This OS is in desperate need of a 2nd home screen.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could merge live tiles. For example - you press and hold to move or merge a tile. When the tile un-pins, you're prompted with a message "Move tile or merge". After tapping 'merge' it then allows you to drag and drop it onto a compatible tile. In context, you could merge your calculator app with your world clock, percentages app, timer, note pad, etc. Once you're done, the tile would flip on the home screen to show what apps it's merged with.

Thats a great idea and I would love to see it implemented, but its the same concept as folders... So Im just curious as to why you hate them so much

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Thats a great idea and I would love to see it implemented, but its the same concept as folders... So Im just curious as to why you hate them so much

Putting it simply, they're not 'live' and restrict the OS. IMO, WP's strengths are through forward thinking, e.g. live tiles, connecting apps, people hub, threads, etc. It's what happens when people think 'outside of the box'. Folders work, but it's just so monotonous, tiresome, and characterless. When I think of the future of Windows Phone, I don't see files within folders, within numerous other folders. It's so yesterday. I think of A.I orientated live tiles that can merge and talk to each other in order to power-up the OS where it's needed - for user experience - .

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I accually have that and Ive made verticle home screens with it. But the problem is the display of tiles just keeps getting longer and the more apps you add, the more you need to reconfigure the groups that were made. Although 'new groups' is a nice tool, it feels like just another work-around in this OS.

Although, I agree that it can get pretty long, I feel like it is faster than having multiple homescreens like Android. With one swipe, at a modest speed, I can get through 2-3 groups (assuming each group is 4 tiles high). With the traditional type, one swipe to the left or right only gets you one screen over. You need to swipe more to get to the third or fourth. With WP, you just swipe harder to get to the third or fourth group. Less effort with WP.

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I use new group to separate certain apps. It doesn't help with notifications.

I agree. I wouldn't mind a separate screen to the left for notifications. Or why not a separate app altogether. Maybe the notification count could sit at the right, below the arrow on the homescreen. And when tapped on, a new window opens up with all the information.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Live tiles 1st screen static tiles 2nd I use tell me to open static apps - the best way of doing things :)

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I wouldn't mind a separate screen to the left for notifications. Or why not a separate app altogether. Maybe the notification count could sit at the right, below the arrow on the homescreen. And when tapped on, a new window opens up with all the information.
I agree. Theres a good amount of unused space under that arrow...does anyone accually use that arrow in the first place?

sayonical

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
i suppose they could make it more liek Android....

i would MUCH RATHER custom HUBs as well ( Metro vershion of folders)

one thing i would like do, is to SWIPE towards BING SEARCH and not have to hit the search icon, hehe

LOL thats the iPhone way! Maybe if they implement univeral search...

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Swiping to the multiple homescreens has been done by android, meego, prefer something more WP7.

Don't forget about Windows Mobile! :) My Imagio with CHTE has it.

A notification screen is the only thing I would like to see.

I thought the same thing, but what about if they just allowed apps to place notifications inside the "Me" tile? That's where I already go to check Facebook and Twitter notifications, anyway. They just need to open it up.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Theres a good amount of unused space under that arrow...does anyone accually use that arrow in the first place?

I'm seriously thinking about starting a "Lose the Arrow" campaign. I hate the arrow. It really is completely ridiculous. The purpose of it is supposed to be so you know you can swipe over to the app list, but seriously....once you've used the OS for the first time, you now know the app list is over there. No need for a constant visual reminder, especially when it's taking up space that could be better utilized....say, by having tiles go 3 across instead of 2.

As for the other stuff in the thread: While I don't need folders or other forms of organization on the start screen (I don't keep a ton of apps pinned), I would like a way to better organize the app list. I'm also fine with the current notifications.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the metro UI has an odd off-set look because of the arrow. Lose the arrow and instead of adding a 3rd tile, space the 2 colomns in the center. 3 tiles wide would look too much like ios and Id have to get rid of my phone..lol. Swipe to the left to the app list(and I agree, it needs much improvement) and swipe to the right to another home screen for better organization. Then this phone would be killer

anon(5325135)

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
What I ask for is to swipe to the left to see a notifications center to see all of your notifications that you missed. I miss way too many notifications and don't know from what app it came from.

Also, a second homescreen might be a good idea, but not entirely sure if Microsoft will add it or even consider it.

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the arrow. I love the the way it spins when you swipe over. That arrow is honestly the thing that first made me fall in love with this OS when playing with display HD7's at T-Mobile store. It was very visually appealing to me and made me desire to explore the rest of the OS.

I think the solution (as I do have this problem too) is a notification screen or app. I think the best way would be swipe to the right for a notifications screen.

Another great option would be to add a press and hold function for the search button. Back brings you multi-tasking, Home brings you TellMe, Search brings you.... well.... nothing. Why not have holding search bring up your notifications app.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
If a downward swipe were recognized versus a smooth scroll, and pushed you down (or up) a certain number of tile-spaces, I would agree with the folks that say it is fine the way it is.

The thing is, smooth scrolling in any direction doesn't lend itself well to muscle memory. If a quick swipe always loaded a pre-determined number of new targets, then I can learn that, for example, three swipes puts me on my communication apps, while only two swipes puts me on my social network apps (or however I have arranged them).

That is the big benefit to multiple screens - you can swipe over to the group of apps you want without really looking or thinking about it at all.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I like the arrow. I love the the way it spins when you swipe over. That arrow is honestly the thing that first made me fall in love with this OS when playing with display HD7's at T-Mobile store. It was very visually appealing to me and made me desire to explore the rest of the OS.

I think the solution (as I do have this problem too) is a notification screen or app. I think the best way would be swipe to the right for a notifications screen.

Another great option would be to add a press and hold function for the search button. Back brings you multi-tasking, Home brings you TellMe, Search brings you.... well.... nothing. Why not have holding search bring up your notifications app.

Are you all forgetting that WP already has a notification screen in the Me tile? It just needs to be available to other apps. :)

What about making the Search-hold go to TellMe instead of holding Home and then holding Home bring you to the notifications page of your Me tile?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I can generally (90% of the time) swipe to the app area I want. I know how long it takes to get to each area with my standard swipe strength.

Are you all forgetting that WP already has a notification screen in the Me tile? It just needs to be available to other apps. :)

What about making the Search-hold go to TellMe instead of holding Home and then holding Home bring you to the notifications page of your Me tile?

I for one DO NOT want my app notification intermixed with my social network notifications. I would hate that. As far as holding search for TellMe and Home for notifications, I would LOVE that. I hold the search button expecting TellMe all the time (hold over from my Android days where holding search brings up your voice search). I think it would make a lot of sense. The Notifications section could have a Apps section and a People (info found in people hub plus maybe texts and missed calls) section to swipe between.

Last edited:

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
swipe hard and then when you get to the tile touch the screen and it instantly stops..

I think it's great the way it is

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes