Thurrott's Mango vs. iOS5 comparison

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
"Windows Phone 7.5 is quite competitive from iOS 5, and which you choose may very well depend solely on your preferences. If prefer more apps or the safety of numbers, the iPhone and iOS is where it's at. But if you want a truly superior software experience, Windows Phone is the obvious choice."

Decent article, not too in depth but a good read.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article...947?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What's he doing a review for. Didn't he say there was no way MS would be able to release Mango this year, and it's only October. :)

" Windows Phone, going back to the iPhone is like going back in time, and while I appreciate that this won't make sense to those who have never gazed out beyond their sheltered iLives,.."

Why do remarks have to be "sheltered" and "sheep" Comments like these don't really help anything but start flame wars. Many people who use WP7 are ex iPhone users [myself] who were never fanboys or a damn sheep. Just preferred the iPhone.

Last edited:

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
He does make some good points. WP7 OS makes iOS [and Android] feel outdated.
**not going to call out the fact that he was using a 2009 phone with 2011 software**

froesei

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
hes been using wp for 15months? to bad it hasent been out that long.... ah well atllease he likes it :p

If you're going to criticize someone, it helps to be familiar with the person you're criticizing. Thurrott had a WP7 device well before it's official release, as he was writing a book called "Window's Phone Secrets". So he's definitely been using WP7 for 15 months.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, this isn't good publicity. Thurrott is a monumental tool - well known for being a Microsoft shill and writing pieces deliberately aiming to atract annoyed Apple fans to pump up his page hit count. While I might agree with many of his points about WP7, the fact he's incapable of penning a comparison without reverting to writing like a ****** just makes it all pointless. His complete lack of objectivity would be hilarious in a blogger. In an alleged unbiased tech writer it's ludicrous.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
" Windows Phone, going back to the iPhone is like going back in time, and while I appreciate that this won't make sense to those who have never gazed out beyond their sheltered iLives,.."

Why do remarks have to be "sheltered" and "sheep" Comments like these don't really help anything but start flame wars. Many people who use WP7 are ex iPhone users [myself] who were never fanboys or a damn sheep. Just preferred the iPhone.

You are an anomaly. Take it as a compliment.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Sadly, this isn't good publicity. Thurrott is a monumental tool - well known for being a Microsoft shill and writing pieces deliberately aiming to atract annoyed Apple fans to pump up his page hit count. While I might agree with many of his points about WP7, the fact he's incapable of penning a comparison without reverting to writing like a ****** just makes it all pointless. His complete lack of objectivity would be hilarious in a blogger. In an alleged unbiased tech writer it's ludicrous.

Oh how things change. He was dismissed as one of MS's biggest critics this past year by people on this forum. Just read through windowsphonesecrets.com around the time of the Nodo update

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I always thought he was MS equivalent to Walt Mossberg. It's like they cancel each other out.
Amen! He seems to lose all credibility once the name calling starts.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think he hits the definition head on. I'm pretty sure he's going to get a lot of clicks from the Apple fans for his comments. Intentionally done if you ask me.
People may want to look up the definition of shill. Thurrott's relationship with Microsoft is well known.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I think he hits the definition head on. I'm pretty sure he's going to get a lot of clicks from the Apple fans for his comments. Intentionally done if you ask me.

A shill is someone who hides their affiliation. Thurrott does nothing of the kind. He's no gem or anything, but not even close to a shill.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
What's he doing a review for. Didn't he say there was no way MS would be able to release Mango this year, and it's only October. :)

He does have a point. The complete aversion of all the iphone users I encounter at work to even consider WP as an alternative confirms his remarks, though not his method of delivery. You are certainly one of the few who see beyond having a certain number of apps on your platform almost as a personal achievement, and can appreciate the good things in WP7. The people I talk to at work (and I work in IT, so I'm talking to Windows & Linux sys admins, database devs) react as though you are asking them to give up their lives when you mention an alternative smartphone. Especially they guy who had a 6.5 device previously, he shows off apps and acts as though no other platform has the same capabilities. This is my experience and reports suggest the majority of iphone users are also like that. You are def one of the few exceptions to that mindset. Dont think he's a shill though, some of his anti-MS rants about WP7 in the past have been head scratching when looked at as coming from an MS fan.

On the other hand, as a confirmed WP7 ****** I agree 1000% with Mr T's review! Go WP7, Yay! :D

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
His points are dead on. I agree that WP7 is the better OS. It's hard to get people to make a leap of faith to a new OS and get into a two year contract. I think people like to keep using what they are familiar with. I'm a huge fan of WP7, but I'd be willing to give another OS a try in a heartbeat.
He does have a point. The complete aversion of all the iphone users I encounter at work to even consider WP as an alternative confirms his remarks, though not his method of delivery. You are certainly one of the few who see beyond having a certain number of apps on your platform almost as a personal achievement, and can appreciate the good things in WP7. The people I talk to at work (and I work in IT, so I'm talking to Windows & Linux sys admins, database devs) react as though you are asking them to give up their lives when you mention an alternative smartphone. Especially they guy who had a 6.5 device previously, he shows off apps and acts as though no other platform has the same capabilities. This is my experience and reports suggest the majority of iphone users are also like that. You are def one of the few exceptions to that mindset. Dont think he's a shill though, some of his anti-MS rants about WP7 in the past have been head scratching when looked at as coming from an MS fan.

On the other hand, as a confirmed WP7 ****** I agree 1000% with Mr T's review! Go WP7, Yay! :D

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
A shill is someone who hides their affiliation. Thurrott does nothing of the kind. He's no gem or anything, but not even close to a shill.

Maybe, but he DOES maintain that he's an objective writer when he's no such thing, and that marks him out as a shill for me. For example, I remember reading an absurdly snide article he wrote dismissing the iPhone because it had no cut and paste (and at the time WM did). Yet strangely, when WP7 launched the lack of cut and paste was no longer an issue.

He also heavily censors any comments to his blogs to make it look like everyone agrees with him. So a fragile ego on top of a complete lack of objectivity. As I say, I agree with a lot of what he says about WP7, but the point is WP7 could be awful and/or iOS5 could be perfect, and he'd still slate the latter and praise the former. And that's what makes his review worse than not having it at all - people will just think it's another bought off piece and ignore it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes