Another iOS convert

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
A guy I work with picked up a Surround this weekend after messing with mine here at work. I might add he had to buy it out right because he broke his iPhone 3G. Also something he said that surprised me was the agent at his local ATT store actually recommended it over all the other devices. The agent said it lacks some of the things the others have at the moment but give it @ 6 months and it will be up at the top.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Wow... that is a surprise... AT&T salesperson recommending another phone over iPhone. I'm willing to bet there is a fat commission tied to these phones. I hate to admit it, but when I sold phones for Goodguys (anyone remember that chain?) I sold which ever had the most kickback. I mean, I was getting paid minimum wage, what did you expect? LOL Either way. good for consumer and good for salespeople!

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Nope, no special commission,

Iphones, Blackberrys, Windows, Android phones all get paid the same.

I push Windows, Torches, and Android phones more than Iphones because 90% of problems that walk into my store are Iphone related. Most of the "horrible AT&T service" is Iphone related. I am still on contract and have phones with Verizon in my parents family plan, and the service I get is the same with AT&T. Anyways, If someone comes in looking for a phone for reliability,no dropped calls/better reception, good call quality, and good core applications (Email, messaging, internet) then I always explain to them that there are better options to the Iphone. It is not a bias, it is a fact. Plus, my store is a neighborhood store. We thrive on repeat clients. Any apple problems have to be dealt with apple at the apple store. I can't stand that. I rather be able to help customers with their phones in my store where they bought them.

anyways, those are the main reasons why I push for other smart phones besides the Iphone.

His motives might be different, but I'm one of the few soldiers fighting for the liberation of AT&T (insert cheesy american theme music) I can't wait to see the Iphone on other carriers :)

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Good stuff and good to know! I guess such commissions would probably apply more to authorized retailers and not so much with Corp stores.

MarcMaiden

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff and good to know! I guess such commissions would probably apply more to authorized retailers and not so much with Corp stores.

correct, Apple does not let AT&T pay "good" commission on Iphone sales to authorized retailers.

I know im not supposed to talk about the commission structure...but...

on a normal upgrade (for a smart phone):

Depending if primary line or not anywhere from:
$5-15 for the upgrade itself
$3-5 for the phone
$5-35 for the plans/data plans attached

so $13 for the lowest end sale, $65 for a higher end sale and on average its $20-30/sale

this is the same for authorized retailers (who get paid commission) UNLESS its an iphone

if its an Iphone sale they get paid:
$3.50 for the upgrade no matter what
$5-10 if there is messaging or not
They do not get paid on the data plans for Iphones

So it would be normal to see a (good sales person) push any other smart phone aside from the Iphone. I do not blame them honestly, and in turn, windows/blackberry/android gets the attention they deserve haha

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Goodguys (anyone remember that chain?)

Yup. First time I ever went into 1 it was out in Cali. I picked up a cool little Sony key chain thing that allowed you to push a button when you heard a song on the radio. When you got home you could plug the deal into your PC, I think tell it what city you where in and it would give you a list of the songs playing in that area at that time. Never used it once but the deal flopped shortly afterwards.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Yup. First time I ever went into 1 it was out in Cali. I picked up a cool little Sony key chain thing that allowed you to push a button when you heard a song on the radio. When you got home you could plug the deal into your PC, I think tell it what city you where in and it would give you a list of the songs playing in that area at that time. Never used it once but the deal flopped shortly afterwards.

I don't remember that one. I used to sell cellphones, boomboxes and car stereo. I wasn't allowed in other departments. They didn't want me to cut into their commission. LOL

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I love my phone, but I don't see how a agent would recommend it over other device. It's just not true right now.
A guy I work with picked up a Surround this weekend after messing with mine here at work. I might add he had to buy it out right because he broke his iPhone 3G. Also something he said that surprised me was the agent at his local ATT store actually recommended it over all the other devices. The agent said it lacks some of the things the others have at the moment but give it @ 6 months and it will be up at the top.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
Unless you have a very specific app need that you can't get in the marketplace, why wouldn't you suggest a WP7 device?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm encouraged to hear this! Carrier rep awareness and willingness to push WP is what the platform needs to gain traction. It's how I found out about WP7 and how I ended up happily ever after (at least until upgrade time and new WP devices in Canada) with my HD7

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my phone, but I don't see how a agent would recommend it over other device. It's just not true right now.

I'm curious why you wouldn't recommend a WP? I know it's not perfect for everyone, but it is a pretty solid platform.

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that. Almost rare to hear a sales rep made that suggestion.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 device using Board Express

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, if Windows Phones is in front lines in the stores everybody will play with them and see that is like (or better) from iOS and Android. But, we need more phones. I am waiting for the next year line of WP 8 phones :D

M

mykllee

Wife and daughter wanted iphones, and I was pretty sure windows was for me. We went into the ATT store and the rep seemed so excited we were purchasing iphones. Then I tell her I want the Windows phone.....you should have seen the look of horror and disbelief on her face. "Oh no, you don't want that....everyone of them we sold has come back....you can't even get ringtones!" Well, that put me back for a while, and I wasn't sure. But went home, did more research, went back and played with the phone more, and knew it was for me.

I will say, that if I hadn't read on these forums about the auto intensity, I might not have sprung for windows. I couldn't understand why the screen looked so bad compared to iphone in the store. Later I did my part and set all the phones at maximum screen levels.

Bottom line is the rep really tried to talk me out of it. Even when I told her I thoroughly looked into it, she thought I was nuts. It was obvious she knew nothing about the phone. When we walked out I remember thinking she must make more selling apple and android.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon