Wifi problem still not fixed??

gabfall

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi im 30 seconds from splattering my Samsung Focus all around the floor. Im really pissed off because i dont know if mango fixed the problem that when i put my phone to sleep it disconnects. was it suppost to fix it or is it my phone trying to mess with me or have i completely gone nuts? Microsoft is stupid, the phone disconnects from the network but the WIFI still stays on and its going to waste the same amount of battery connected or not. I depend on this thing since i have no data plan nor want one if i can use the wifi for free.. is there a way to fix this Microsoft Fail? I tell you in the morning i wast experiencing this and now its haunting me back. Is this suppost to happen.???

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Its not a "problem" its a behavior. The phone drops WIFI when the screensaver comes on to prevent fast battery drainage. IF you want WIFI to remain connected indefinitely keep your phone plugged into a power source or try disabling the screensaver.

L

lumic

I think it can absolutely be considered a problem for some. As an example, it's really annoying when I was using LazyTube beforehand. When I unlock LazyTube detects the lack of a data connection, and kicks me into offline mode.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
This used to be a big problem for me. I have an Omnia 7, and - while I have no particular issue with MS letting the WiFi drop - it would cause problems when it tried to reconnect. In fact, it only used to reconnect 5/6 times out of every 10 attempts.

Anyway, I'm happy to report that the new firmware that was delivered with the Mango update does appear to have fixed the issue for me. It does still disconnect when idle (we know that's the intended behaviour) but now, when I wake the phone, it reconnects pretty much instantly whereas before it would sit there for 20-30 seconds then time out. Since the update it has reconnected every time, almost instantly.

I do agree though that it is strange that MS runs the WiFi in this way (with it disconnecting when idle). The difference in battery life between having WiFi on but not connected, to having it on and connected all the time must be slight at most.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I do agree though that it is strange that MS runs the WiFi in this way (with it disconnecting when idle). The difference in battery life between having WiFi on but not connected, to having it on and connected all the time must be slight at most.

Android has the same behavior the only difference is there is an option to set wifi to never sleep. WIFI on but not connected is a bad bad idea WIFI constantly polling for networks will eat your battery like cookie monster at an all you can eat cookie buffet

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
WIFI on but not connected is a bad bad idea WIFI constantly polling for networks will eat your battery like cookie monster at an all you can eat cookie buffet

Well, that's kind of my point. Surely it must be better just to let the phone stay connected rather than dropping the connection and letting it sit there polling away.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, that's kind of my point. Surely it must be better just to let the phone stay connected rather than dropping the connection and letting it sit there polling away.

Once it drops WiFi under lock screen it doesn't look for a connection until the phone is woken up.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am sure I remember a story from Treo Central where a nurse need her WiFi on all the time on her Treo. Somebody wrote a script for it, but she had to keep her phone in a charging cradle all the time at work, due to the WiFi draining the battery.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I am sure I remember a story from Treo Central where a nurse need her WiFi on all the time on her Treo. Somebody wrote a script for it, but she had to keep her phone in a charging cradle all the time at work, due to the WiFi draining the battery.

AGAIN, if you leave your phone plugged into a power source WiFi remains persistent. The behavior is only for when your phone is not charging.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I think it can absolutely be considered a problem for some. As an example, it's really annoying when I was using LazyTube beforehand. When I unlock LazyTube detects the lack of a data connection, and kicks me into offline mode.

I think devs have control over this. They can allow their apps to force wifi to stay connected.

gabfall

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
yes but its stull stupid.. users should have the option over their own risk.. if they want to drain their battery then leave it on.. if you wanna save the battery then just turn off the wifi or turn on the battery saver.. mango has a battery saver.. soo i think its best for users to have this option over their own risk... its not microsoft's problems its the users problem if their battery drains

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
there's a users voting site for things yo put in the next update you can cast up to ten votes for a choice thats in the list or make up your own. Theres an article about the site here in WPC news.

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
yes but its stull stupid.. users should have the option over their own risk.. if they want to drain their battery then leave it on.. if you wanna save the battery then just turn off the wifi or turn on the battery saver.. mango has a battery saver.. soo i think its best for users to have this option over their own risk... its not microsoft's problems its the users problem if their battery drains

This is the kind of decision and trade offs that microsoft had to make. There's always a trade off among different decision. Can't make everybody happy.

For this one they decided to force wifi Off rather than having the people to make their own decision. Why? Because if they let us choose our own settings, I'm sure advanced users like you and I may not make a mistake, but most of the casual users of WP (and that's usually a majority) may set the setting to always ON without thinking which will drain the battery.

Guess what will happen then? More people will complain to Microsoft why my battery is dead in just a few hours of use.

See the point?

mtmjr90

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry, but this is ridiculous. During the course of my day, I am often in buildings for extended periods of time with no data coverage. I use Google Voice and Googe Talk for texting, so it would be fine to just connect to WiFi and go about my business....that is, if not for this extremely annoying behavior.

If nothing else, make this behavior default, but give me the OPTION to change it. If the argument is that casual users would complain about battery drain because they cannot figure out how to manage their WiFi settings, then giving them the option wouldn't cause any problems since they wouldn't know how to change it anyway (or such is the argument).

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Jdavisger

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a problem for me...

+1000. Ok, battery life will suffer with both radios on. I NEED to get my google voice texts and emails and my house is a black hole of cellular data. Every phone OS out there will let you do this including Windows Mobile 6. I hope a solution can be found or this shinny new phone is going to ebay and I'm back to android.....

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
I think it has to do with the fact that 99% of the users that can afford a Smartphone also can afford a dataplan. Wi-Fi has never ever been considred as a replacement of 3G data, only a enhancement when you're at home.

gabfall

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
well ook maybe users may complaint but if their is an option for it then they cant complaint because it could be just like android.. the wifi sleep policy.. sure anyone can afford the data plan but remember that 3G signal isnt everywhere ;) who cares about the battery.. its your own risk and if you know your going to be a wifi junkie then be smart and take your charger everywhere because i waste more battery leaving the phone screen on soo it can be connected to the wifi..

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
While I do agree that the average user wouldn't know how to set their WiFi connection to sleep or stay on, I think the solution that would make everyone happy is if they could script in a patch that would detect what the state of the users' cellular connection. If it is not 3G then the WiFi would stay connected while sleep.

That, or make it an option to turn it on or off with a prompt message with terms that the user HAS to read and accept telling them that their battery MAY DRAIN if this option is enabled. They already do it for the "Find My Phone" connection services, where they let the user know (in parenthesis, however) that this option may cause faster battery drain. The only difference would be that the prompt would HAVE to be flagged for them to continue to change the option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99