This OS is in desperate need of a 2nd home screen.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what they do - they won't be able to make everyone happy. I, for one, and I hope you all agree, that as long as they make *me* happy, things will be okay.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what they do - they won't be able to make everyone happy. I, for one, and I hope you all agree, that as long as they make *me* happy, things will be okay.

I just want them to do SOMETHING to address the issue.

blackprince

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
But why have tonnes of apps pinned to the start screen in the first place. I really haven't found a huge amount of apps I want pinned to the start screen. The ones I do have I place in order of use from top to bottom and have a pretty good idea where they are. When I need other apps I have I scroll to App List and jump to the letter. Its fast and it keeps your start screen clean.

I do like the idea of having some more notifications in the Me tile though but folders meh. Maybe another Hub but maybe not.

sayonical

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I can generally (90% of the time) swipe to the app area I want. I know how long it takes to get to each area with my standard swipe strength.

I for one DO NOT want my app notification intermixed with my social network notifications. I would hate that. As far as holding search for TellMe and Home for notifications, I would LOVE that. I hold the search button expecting TellMe all the time (hold over from my Android days where holding search brings up your voice search). I think it would make a lot of sense. The Notifications section could have a Apps section and a People (info found in people hub plus maybe texts and missed calls) section to swipe between.

I would prefer holding the search (Bing) key to activate universal search. Therefore if I'm any where in the OS and I want to look up anything from an email, song, document to the web using Bing itself I'd long press the search key to bring up a pivot screen for universal search with swipe to pivots for "apps" "music" "docs" "email" "web".

As for app notifications either swipe to the left or use the multitasking view to show the notifications as well as app cards.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would prefer holding the search (Bing) key to activate universal search. Therefore if I'm any where in the OS and I want to look up anything from an email, song, document to the web using Bing itself I'd long press the search key to bring up a pivot screen for universal search with swipe to pivots for "apps" "music" "docs" "email" "web".

As for app notifications either swipe to the left or use the multitasking view to show the notifications as well as app cards.

Sent from my HTC Titan using Board Express

I see no reason for universal search to be separate from the standard search. Just add a fourth pane to the search hub so we have web, images, local, and device. Use a long press of search for TellMe and a long press of home for notification hub.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Minus the notifications, I love the homescreen layout that WP has. More homescreens would make it more iOS or Android like, IMHO.

If they added the ability to make custom hubs (which I believe they will one day do), that would probably be the way to go.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I think the solution (as I do have this problem too) is a notification screen or app. I think the best way would be swipe to the right for a notifications screen.

Another great option would be to add a press and hold function for the search button. Back brings you multi-tasking, Home brings you TellMe, Search brings you.... well.... nothing. Why not have holding search bring up your notifications app.

I wonder why microsoft never thought of such a great and practical idea..

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
The main design of WP focuses on Live Tile an all in 1 notification screen the best thing to do is put your most wanted notification tiles on top and go from there.

The second screen is to search for all apps the best way I find is to just search by letter but recently I been using Tellme to open static apps works great

WP should have a notification light like Blackberry which puts everything in your ME tile. Maybe MS needs to re-design the Me Tile and you can either
1. Click on the tile to see all your notifications
2. Swipe to the left to see all your ME notifications

I am sure MS will do something about this the more APPS the phone is getting the bigger the demand for a better notification center

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Minus the notifications, I love the homescreen layout that WP has. More homescreens would make it more iOS or Android like, IMHO.

I dont think one more home screen or a dedicated notifications menu would make wp7 anything near android or ios- like. I think it would make it more 'smartphone'- like.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I can generally (90% of the time) swipe to the app area I want. I know how long it takes to get to each area with my standard swipe strength.

I for one DO NOT want my app notification intermixed with my social network notifications. I would hate that. As far as holding search for TellMe and Home for notifications, I would LOVE that. I hold the search button expecting TellMe all the time (hold over from my Android days where holding search brings up your voice search). I think it would make a lot of sense. The Notifications section could have a Apps section and a People (info found in people hub plus maybe texts and missed calls) section to swipe between.

That is a good point. Maybe you could filter like you can with your social networks on the people hub. That takes so little time, but it is very useful when I want to filter out things, such as Tweets. Maybe they could do the same with the kinds of notifications. Or maybe they could even make notification groups. I dunno. There is probably a simpler answer, and I bet Microsoft already has it implemented in Apollo. :)

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
i suppose they could make it more liek Android....

i would MUCH RATHER custom HUBs as well ( Metro vershion of folders)

one thing i would like do, is to SWIPE towards BING SEARCH and not have to hit the search icon, hehe

Nah. the search button is better because it works everywhere.

However, I do wish I could swipe right on the home screen to get a list of recent toast notifications that I can then touch to go straight to the app. What I DON'T want is a notification tile. I already have too many tiles. Getting hard to find anything. However, the ability to create new hub tiles (like folders) into which I can put similar apps would be really nice.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think this is the best idea, if an entire notifications screen isn't available. Some type of grouping would be needed though. I have a ton of @ notifications messages there already.
Are you all forgetting that WP already has a notification screen in the Me tile? It just needs to be available to other apps. :)

What about making the Search-hold go to TellMe instead of holding Home and then holding Home bring you to the notifications page of your Me tile?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I rarely ever use Bing. I much prefer google and I've created a tile with a picture of the google toolbar using 'my live tile', that links to the Google search engine. I think the search key should allow you to do a global search of your phone.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Nah. the search button is better because it works everywhere.

However, I do wish I could swipe right on the home screen to get a list of recent toast notifications that I can then touch to go straight to the app. What I DON'T want is a notification tile. I already have too many tiles. Getting hard to find anything. However, the ability to create new hub tiles (like folders) into which I can put similar apps would be really nice.
Like you, I defnintely DON'T need yet another tile. The notification screen would be killer. I don't want to create folders or custom hubs, though.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I rarely ever use Bing. I much prefer google and I've created a tile with a picture of the google toolbar using 'my live tile', that links to the Google search engine. I think the search key should allow you to do a global search of your phone.
LOL I also have the mobile Google search page pinned to my Start screen.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Who told you that? So the main screen hold 8 tiles, 7 if you use a wide tile. There are 40,000 apps available. Seems like a shortsighted idea, if that was how it was designed. Plus, the main apps people normally use "Phone, email, text" have notifications on the screen. Go figure.
The main design of WP focuses on Live Tile an all in 1 notification screen the best thing to do is put your most wanted notification tiles on top and go from there.

The second screen is to search for all apps the best way I find is to just search by letter but recently I been using Tellme to open static apps works great

WP should have a notification light like Blackberry which puts everything in your ME tile. Maybe MS needs to re-design the Me Tile and you can either
1. Click on the tile to see all your notifications
2. Swipe to the left to see all your ME notifications

I am sure MS will do something about this the more APPS the phone is getting the bigger the demand for a better notification center

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes