how can I install insider preview on Lumia 525?

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I now have a Lumia 525 which does not work corrcectly (not syncing accounts, crashing outlook & other apps etc), I tried downloading the windows insider app & enrolling in it. but when I search for rings, it doesn't show any.

is there a way to install windows 10 preview release on the lumia 525?

Gaurav Sag

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site

Find out if Insider Preview is right for you, and make sure your phone is on the list of supported phones. Prerelease software doesn't always work as expected, and could cause your phone to stop working permanently.

Open this webpage from your phone, and then click Download the Windows Insider app. You can also search for the Windows Insider app in the Store from your phone.

Once it finishes downloading, open the Windows Insider app on your phone and follow the instructions to install Insider Preview. You'll have the option to choose whether you want to get new builds fast or slow. Choose Fast to get updates as soon as they're available, or choose Slow to wait until builds are a little more stable before you update.

Wurstsalat

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
is there a way to install windows 10 preview release on the lumia 525?
the only way is to use the Insider app, if this does not work for you, try the "typical" solutions
- soft reset (power+volume down until it vibrates)
- hard reset (loosing data!)
-> try it without backup restore

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
If you read my post, I have clearly stated that i tried installing the insider app an it doesn't work. Thank you anyway

someone suggested (don't know if this can work) that you need to enrol to developer preview and install developer preview so that you get the necessary configuration files before going with insider app

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
I fear you can't, some lower models were removed from Insider Program for new joiners.
Only way is the registry hacking for changing "Model signature", as a upper model. There's something in Hacking and Dwevelopment forum.
I tried in my old 520, It didn't work (maybe MS check RAM amount before updating)

avengerxp

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
OK finally I was able to get the release build via windows insider. Took a several soft resets to make it work. then until the update downloaded it didn't show that the phone had any updates. only clue was when I tried to change the ring it said some updates were downloading.

now the phone is on 10586.318
Lumia 525 - 1GB RAM

a tad slow when compared to snappy 8.1, but now everything works and can be used as a backup device. very happy with this old device being able to handle windows 10. will keep this as the test device until I find a good use for it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by avengerxp
OK finally I was able to get the release build via windows insider. Took a several soft resets to make it work. then until the update downloaded it didn't show that the phone had any updates. only clue was when I tried to change the ring it said some updates were downloading.

now the phone is on 10586.318
Lumia 525 - 1GB RAM

a tad slow when compared to snappy 8.1, but now everything works and can be used as a backup device. very happy with this old device being able to handle windows 10. will keep this as the test device until I find a good use for it.

This is only the Threshold release. AFIK, this is an older one. Sure its on 10586.338 now, and .318 is the OTA release, so I would hazard a guess, you aren't on the slow or fast ring, maybe the production one? I would double check on the boards as to what is the 'latest' OTA and which is the Release Preview.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon