Most recent W10M insider preview ready for use as a daily driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasJ2772

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
The only thread I found that spoke to this was nearly two months old.

How stable (complete) is the most current version of Windows 10 Mobile?

Can I safely run it on my daily device (L1020)?

Any deal-breaker issues such as:
  • Non functional email
  • People hub/contact issues when installing from 8.1
  • Non functional web browser
  • Currently installed apps unusable

Clearly, if I'm on this site, I understand that the current version is incomplete, and that surely there are some outstanding issues. Can you possibly assign a 0 - 100 number with regard to it's overall functionality?

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: How stable is the most recent version of Windows 10 Mobile? Daily use ready?

Even though I'm not on the preview, I'd rate the OS an 8 (from 1 to 10).
There will be some annoyances, but nothing too huge.
There's the whole mobile hotspot thingy, and ofc some apps eather won't be available or won't work, or will sometimes lag/crash.
But all in all, it's OK. Also get ready to charge your phone a little more often since I think the batery usage isn't the same as on 8.1, and also, save all your data.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: How stable is the most recent version of Windows 10 Mobile? Daily use ready?

I've had Windows 10 mobile on my backup L635 since 10080 & can tell you that it's come a long way. Out of 100, I'll give it an 85. The reason why I give it that score is because I'm not to happy with the around about way of deleting emails...... More added unnecessary serious to accomplish one goal. Also Groove Music crashes randomly and Bluetooth goes in and out. Minus those few nuisances, I've used it for day to day duty and it works great. I would recommend it, just do a master reset afterwards to get the performance from your phone.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying it as a daily driver this week on my Icon. Its....alright. Only real problem I have is the device will lock up after about every other phone call. Soft reset takes care of it.

Other than that, there is of course a little lag. Haven't run across any websites that are just fubar, but I don't use the web a lot.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site

Daily on two different Lumia Icons.

My primary icon was updated the day 10512 was released. The second was updated about 4 days later.

Bugs I have found:

1) the clock is slow to appear on the lock screen. This doesn't affect the ability to unlock the phone, but is annoying when checking the time.
2) Once every 2-3 days my email will start coming through about 5 minutes slow. Reboot solves.
3) Battery seems to report incorrect drainage once a week or so. It will report 6%, give a low battery warning. Then when I reboot the phone, it reports battery life at 65% or higher. This has only happened twice.

That is it. MMS works, Calendar works, Email works, Phone calls work (and all features: Mute, speaker, BT, etc.)

Neither phone I have installed 10512 on has required a factory reset, so data was retained.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I went to W10 with the recent build on my L830, figured it was closer to release. Didn't work properly with the regular install so I had to do a full reset, now working really really well. I love W10, but it was a painful Saturday of reboots and installs. I loved the 8.1 mail so, this is way better. Edge browser soooo much better. Music app glitchy, but fine. I didn't lose any app data, just do a proper backup before you start this adventure.

DuncanBishop

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Nice update on this guys. I'm installing the latest version 10512 on my newly bought 640 now.
I had it on my L830 and yup what Chris Phelps stated was the same problems I had.
Nothing major but small annoyances, But these are the things you have to live with to be a Windows Insider.
And I have reported all of them to MS,,so there should be a fix soon hopefully.
I'll report any new issues here and to MS if I find anything else..bugs.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Also I have found that most 3rd party apps can't see Groove playlists. They can see/play individual tracks/albums, but not the playlists.

Groove also recognizes your past purchases OK, and you can download them without any problem, but if you have a music pass sub, it doesn't recognize that yet, on mobile at least, so it forces a prompt for a payment method.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

For me at least, it depends on the phone on which it is installed. Its pretty rock solid on my HTC One M8. Battery is exceptional, apps launch very quickly, email, text messages, phone etc work well. Setting up a mobile hotspot didn't work so well but as a daily driver, the HTC One M8 is solid. On my Lumia 1520, not so on your life. Which is probably why it didn't make the initial cut of devices to get Windows 10. Probably more research involved for that model but if the Lumia 1520 is your only handset, stay with 8,1 for now.
I read on another site that Gabe Aul is running build 10532. If we get that one, maybe it'll work better on the Lumia 1520 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

Also I have found that most 3rd party apps can't see Groove playlists. They can see/play individual tracks/albums, but not the playlists.

Groove also recognizes your past purchases OK, and you can download them without any problem, but if you have a music pass sub, it doesn't recognize that yet, on mobile at least, so it forces a prompt for a payment method.
Yeah, I have a pass, doesn't recognise it, actually the most annoying thing about the preview right now

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site

It's not going to feel "snappy" on a 1020. I'd stick to 8.1. I have one running 10, so...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

How's the battery life on the preview? That's probably one of the biggest issues holding me back right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes