Stuck with Build 14915

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Have a laptop that is on Insiders Fast Ring. I was away on business for a while and said laptop hasn't been used/turned on in several weeks and last build is 14915. So laptop (ASUS ROG) gets turned on last night and there's a Windows pop up message stating the version of OS is expired and needs to be updated. When I check for updates there is nothing coming up. I know there's an Insider build 14931 or 14936 kicking around but system will not auto find it.I found an ISO of 14931 but when I tried installing from USB there was an error (can't remember exactly what it was). I then tried a reset/restore but the same build 14915 was reinstalled on machine. So next plan is to get an iso of last production version of Win10 and reinstall to that. Is there anything else I should be trying that can ease the pain of a total reinstall?

TIA

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
You followed correct method, get latest ISO and install from that. You don't need it on USB except for a clean install. You should be able to mount the ISO by double clicking it, and run setup.

If that doesn't work, post back with the details.

signal-2-noise

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay. I was able to get 14931 installed by double-clicking ISO as Pepper suggested. The expiration warning has gone away which is a relief. Afterwards there were a couple of minor updates but no other Insider builds have popped up. I read 14942 was released to Fast Ring a few days ago but don't see it as being offered via Windows Update.

I guess now my question is would it be wise to leave Insider for PC? I think this little ordeal has turned me off on Windows Insider for PC but I'll stick with it on W10M. If I decide to stop/leave Insider do I need to seek out the last latest Production release of W10? Is it Anniversary build 14393? Would this have to be a clean install?

[update] Build 14942 showed as an update 2 minutes ago. So at least the Insider updates seems to be functional now.

Last edited:

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
In theory, you might be able to go backward to 14393 by using the same ISO-mount-setup procedure, though I haven't specifically tried that. I do know that reinstalling the exact same or upgrading newer builds works just fine. Worst case you're stuck with a clean install from bootable media.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes