Media controls on lockscreen concept

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm posting this here first to see if many agree with me before wasting Microsoft's time with this.

When Microsoft implemented media controls on the lockscreen, I wasn't very excited, I always felt it was redundant since it's on the volume rocker, and their implementation of it was pretty.. well.. in my opinion bad. It doesn't seem to fit, it just seems thrown up there! One day on the crapper (or the epiphany throne?) as I was messing with my phone I thought of a way I believe to make it look more consistent, while also helping with the "duplication" issue. I made a mock-up below. (I'm not a designer so just take the general idea from the image) The basic idea, is to take the media controls straight from the volume rocker, and just pin it to the lockscreen, removing the volume bar to save space, all the while removing the actual media controls from the volume rocker when on the lockscreen. Pressing the volume button would then just push the media controls down to show the volume bar, and the media controls would push the volume bar back up when it times out. what do you guys think? Does this improve the experience any? Think it's worth putting on the feedback hub?

Attachments

• music control.jpg
    music control.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 7

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I don't like the solid colored bar of the volume rocker, and I don't really care for it implemented there either, as it would cover part of my photo for the lock screen. I work hard to create nice lock screen photos, and I like to see my work.

However, a transparent bar in the same way as the navigation bar has transparency would be great. I'm not sure how I feel about the album art. I'm torn between wanting to see more of my own photo and the album art.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Win 10 still lacks in desing, e.g. the always visible search bar in Apps list and Settings, I would like a lens only on the side.
Then tapping on opens a search bar

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
They've already put it up directly to the lockscreen when the music is playing, without the grey background on preview build .14328.
wp_ss_20160425_0001[1].png

David Carrera

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by kaktus1389
They've already put it up directly to the lockscreen when the music is playing, without the grey background on preview build .14328.
attachment.php

Feedback that I subnets was to have the notifications and music control swap places, music control is hard to reach up top, I also asked for larger buttons and swipe to switch songs. Much easier when driving.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 125535

Yes, I've seen, but I don't like it, it feels just thrown there, it doesn't look good or consistent, and then you have the redundancy off having the rocker do the same thing, I feel like there is a much more elegant way to go about this, and if theya sre going to go this router, they should make it add some flair to the lockscreen.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Not good enough, bring back artist background on lock screen as well.

yea, I assume that's coming though, I suspect they've been working on a "live lock screen" for w10m that will work much better than the 8.1 version, I just don't think they've finished it yet, and I suspect that the artist background feature will come back in a new form with this new lock screen (I'm hoping we can maybe get something like the zuneHD's screensaver)

Temujin Morgan

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I love the feature in itself. Being able to change songs without having to touch the volume rocker first. All I need to do is drive an hour south where its legal to use a phone like that :)

But I will agree. It does look out of place. But I will live with its basic form as long as they don't remove it. I have started using it outside of the car.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I love the feature in itself. Being able to change songs without having to touch the volume rocker first. All I need to do is drive an hour south where its legal to use a phone like that :)

But I will agree. It does look out of place. But I will live with its basic form as long as they don't remove it. I have started using it outside of the car.

Yea, I just feel they can do more with it, they can make it more pretty, consistant. who knows though, maybe they have a plan for it and decided to just add the barebones implementation for us in the meantime until they have the bigger scheme set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa