Windows Phone 8 (Apollo) for all devices?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll give you a few obvious examples. Background GPS services do not function on the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 4 doesn't have a GPS or Cell Radio so its build gets rid of all that code (Phone Dialer, etc.). That is why software like Vlingo never supported Messaging on the iTouch. It never had a Native Messaging app until iOS5 (and then only can be used for iMessages since it's not a phone).

The builds differ. Apple doesn't just bloat up the devices with code that is useless in them. They tailor each build to the device.

Siri has nothing to do with it. That's a software component they chose to make optional for the 4S because they can. The Hardware bump in the 4S is good enough to warrant an upgrade for anyone who preferred a better device.

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll give you a few obvious examples. Background GPS services do not function on the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 4 doesn't have a GPS or Cell Radio so its build gets rid of all that code (Phone Dialer, etc.). That is why software like Vlingo never supported Messaging on the iTouch. It never had a Native Messaging app until iOS5 (and then only can be used for iMessages since it's not a phone).

The builds differ. Apple doesn't just bloat up the devices with code that is useless in them. They tailor each build to the device.

Siri has nothing to do with it. That's a software component they chose to make optional for the 4S because they can. The Hardware bump in the 4S is good enough to warrant an upgrade for anyone who preferred a better device.

we're talking about phones here, not iPod touches.

Obvbiously an mp3 player isn't going to have the same build as a mobile phone....

Kid251822

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't really want to stop the debate,but I have some more queries...
1. Speech for WP7, on the website says it's available for a list of limited countries...have they updated the locations to show more countries or are they still restricted to the ones mentioned? (Ie. Is India now included?)
2. The Zune sign up sets the default language as Hindi for India with no option for English...what do I do?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes