Need help pairing Focus S with TriSpecs

droman.redroman

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi:

I am a WebOs convert with a new Focus S.

I am trying to use my TriSpecs bluetooth sunglasses with the new Focus S, but can't seem to get them to function as a bluetooth stereo headset. They worked flawlessly with my Pre Plus.

When I try to pair them, I have to put the TriSpecs into discover mode every time (after the first time, they would just pair up with my pre plus). Once I do that and click on them in the list in the Focus S under Settings/Bluetooth, the phone shows the device "Eyewear" connected. Also, when I touch the top of the phone to display the status bar, the bluetooth icon does show. However, the phone does not seem to want to send any audio to the TriSpecs, and if I make a call the Bluetooth option is still greyed out in the phone screen.

I have a Scosche Motormouth bluetooth accessory in my car, which I was seemingly able to pair with the Focus S ... but I will have to give it a better test later in the day when I am travelling, as I'm not positive that the phone wasn't just picking up my voice from the phone's speaker, and I didn't have any audio-out to test on the phone at the time.

Can anyone with some more advanced WP7 experience give me some hints at what might be going wrong and/or how to fix the pairing with the TriSpecs? I am a seasoned IT pro, so no need to dumb-down any answers.

Thanks!

droman.redroman

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Update

Just a quick update to note that I was able to pair the Focus S with my Scosche Motormouth bluetooth accessory in my car and use it as a wireless headset.

I am still unable to figure out the TriSpecs problem, though. I remember that when I originally paired the TriSpecs with my Pre Plus, I needed to enter a "0000" passcode in the phone; however, when I pair using the Focus S, it never asks for a passcode and I don't see anywhere to enter one. Not sure if that is even the issue, as the phone seems to pair with the TriSpecs and recognize them as a bluetooth device, just not as a headset type of device.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

spokanedj

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I was able to pair the Focus S with my Sony Bluetooth deck, Nokia Headphones and Jabra headphones. For most devices of type headset, Windows Phone will try "0000" for you, which typically will allow pairing w/out you having to enter the code. I did notice some devices after updating to Mango where asking for a key that didn't on NoDo.

If you already have a pair in the Phone, try long-holding the headset and selecting "delete" and re-pairing them. I did have a scenario this eveninging where my Phone thought it was paied to my Sony Deck and toggling BT on/off on both didn't fix it. Eventually re-started the phone and it worked. First time I've seen that one. My phone was ringing as I was getting into the car and something in the discover/pair seemed to hang.

droman.redroman

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Quick update: I was able to get the TriSpecs to pair and play music, although I'm not sure what made that work and I didn't test to see if they will pair successfully again or be able to be used for making phone calls. I should find that out tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks to "spokanedj", who suggested deleting the TriSpecs from my bluetooth list on the Focus S, that may have helped. I did that and also made a few other changes, including loading new music onto the device and getting a new "4G" sim card, among others. I didn't really do this in an isolated, measured manner so as to know what may have influenced the pairing with the TriSpecs, so I can't say what in the end made the phone begin to interact with the device as a bluetooth headset. But my guess is that it was probably mostly related to deleting the TriSpecs from the bluetooth list and then re-adding them.

droman.redroman

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Another quick update: the TriSpecs still do not pair as a wireless headset. I can send music to them, but not use them for phone calls. It seems like they are pairing as wireless headphones rather than a wireless headset.

There seems to be little control that I can exert over the pairing as far as telling it what type of device it is, so my guess is that I'm ultimately probably going to give up on using the TriSpecs as a headset. I really bought them for running, and it would be nice to be able to use them as a headset when I'm on a run so that I could take important calls if necessary, but it seems like perhaps the TriSpecs just have some sort of a bug with Windows Phone. Other bluetooth headsets and my handsfree car device seem to pair OK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon