Windows Phone 7 Data Issues

MrGarrykf

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Focus from AT&T, along with that I have the 200Mb per month data plan. My Windows Phone seems to be using quite a bit of data... Yesterday I went on Facebook three times on 3G other than that I was on Wifi and had data turned off, and some how my data accumulation was 10MB for just that day. Back when i had my iPhone I had trouble getting 5MB a day but 10MB? Weather Bug is the ONLY live tile that I have and i have that set to update every 4 hours, feedback is turned off, phone updates are turned off, the connect with Zune feature is turned off, the only thing I could think of is last night when I was watching a movie on Netflix via Wifi I forgot to turn my data connection off other than that I did no streaming of any sort. I know my way around this phone pretty well, Ive read other forums on saving data. Could that really have used that much data or is there something else causing so much data to be used? Any answers on ways to conserve data would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Netflix would use Wifi and not data.

Anytime WiFi is on, it will use it and not the cellular network connection.

However, when the phone goes in standby mode, the Wifi is turned off to save power; and so LiveTiles, as well as email checking and such are using cellular then.

So you are saying your Windows Live account is updating ever 4 hours? Do you have another email account? If it is Yahoo, they had some serious issues with extra data checking their email constantly. Supposedly they have fixed it, but it is still higher then most other services.

If you are not using Hotmail, etc, make sure in the Windows Live account you disable those features to save data.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
First, your issues is not Yahoo. That's been fixed. I am on an AT&T unlimited plan but I have WiFi on 24/7, because I actually use less battery with WiFi (3G signal is 1-3 bars). I never turn data off. Since November, and before turning WiFi on, I was using 1.3GB/month. Turned WiFi on about 1/1 and Yahoo got corrected on 2/16. I have tracked daily usage since 1/5 thru to today, and since the Yahoo fix, I average about 4MB day/120MB month.

That's with Hotmail (push), Yahoo (sync 15 min), AOL (sync 60 min), WeatherChannel, WeatherBug (60 minutes), and several other Live Tiles, some that update in the background during sporting events for example. Receive about 10 texts per day and about 30-50 emails. I use my phone a lot, needing a booster charge by the end of the day. As noted though, data should only kick in when the screen is off.

Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things, but there is something going on that's chewing up data. Depending on your email usage and accounts you should be able to keep under 5MB/day. Hell, I am not trying and I do.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
BTW, I also have Feedback and Update turned on. And I do have Zune Pass. Wonder if you are set to auto upload photos. Don't know how many you take, but that could eat data quickly.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
this has already been brought up before I thought?

Its feedback over data.

A noteed below, I have had Feedback and Updates over data turned on since I got the phone in November and with data and WiFi on all the time from 2/16 thru 3/31, my daily data usage (I check every morning) has been a low of 1MB and a high of 11MB, averaging just under 4MB per day. While I was experiencing the Yahoo problem back in January I did turn these settings off for a week but did not see any significant difference in daily usage (with Yahoo bug, I was ranging 25-40MB/day) so I turned them back on. I bet these settings represent a minuscule number.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
120 Mb a month? That's great! I use that in a day lol

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

I hear ya. I do have an unlimited data plan but found that using WiFi is 4X (7-8Mbps) my 3G bandwidth actually prolonging my battery charge. So while I would love to get my money's worth, longer daily battery life is a higher priority. And I am not yet ready to give up unlimited for the 200MB plan to save $15/m. Never know when I will need to stream out of range of WiFi. Like to know I can.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I've always been curious if it's possible to pull the 200MB plan off. If I didn't watch Netflix on 3G during the day I might be able to pull it off. I think carriers need to give us more data. The 200MB plan should be 500MB and the 2GB plan should be 5GB.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if they will budge on the 2GB (although they should) but 200MB is simply not enough for a real Smartphone experience. Should be 500MB/$15 as you noted.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased a Samsung Focus from AT&T, along with that I have the 200Mb per month data plan. My Windows Phone seems to be using quite a bit of data... Yesterday I went on Facebook three times on 3G other than that I was on Wifi and had data turned off, and some how my data accumulation was 10MB for just that day. Back when i had my iPhone I had trouble getting 5MB a day but 10MB? Weather Bug is the ONLY live tile that I have and i have that set to update every 4 hours, feedback is turned off, phone updates are turned off, the connect with Zune feature is turned off, the only thing I could think of is last night when I was watching a movie on Netflix via Wifi I forgot to turn my data connection off other than that I did no streaming of any sort. I know my way around this phone pretty well, Ive read other forums on saving data. Could that really have used that much data or is there something else causing so much data to be used? Any answers on ways to conserve data would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
200MB doesn't seem anywhere near enough for any smartphone, let alone WP7 (which is fairly data hungry). I have 1GB (although now it seems to be 2GB) on Three, and barely reach 500MB through heavy usage with emails and web browsing, so if you can try and budge your allowance up to the 500MB marker you should feel slightly more comfortable when using your phone out and about.

Do you have email accounts set up etc.? The phone's WiFi turns off on screen lock so the 3G will be used when your phone is dormant and using the Internet for application that run in the background (AFAIK).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon