WindowsPhone: Getting started!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
welcome-to-wp.gif

Don't forget to vote in the poll or leave feedback please! thank you :)

Hello Windows Phone Family or soon to be members :)

Basically I’m going to be breaking down a few things related to WP in General that are not that OBVIOUS and hopefully help some of you out in the proses.

First things first:
If you have questions, here at WPcentral we have a GREAT community and most of us are willing to help and answer any question you may have. So don’t be Shy :)

Don't forget to support your own family by Downloading the WPCENTRAL APP! (lol)

If we cant help you you can try Home - Microsoft Answers or here Microsoft Support
If you have any Complaints’ OR Suggestion you would like to share with MICROSOFT you can try here: Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

If your looking for local WP members you can try our NEW WP meet up section

General information related to WP.

1: Syncing your WP (PC, MAC and Contacts)
2: Apps , games and Development!:
3: Battery, tips and tricks:
4: Updates: General information(break down of features):
5: Unlocking your Windows Phone:
6: Hardware & SD cards:
7: UH OH! I broke my phone!!:
8: Customizing your WP:
9: Metro UI
10: Miscellaneous( Privacy, Ecosystem, Easter Eggs)
11: Diagnostic Menu and tweaks:
12.WindowsPhone: FAQ
13.Everyting Mango including How To's, Update Information
14.Not so well known WP7 functionality: windowsphone
15:.How to get the most of your Windows Ecosystem

If you Have any Questions or Feedback, Please post them in their appropriate Threads. thanks :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Added: (updated April 19th 2012,)

- Diagnostic Menu and tweaks:
- no so well know functions:
- WP , FAQ
- mango how too's
How to get the most of your Windows Ecosystem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Stop being all Microsofty (US Biased) se1fcr3ation. :(

Launch day was October the 21st for me LOL :)

I enjoyed your rant apart from that bit. ;)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Stop being all Microsofty (US Biased) se1fcr3ation. :(

Launch day was October the 21st for me LOL :)

I enjoyed your rant apart from that bit. ;)

yeah it was late October for me as well but LG quantum came out at bell on oct 3rd

lol i dont think im bias , i was just pointing out some stuff . lol

if you have an Iphone: i respect your choice
same thing goes for BB, Android, Webos ,Synbian w/e ...

i basically had the idea of pointing this out cause allot of people are UNFAIRLY bashing MS for things they are or not doing

Lack of Information is a HUGE problem now a dayz with people. ( specially regular consumers)
They basically think they know it all but they never crossed the river to see what was on the other side..

Reminds me for the DARK AGES…. I don’t understand.. BURN HER!! SHES A WITCHE! lol

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
When your first statement is wrong, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the statement. LOL. SOFTWARE CAN AFFECT BATTERY LIFE. GREATLY!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Keep calm! I was just joking Se1fcr3ation :)

oh im calm!! as calm as can be... you know my nick name at work is * FREAK OUT* lol...

When your first statement is wrong, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the statement. LOL. SOFTWARE CAN AFFECT BATTERY LIFE. GREATLY!

think you miss understood.
your software CANNOT KILL a battery but it can affect the life of it depending on power requirements(live tiles , GPS location ect.. ) to run the software ( like i said, so thanx for backing me :) ) ill edit the post and make it clear for you :)

battery draining faster
and
battery being KILLED are 2 different things :)

what statement is wrong?? the battery thing? or something else?

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I must have read it wrong. People are claiming that their battery has DIED due to Mango? That's just ROTFLMAO.
oh im calm!! as calm as can be... you know my nick name at work is * FREAK OUT* lol...

think you miss understood.
your software CANNOT KILL a battery but it can affect the life of it depending on power requirements(live tiles , GPS location ect.. ) to run the software ( like i said, so thanx for backing me :) ) ill edit the post and make it clear for you :)

battery draining faster
and
battery being KILLED are 2 different things :)

what statement is wrong?? the battery thing? or something else?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Nice rant some good take it to hart stuff for those new to WP7. On battery life and mango when it comes to my Arrive I think Sprint fubared the radio sittings. Some battery issues after the Mango update might not be Mango issues at all.

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have improved battery performance. I have much more going on with my phone now (live tiles, Social media updates, etc) and happen to play with my phone much more and the battery seems to last the same amount of time. Not much problem making it through the day.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
2. Your new to WP7 when you got your phone the first time you dint drain it then give it a full charge and now your battery is DOA.

I am pretty sure your statement is incorrect here. Nowadays Lion batteries do not need to be fully drained before the first charge. It doesn't have the memory effect as opposed to the old school NiMH batteries.

The logic is actually completely reversed!

You don't want to fully drain your battery many times because the battery has only life time of a few hundred cycles of recharging. So keep it at moderate level constantly is really important. Most advanced battery controls (e.g. the batteries for ThinkPad laptops) can specify that the battery gets charged when down to 60% but will only be charged to 96%, not 100%.

The bottomline is, the modern Lion batteries do not require getting fully drained before the first charge, and it's not even recommended to do so.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty sure your statement is incorrect here. Nowadays Lion batteries do not need to be fully drained before the first charge. It doesn't have the memory effect as opposed to the old school NiMH batteries.

The logic is actually completely reversed!

You don't want to fully drain your battery many times because the battery has only life time of a few hundred cycles of recharging. So keep it at moderate level constantly is really important. Most advanced battery controls (e.g. the batteries for ThinkPad laptops) can specify that the battery gets charged when down to 60% but will only be charged to 96%, not 100%.

The bottomline is, the modern Lion batteries do not require getting fully drained before the first charge, and it's not even recommended to do so.

your right ,

thanks for the heads up ill Edit post accordingly :)

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
your right ,

thanks for the heads up ill Edit post accordingly :)

=)

Also, the most damaging factor of a battery is the temperature. That's why if any cellphone has the problem of overheating, the battery life is getting much worse after a while.

Wow, never thought this would turn into a li-on battery info thread. Sorry!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
"A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger."

This is impossible. I tried turning off my phone before charging; I tried turning it off while charging. Either way, the result is the same: it turns back on automatically! Apart from that, good stuff by and large...

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
WP7 devices do not allow them to off while charging. I am not sure of the reason why but I have learned to live with it

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why is Microsoft even introducing dual cores to the platform??/ Is it because of the Mobile market race? The OS is smooth and has no lags, apps are running fine so what the heck?:mad:

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
You are right, but all things have to evolve. We are getting more apps, better games that require more CPU activity, that's just the way it is.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
OP: A really fantastic post and I'm glad that the forum has someone like yourself.

P.s. It's few not phew. Got to keep the English language going here people

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
:mad:Will a wi-fi hotspot functionality ever come to lumia 710......?

wifi hot spot or tethering is a upgrade that has to be sent by the carrier ( deppending if they support it) If your carrier does support it , it should just be a matter of time before you get it :)

Why is Microsoft even introducing dual cores to the platform??/ Is it because of the Mobile market race? The OS is smooth and has no lags, apps are running fine so what the heck?:mad:

Duel-core is going to be more and more needed by all smartphones even do the OS is smoth and lagless , there was no point for them to rush it out BUT now we are starting to see apps/games/features that require higher prossesing power , so duel-core (quad-core) will be a nice extra in the future.

OP: A really fantastic post and I'm glad that the forum has someone like yourself.

P.s. It's few not phew. Got to keep the English language going here people

thanks excalibur1814

my spelling is not the best i know, lol , im sorry , i fixed the word ;) lol

i apreciate the feed back :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3