headed stepchild of the smartphone world (if you care about such things).
-Relative lack of aftermarket products.

All in all, I like Windows Phone best, but (and it's a big BUT) I am not a heavy user of Google or Apple services. I think it's a great OS for someone who is starting out with smartphones, not because it's simplistic (though its ease of use is higher IMHO), but because they weren't deeply invested in another ecosystem. It's also a great choice for someone who wants to pay less for comparable hardware (like me, I'm a cheapskate). I got a Lumia 1020 for $50, and the camera still blows away anything else out there. I've got poster-sized shots framed on my wall, which would never be possible with any competitor.

Last edited:

AnuragP

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Not so much reasons to jump as of now . Not after this week of doomsday news for WP community. Usual Argument like first party app quality (less featured in comparision to other platform )still holds. While other platform improving (iOS and Android) are improving leaps and bound and becoming more "Smart" , in comparision Windows Phone becoming more of an "feature" phone . Nor does it have any exclusive kick *** features which is missing in android and ios. Heck microsoft updating its iOS apps first . And with windows 10 its becoming more and more like android . No more metro UI design language for which i initially liked windows phone

jaciinsf

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
The best reason to move to windows phone is if your whole life is on windows. I love the windows os. I have everything I need right there. However, my last two phone have not been windows. I had an HTC M8 Android and was counting the days until the windows version came out on T-Mobile and when it did - no wifi calling. So much for that. Now I have an IPhone 6 and I don't know what all the raves are about. It's a beautiful machine, but I WANT WINDOWS.

My problem with all phones (except the M8) is the location of the buttons. I don't want to accidently hang up, mess with the volume and take pictures. Can't someone design a phone that is designed for the human hand???

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Another reason, just thought about is, with my Nokia 930, I found the black background with white text in most places across the UI, perfect, I hate the way Android and its new Lollipop update is predominantly white with black text, especially with a Amoled screen.

Although this looks like Microsoft are changing with WP10, to be the same as all the rest bright backgrounds...Dark is best

The only way to get the same as WP8.1 is to root your android and try a custom rom like Dirty Unicorns with Blacked out Gapps.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Reading through this thread here I find many users mix up Lumia devices and Windows Phone as an OS itself. Reasons like: good camera, build quality, great display and all that are entirely hardware related and not to the OS itself. Other platforms offer devices with these features as well.
Also I wonder how often I read how much people admire how "different" WP is compared to Android and that is the essential reason to switch to WP. Pretty funny that in the latest build the option to open Apps directly from the store is very welcome and receives great positive feedback; a functionality that Android has for ages already. And a good example how MS trying to be different so hard but end up in a wrong way.
Ironically many WP users praise the OS for it's safety compared to others but at the same time tell how awesome the latest build of WP10 is and encourage people to install it - a software that has not even reached beta status yet. If you wanna make the security as criterion count then you have to stick with the (retarded) WP8.1. Additionally nobody know when (or if) it will be released. We all know MS has no problem to drop a hardware platform or project suddenly and abandon it. Past has shown this to happen a few times already. Judging by the current progress I expect it to be released by mid 2016.
Indeed there are some OEMs that tweak their Android in a way that can make you really wanna abandon the platform :) But with a Nexus you get the best experience of Android I would say.

Chris Hammond2

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, here is my take on the OS preference debate....

I always had Android. My last phone was a note 3. Nice bit of kit, but along came the note 4. From what I could see, it was (once again) almost the same phone. I was porting note 4 roms to note 3, and it ran without ANY issues. So, do I upgrade or continue playing with Android, bearing in mind that Samdung introduced Knox and basically said sod off for any kind of repair if the knox fuse is damaged.

I don't like iPhone, yet love Macs as a computer. Can't abide the iPad either. In common with Android devices, they seem to get updated before your warranty runs out!! I mean, seriously, how many times can you re-invent the bloody wheel!!

After much debate and research, and the barracking that Windows Mobile gets, I plumped for a demo of one. I was shown the 930 and told that a 'newer' model was on the way, or I could wait for the 640XL. As I am a taxi driver, I couldn't wait, or go back to android, so a 930 came home with me.

I've had it a couple of months now, and I won't be going back!! As long as Msoft keep it alive, I'm sold! Even my teenage boy, who loves gaming, now has a 635 lte. He loves it, and the fact that Ashphalt 8 runs without any graphical glitches, has meant he doesn't miss his bloated Android.

Once you have got used to WP8.1, it's infectious. We now have, in my house, a 435 (?25.00 and also plays Ash8 without fault), a 535 for my daughter, the 635 lte, a 640 (for the wife) and my 930.

The wife and I run a small taxi firm, and Cortana means we run completely hands free!! Our bookings get saved in Onedrive, so accessed easily, and the whole experience of an UNBLOATED phone, is proving to be a pleasant experiece.

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
MixRadio, HERE Maps, OneNote and Office are available for iOS and Android.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

True. But it was several years before MixRadio was available on other platforms. And I prefer OneNote on WP. I prefer any app on WP because of the Live Tiles. MixRadio is a lot simpler on WP, even though the Windows 10 for Mobile iteration will probably resemble the UI on Android and iOS. WP may use older hardware, but I like the specs better, as far as HD and the SD cards. Plus I still don't see Continuum being offered anywhere else. Perhaps Ubuntu Edge will finally become a reality and things will get interesting. I was hoping Continuum was possible without wires but that does not appear to be the case.

eds817

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been an Android user since Feb 2013 and when Microsoft announced their Win 10 plans for mobile I considered switching over to Windows phone since I'm a big Windows user (work desktop, Surface Pro 3, several desktops and laptops at home). Earlier this year I purchased a Lumia 635 for $30 to use as a second phone to my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I've since dropped my Note 2 twice and even though it still works the screen is splintered so I'm using the 635 as my primary device. The latest build, 10166 is the best so far. My biggest issues with Android/Samsung/AT&T is having to wait for updates if you ever get them. My Note 2 is running Android 4.4.2 and that's the last one I'll ever see. I was excited to read that Microsoft is thinking of pushing updates directly like Apple. I'm hoping Microsoft does not throw in the towel on Windows mobile and we get everything they've promised and more. If this doesn't happen I might have to go over to the Dark Side (Apple) since all of the Microsoft apps are updated for Apple first, something I could never understand.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have used everything. An iphone for a couple of years, a lot of androids, started off at symbian and I even had windows mobile 6.1 all these years back. So I'm not a ******. I have invested money on each appstore, I can switch freely. The only thing I want is a phone that works and does what I want.

I thought my Iphone 4S was great, it's a few years old but still runs newest iOS. It has an app for everything and everybody who builds an app will support iOs. I thought it felt great in hand. I could get used to the homescreen and interface. There's two issues, battery life (I want to be able to skip a night of charing) and price. I got the iphone for free, but when I wanted to upgrade i saw that I would have to pay at least 300EUR for the cheapest iphone 5c which would be the same as my 4S appart from a little bigger screen. I know the internal hardware is better but the 4S could cope fine with anything I threw at it. So no more Apple for me unless I get one for free again.

My latest android was a Moto G 4G. I really liked it. It was right up my price range (I don't want to spend 500EUR for a phone anymore, those days are over) and I liked the bump cover. It was bulky though. Put for it's price it had a very smooth operations. What I dislike is that for the most part you are bound to the producer of your phone for OS updates. They will not release the latest OS version even though your phone is perfectly capable. It also takes ages before it gets released. I dislike the crapware installed. That is also why I liked my Moto G, it was very clean andorid and updates were promised allthough arrived quite late. Android is very customziable, while I like this, I also like stuff to just work. I don't want "customziable" be the same as "having to spend hours to get stuff to work". Yes Tasker is great, yes rooting is great, yes flashing any firmware is great, but I see this more as a hobby for a geek then as featurs that are improtant in a smartphone for 98% of the people. It is great that you can swap any component (the app drawar, the lockscreen, the homescreen etc...) with something your own style, but this also comes with the drawback that a lot of stuff doesn't work together exactly as you would like, bugs etc... A bad point again is battery life, while Moto G was good in this regard, it was not 2 days. Again was obsessed with turning on/off bluetooth, wifi etc.. when not needed. But I liked it, untill I dropped it too hard and it broke.

I then could get a Lumia 640 for free. I though OK let's try windows phone. I was very sceptical at first, it was 5 inch and was afraid at this price point it would be really bulky. I saw the specs and knew I would get a just decent experience (but thats ok), I thought i will be missing a lot of apps. But hey, I'm free minded and I will try anything especially for free.

Well, I have to say I am quite surprised. It's a 5" phone but it's not thick like my Moto G. I like the design (boxy, simply, no frills) but that's personal. The software is completely different again. I like how it is different but still it is good. I like the homescreen, it is like iOS but you can change the icon size and the icons actually carry information. Apart from that your locked as far as customization goes. But I like what it does so that's fine. Everything from apps that I would want is there, except for Grindr :p there is a lot of scamware in the appstore. Viber, Whatsapp, Facebook, twitter, games like GTA San Andreas, Asphal, Zombie shooters, everything is there. Very nice are the Microsoft apps. The health app is just crazingly amazing and an example of how much information you can present with the simple sliding interface of windows phone.

Next best thing is the battery, it will last for 3 days on my usage without having to bother turning off bluetooth wifi etc... it's just a joy getting in my car and my bluetooth just connects. Of course this works for ios or android too, but battery usage would suffer on the cheaper end of the phone market, while this Lumia 640 handles it nicely. The display is nice etc... but ok that was the same for the Moto G.

In the apple world you can not get perfectly good working phones like Moto G and Lumia 640 that go fast, does everything the platform has to offer with nice displays for this price. Apple just is too expensive unless you get it for free. I have enough money, I'm just a rational thinker.

The good thing about android is the customization but this comes with the price that it won't always work out the way you want. It also eats battery, it can be slower and the graphics do'nt feel as smooth as either ios or windows phone. Battery life isn't great either.

Windows phone has everything the Moto G has + better battery life.

If you want flagship phones you need ios or android but really, is that worth it? You get some extra sensors that nobody cares about or nobody supports yet. You get many more pixels that you can not see. You pay 400EUR extra for this. I do'nt think it is worth it. So for me, the best phone is a windows phone. But I will happily use something else too, I can work with everything.

Lumia 640 surprised me on how good it is for $99. I bought one for my sister. Very good screen and battery lasts long. Everything runs great. Much better phone than Lumia 521 and Lumia 635. It should be selling a lot if people know this thing exists.

seb_r

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The latest build, 10166 is the best so far. My biggest issues with Android/Samsung/AT&T is having to wait for updates if you ever get them. My Note 2 is running Android 4.4.2 and that's the last one I'll ever see.
True, 10166 is the best so far. But also far away from being suitable for daily use.
Windows 8.1 is also the last version I will see on our Surface RT and Surface 2 here. Many Lumias never saw anything beyond WP 7.x.
With Android you can easily switch over to a custom ROM, especially for popular devices there are tons of these. Or get a Nexus and you receive every official update without any delay plus you get the pure Android experience. My Nexus 4 from 12/2012 received an OTA (5.1.1) just last month. That's what I call support :love:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon