Mobile hotspot is not working properly in W10M, is there a fix for it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Mobile hotspot is not working properly in W10M

Hi, I have upgraded my lumia 920 to W10M 10.0.10586.29 release all is good except mobile hotspot, when i turn on mobile hotspot and connect my laptop to it it's working but when my phone got locked hotspot also stop working. is there any fix available for this ?

Brainicus

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Mobile hotspot is not working properly in W10M

As far as I know, the internet connection sharing (hotspot) functionality got broken in in one of earlier WM10 builds and has never been fixed.

After the phone gets locked and/or there is inactivity from a connected device, the connection is dropped. Sometimes it appears to go off a bit later (can be 5-10 minutes, can be 30-40 minutes but I haven't seen it last more than 1 hour). Interestingly, applications using raw TCP sockets (like Telegram messenger) continue working even when web browsing dies. Also, using Bluetooth for sharing makes it last longer but sharing internet connection via Bluetooth is convoluted at best.

The only difference I see with post 10581 builds is that the connection isn't severed immediately when the screen is locked and some apps may continue working for a while after web and email go dead. Have this problem on Lumia 930 with 10586 as well as new 950 and 950XL.

ddreese

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site

On my 950XL whenever I hit the Mobile HotSpot button it just flashes briefly and goes back to off. This really needs to be fixed soon.

MarineDawg

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Such a shame I am going to roll back to 8.1 solely because of this issue. I could have sworn that this didn't make itself known the first 24 hours (unless a steady stream of notifications kept the phone "awake."

dave_456

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site

I use mobile hotspot on a Lumia 930 on windows 10 mobile and it works perfectly, used it heavily on holiday this last weekend with 3 devices using it at one time.

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
when you are using hotspot, is your screen always on or are you having to mess with the lock screen time out so it will not disconnect the connect?

this is a known issue with L928 which I am on currently and its getting annoying to have to remember to set the screen time out to NEVER before turning on hotspot.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm using a Lumia 925 with WM10 on fast-ring and my screen time-out settings doesn't have a "NEVER" setting. The longest I can go before I have to touch the screen so it doesn't time-out is 5 minutes. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

juanmanuel2503

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
10586.71 still has issues with mobile hotspot. It works some seconds and then it drops the connection. I'm using my Nokia 1320 at work and if I cannot fix it I must go to 8.1. It is very annoying, please fix it.

fredriks

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
when you are using hotspot, is your screen always on or are you having to mess with the lock screen time out so it will not disconnect the connect?

this is a known issue with L928 which I am on currently and its getting annoying to have to remember to set the screen time out to NEVER before turning on hotspot.

My screen was off and it still works.
Tried it because I had read here that it was problems with hotspot

PPCFreak

May 16, 2013
Visit site
your 830 seems to be the only one that I have heard that is working with hotspot when the screen timesout.

anyone else confirm if theres works when screen timesout/screen is off?

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site

I use it almost daily on my 950xl. It works the first time I turn it on and connect. If I disconnect manually or lose connection for any reason I have to reboot and them it works fine. Works fine when my phone locks. its a pain but all I have to do is reboot and reconnect if it is not working.

kdk24z

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
My L925 definitely does not work for hot-spot when the screen times out. I did a test to see if it would keep working after five minutes and it broke the connection. I have to turn off the hot-spot and then turn it back on and it works again, but it is still frustrating that when the phone screen times out at five minutes (that's the longest setting my L925 offers) I lose the hot-spot functionality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077