pre no do update

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly does it really even matter anymore? Its obvious that T-Mobile blocked the update, as for ATT I think they pushed the update but the majority of their phones are the more than likely the focus which supposedly had the issues as well as the other Samsung phones... The reason I say it doesn't matter is because this update provides no improvements whatsoever to end users, sure they say there are driver level updates but that isn't important for performance or anything, something they could've just left in the real update, but all this update served for was practice to see how they would handle **** ups, and I guess you can say they did well with handling the Samsung issue... I guess it was also a good diversion to keep people distracted from the "wtf where is my nodo update?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" and for the most part if you think about it, it worked, people have toned down on bashing Microsoft for not delivering updates as well as toning down on wondering where the update is.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Gee, I think AT&T sold a few more phones than a bunch of Focuses. Still waiting for the update on my Surround. Sure, it may not do anything but it would be nice to know that Surrounds can install the update without issue. Think Microsoft would b interested in this as well.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Then I guess perhaps ATT also blocked the update as well. I wouldn't know I have an HD7 and the only people I know that actually use ATT is my sisters family because she works for them (they all have iPhones and also agree with the majority of the US that their service is abhorrent but she gets a great discount! Lol) anyways whatever chance carriers get to block updates they will, come on just think people, we live in a capitalist country so the theory of blocking any updates in order to sell newer phones is so obvious. How blocking this update helps I have no idea, I do know that the HD7 having a pending radio update does give merit to blocking this update though. Anyone that loves android AND getting updates would either have to get the Nexus S or root their device lol if you dont wanna do either looks like your screwed to stay on the same iteration of Android in favor of capitalism, so its probably best to jump ship and join WP7! Lol :)

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If something is updated through Zune, how does a AT&T or any phone service provider block an update?

Because Microsoft allows them to. A good way to accomplish this (this is just an example) is by having the update notification pushed from a Microsoft server OTA to your phone, then from there have that OTA notification act like a "code" which when plugged into the Zune software tells it to begin the update process, and through that; the carrier can block that OTA notification therefore no code then no update. That's just one of many ways they can do it really, the most annoying part though; is that they allow carriers to block em in the first place.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
.. and just so we're all on the same page here, if AT&T has block this update, that means they'll be forced to release it when the next update launches (March 8th-ish?).. OK, great.

.. what that also means is that AT&T can then block the NoDo update until the NEXT update is released.. and that could be Mango in 5 months (or a year, if you ask me).

Just don't forget and throw a fit when NoDo finally rolls out and one of the carriers blocks it.. it could literally be August before people on a certain carrier get NoDo.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
.. and just so we're all on the same page here, if AT&T has block this update, that means they'll be forced to release it when the next update launches (March 8th-ish?).. OK, great.

.. what that also means is that AT&T can then block the NoDo update until the NEXT update is released.. and that could be Mango in 5 months (or a year, if you ask me).

Just don't forget and throw a fit when NoDo finally rolls out and one of the carriers blocks it.. it could literally be August before people on a certain carrier get NoDo.

Yeah, and WP7 ends up being fragmented just like Android. One of the reasons I try to move away from Android is because I don't want to buy a new phone every three months just to get the latest OS. If this is going to end up being the same with WP7, I may as well just stick with Android.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, having not gotten the pre-update from AT&T is very concerning to me. Even though I am a Focus owner which is having the update held back, we haven't heard that either of the other 2 AT&T phones have gotten the update either.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok you guys have a skewed perception of this, ATT blocking this update means that they cannot block the actual nodo update when it comes out early march. Now with that being said I'm not entirely sure this works on a every other update basis, meaning they blocked first one, they're forced to push nodo (which BTW contains initial update) then they are allowed to block mango later this year, then are forced to push the next update, which by then I would assume people would be fed up with waiting and would fall to the carriers sick capitalist plan, therefore their ******* execs can go home to their ****ing white children being happy that they have money... ****holes. Oh btw I'm not racist because that would seem very hypocritical of me because I look really white lol.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok you guys have a skewed perception of this, ATT blocking this update means that they cannot block the actual nodo update when it comes out early march.

That's incorrect.

By AT&T blocking this "update update", they'll be forced to release the "update update" when NoDo launches. No AT&T phones will be required to have the NoDo update until the NEXT update launches. All carriers have the ability to hold the update cycle back by one update, so NO carrier is required to allow NoDo on their phones when it's released in a couple weeks.

The only thing that we're guaranteed is that we'll have this BS "update update" when NoDo is released.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
If AT&T blocks any update, even for a day, this will be the last carrier subsidized phone I ever own. Not convinced they are blocking anything yet though.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If AT&T blocks any update, even for a day, this will be the last carrier subsidized phone I ever own. Not convinced they are blocking anything yet though.

Does having an unlocked phone actually achieve anything.....isn't the notification still required to come down from the towers?

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Maybe We Didn't Need This One

I thought that this update was "to update certain devices to allow a better update".
I thought that not every device needed this one.
What am I missing?

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought that this update was "to update certain devices to allow a better update".
I thought that not every device needed this one.
What am I missing?

Its an update/change to the underlying OS code which will improve the updating system, and is necessary for the future/upcoming updates. All devices need it.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That's incorrect.

By AT&T blocking this "update update", they'll be forced to release the "update update" when NoDo launches. No AT&T phones will be required to have the NoDo update until the NEXT update launches. All carriers have the ability to hold the update cycle back by one update, so NO carrier is required to allow NoDo on their phones when it's released in a couple weeks.

The only thing that we're guaranteed is that we'll have this BS "update update" when NoDo is released.

Microsoft stated as the updates are released they are continually bundled together (how that'll work out later in terms of size I'm not sure) but the only update available from Microsoft servers when Nodo comes out, is nodo, so with that they said that the most any one will be waiting for the update is just until the next update comes out. Regardless of it all I still can't believe they allowed carriers to get involved, when the **** were they ever told that they should be allowed to dictate anything but the service which they provide? Its similar to the stupid excuse that Motorola used to not make wp7 phones, why should they care about ****ing around with the software when they are a hardware company. Their MotoBlur for Android sucks anyways, they need to stick to hardware. I used to have a droid and the build quality was amazing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2