Idea's for Microsoft

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone 7.1, I think, could be missing a chance to be unique and faster. I haven't used it yet, so I can't judge. However wouldn't fast app switching -- which is essentially what Mango does -- be easier if you could just pull your tiles up quickly, and it be simi transparent so you can see what app your on now and have the full live tile list to choose from. I just think that be good idea.

Also, Microsoft if they want to buy out someone buy out RIM. Cheaper, and they could bring a lot of talent to the Windows Phone team. Imagine BlackBerry with Windows Phone 7.

What do you guys think?

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I like your multitasking idea, but most blackberrys would not run windows phone 7 very well, outside the Torch and the Storm. Phones like the bold series have such a small screen I can't see wp7 being enjoyable. Plus, RIM would not be a cheap acquisition.

wreed

May 19, 2011
Visit site
pass on RIM, that is a sinking ship. A company that held on to their current technology and never tried to improve on their product and got burned. Correction, they tried a touch device and it failed terribly....

I think MS is fine and does not need any aquisitions.

tiny

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
As for multi-tasking. I do think, from what I see that they need a fast/intuitive way to kill a task within the card view. Something as easy as swiping the tile up.

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Keep MS out of the Hardware business. Let them continually work on what they do best.
I do want a bit more cohesiveness and intergration between their product offerings. Not having full Outlook functionality on WP7 is a crime to me. Also, pulling together Live Sync and Live Mesh would be nice if it were similar to dropbox that way I can sync documents between both my PC's and Phone. Plus there's less for MS to support and maintain.

Devilstar

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I really can't wait for multi tasking. Its the only thing my phone is missing.

They could implement killing apps like they do on the web browser. Little x in the corner.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
pass on RIM, that is a sinking ship. A company that held on to their current technology and never tried to improve on their product and got burned. Correction, they tried a touch device and it failed terribly....

I think MS is fine and does not need any aquisitions.

RIM is doing just fine. Come Q3 they will be releasing a lot of new handsets with a much needed hardware update. The torch failed mainly because the processor was not fast enough, most of the new handsets from RIM will be running a 1.1 ghz processor, and many will be featuring well made touchscreens.

RIM is being dumped on by the media simply because they haven't released a new phone in a little while... Which is odd, because even though Apple hasn't released a new phone, no one is saying they are about to go under are they? RIM's playbook sales have been higher than anticipated, and they have moved 13 million Blackberry's this year, not to mention all the profit they are making thanks to their acquisition of QNX. RIM is doing just fine.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
RIM is doing just fine. Come Q3 they will be releasing a lot of new handsets with a much needed hardware update. The torch failed mainly because the processor was not fast enough, most of the new handsets from RIM will be running a 1.1 ghz processor, and many will be featuring well made touchscreens.

RIM is being dumped on by the media simply because they haven't released a new phone in a little while... Which is odd, because even though Apple hasn't released a new phone, no one is saying they are about to go under are they? RIM's playbook sales have been higher than anticipated, and they have moved 13 million Blackberry's this year, not to mention all the profit they are making thanks to their acquisition of QNX. RIM is doing just fine.
With this type of press I'm more than positive in saying that RIM is floundering right now... http://profit.ndtv.com/news/show/blackberry-cuts-200-jobs-after-market-bleeding-161358

As for the Playbook sales... They're above analyst expectations but below RIM's... http://venturebeat.com/2011/06/22/rim-lowers-playbook-projections/#0_undefined,0_

Edit: oh and as for Apple's iPhone not getting the same type of press is because that thing sells. It's very very popular more so than BlackBerry that's for sure.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would like deeper Zune integration. Like make band/artist/song names clickable links in IE and Outlook/Gmail, and clicking them opens the song in Zune Marketplace, ready to stream download or purchase. Also, there *needs* to be a Zune Family Pass. I am not paying $15 a month for four people. For that matter, make it a tier on Xbox Live. I already have the family pass for that, it should extend to Zune.

Oh. And buy Hulu.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
With this type of press I'm more than positive in saying that RIM is floundering right now... BlackBerry cuts 200 jobs after market bleeding - NDTV Profit

As for the Playbook sales... They're above analyst expectations but below RIM's... RIM lowers PlayBook Q2 projections amid slow sales | VentureBeat

Edit: oh and as for Apple's iPhone not getting the same type of press is because that thing sells. It's very very popular more so than BlackBerry that's for sure.

I've seen all the press. I have a few friends who work for RIM, and they have assured me numerous times that RIM will be just fine. What you have to remember is that there will always be loyal IT departments that buy Blackberry's for the office, and internationally, the Blackberry is HUGE. RIM makes plenty of sales, but they just don't appeal to the youth market because they don't have as many stupid apps that Apple has to offer.

Q3 has a lot in store for RIM, as many as 6 new handsets will be released by RIM, with at least 3 of those featuring touchscreens that rival the resolution of most other smart phones, and processors that one up most of the ones on the market. Q3 will be a turning point for RIM, especially if they can get their new line out before Apple cranks out the Iphone 5.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I've seen all the press. I have a few friends who work for RIM, and they have assured me numerous times that RIM will be just fine. What you have to remember is that there will always be loyal IT departments that buy Blackberry's for the office, and internationally, the Blackberry is HUGE. RIM makes plenty of sales, but they just don't appeal to the youth market because they don't have as many stupid apps that Apple has to offer.

Q3 has a lot in store for RIM, as many as 6 new handsets will be released by RIM, with at least 3 of those featuring touchscreens that rival the resolution of most other smart phones, and processors that one up most of the ones on the market. Q3 will be a turning point for RIM, especially if they can get their new line out before Apple cranks out the Iphone 5.
It doesn't matter how big any market is, when a company goes from being worth about $80 billion to about $14 billion in a matter of a couple of years something is most definitely wrong. Honestly I don't care, they could go out of business it won't really affect me directly.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter how big any market is, when a company goes from being worth about $80 billion to about $14 billion in a matter of a couple of years something is most definitely wrong. Honestly I don't care, they could go out of business it won't really affect me directly.

Is it possible that they will go under? Yes. Is it likely that they will go under? No. There are companies that don't sell nearly as well as Blackberry, and they stay afloat just fine. RIM is here to stay for a long time, they're just losing a large percentage because now most teenagers are buying smart phones, and their desires are purely entertainment, and most couldn't care less about the huge holes in iOS that other platforms like Blackberry and WP7 excel in.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
IMHO, RIM *will* go under, unless they do like Nokia did and embrace a 3rd party operating system. They are the AOL of mobile operating systems, imho. They rely on users who simply do not know any better. That's not sustainable.

Huge holes in iOS? Do a little research. RIM caves *instantly* when a government entity wants your info. The only thing they have going for them is sturdy hardware.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
IMHO, RIM *will* go under, unless they do like Nokia did and embrace a 3rd party operating system. They are the AOL of mobile operating systems, imho. They rely on users who simply do not know any better. That's not sustainable.

Huge holes in iOS? Do a little research. RIM caves *instantly* when a government entity wants your info. The only thing they have going for them is sturdy hardware.

RIM has a very loyal user base, and that is what is going to keep them afloat. I know of RIM's past, and even with those things accounted for, the Blackberry is still the most secure smartphone. While Blackberry 6 is fairly outdated in comparison to the competition, Blackberry 7 from what I have seen of it is very very nice, and I think it will be their saving grace. I know that this isn't a Blackberry forum, but since I know people at RIM who have told me the opposite of what the media is reporting, I felt the need to bring it up.

Obviously since we are on a Windows phone forum there aren't that many Blackberry supporters, and until the announcement of the Blackberry Bold 9900, I wasn't really a supporter myself, I have hope for RIM, but they really need to speed up the release of their latest line, or they really might be facing trouble.

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
...and its not just the fact that they need to move quick, they are also going to need to innovate. The reason I say this is because the direction they're headed in, IMHO looks like they're gonna be just another one of those "grid of static icons" OS, just like Symbian, just like iOS, and just like Android. Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole "app drawer/grid of icons" model was started by Symbian, which is now dying, now BlackBerry (BlackBerry could've started this model first I think I can't remember) is the next in line with the similar model and is showing signs of going down. Apple is next, there are the first hints of them losing market share and forecasters see them losing out to windows phone. Currently, and the most recent platform to be successful with the icon layout is Android, the only real reason I see that one being so great is because of the free licensing, its pretty much the "whore OS" so to speak, and hey, who doesn't like the occasional easy f u c k right? OCCASIONAL being the operative word here Android will fall if only kept up with the outdated grid UI. I mean, wtf? Isn't the only reason the icon UI grabbed traction in popularity is because it resembled a very familiar setting (Windows desktops)? Now the very popular Windows Desktop's UI is changing to the metro design, which is starting to grab traction as well. Windows Phone already has that, so does that mean this next gen of Microsoft products are to be followed as well? It certainly seems that way given recent announcements *cough* iOS5 *cough*...

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
...and its not just the fact that they need to move quick, they are also going to need to innovate. The reason I say this is because the direction they're headed in, IMHO looks like they're gonna be just another one of those "grid of static icons" OS, just like Symbian, just like iOS, and just like Android. Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole "app drawer/grid of icons" model was started by Symbian, which is now dying, now BlackBerry (BlackBerry could've started this model first I think I can't remember) is the next in line with the similar model and is showing signs of going down. Apple is next, there are the first hints of them losing market share and forecasters see them losing out to windows phone. Currently, and the most recent platform to be successful with the icon layout is Android, the only real reason I see that one being so great is because of the free licensing, its pretty much the "whore OS" so to speak, and hey, who doesn't like the occasional easy f u c k right? OCCASIONAL being the operative word here Android will fall if only kept up with the outdated grid UI. I mean, wtf? Isn't the only reason the icon UI grabbed traction in popularity is because it resembled a very familiar setting (Windows desktops)? Now the very popular Windows Desktop's UI is changing to the metro design, which is starting to grab traction as well. Windows Phone already has that, so does that mean this next gen of Microsoft products are to be followed as well? It certainly seems that way given recent announcements *cough* iOS5 *cough*...

While I highly doubt that Windows 8 will see its way to regular desktops, if it starts making its way to tablets and touchscreen PC's, we'll probably see a big influx of WP7 users.

This is the kind of stuff that RIM has in store for their new models:

YouTube - ‪BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 Smartphones Full Touch Demo‬‏

YouTube - ‪Wikitude Augumented Reality Browser running on BlackBerry 7 on the BlackBerry Bold 9900‬‏

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
While I highly doubt that Windows 8 will see its way to regular desktops, if it starts making its way to tablets and touchscreen PC's, we'll probably see a big influx of WP7 users.

This is the kind of stuff that RIM has in store for their new models:

YouTube - ‪BlackBerry Bold 9900 and 9930 Smartphones Full Touch Demo‬‏

YouTube - ‪Wikitude Augumented Reality Browser running on BlackBerry 7 on the BlackBerry Bold 9900‬‏

yeah I've seen the BlackBerry stuff but I'd be damned to have half a mind to care, I honestly don't see them grabbing traction anymore. Windows 8 is most definitely going to be on desktops. It's Microsoft's plan for tablets, touch PCs, desktops and laptops.

3migo

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
yeah I've seen the BlackBerry stuff but I'd be damned to have half a mind to care, I honestly don't see them grabbing traction anymore. Windows 8 is most definitely going to be on desktops. It's Microsoft's plan for tablets, touch PCs, desktops and laptops.

They have definitely lost a large percentage of their fanbase.

I think Windows 8 would be awesome for tablets and touch PC's, but I'm not sure I can see it going onto standard PC's and laptops, but we'll see.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
RIM has a very loyal user base, and that is what is going to keep them afloat. I know of RIM's past, and even with those things accounted for, the Blackberry is still the most secure smartphone. While Blackberry 6 is fairly outdated in comparison to the competition, Blackberry 7 from what I have seen of it is very very nice, and I think it will be their saving grace. I know that this isn't a Blackberry forum, but since I know people at RIM who have told me the opposite of what the media is reporting, I felt the need to bring it up.

Obviously since we are on a Windows phone forum there aren't that many Blackberry supporters, and until the announcement of the Blackberry Bold 9900, I wasn't really a supporter myself, I have hope for RIM, but they really need to speed up the release of their latest line, or they really might be facing trouble.

My last phone before my Arrive was a BB Curve. My wife has a BB Tour. So when it comes to BlackBerry, I both love and hate the device. I log it because its email and hate it because they always seem to be slow and browsing not so good. However, the point here is RIM does not have a loyal base. In fact research shows people who currently have a BB are more likely to jump ship with their next upgrade. With my family, that's true. My dad upgraded from a Curve to an Epic. My wife will upgrade to an EVO or iPhone in August. And I went to WP7. And research backs up that we ar not a minority. As far as marktshare globally rim is loosing ground. RIM loses more U.S. market share to Apple, Google - International Business Times Of course WP7 is lower, but I don't think that will stay the same.

I do like rim, though. Their tablet rocks the house. But even tho I lik the company I don't own a BB and won't unless it radically changes course.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
They have definitely lost a large percentage of their fanbase.

I think Windows 8 would be awesome for tablets and touch PC's, but I'm not sure I can see it going onto standard PC's and laptops, but we'll see.

I thinks its odd to but they did say it works well with a mouse and keyboard interface ... Go back and listen to the video .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon