Stephen Elop Interview (Competition & The Future)

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
He talks about fragmentation a lot yet there are a few different versions of the os out there and not all the phones have it so it really is in the same boat as android is. Especially since the carriers have the choice about updates and such.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
MAn what a LONG read!!!!

there goes my first break , my launch break and my last break...... lol

im glad to see hes positive about the NOKIA WP.. as we should all be! they are selling and will continue to sell for many years ( well maybe not many but at lease 1 or 2 more years )

also like how he talks about apps being a problem ( missing BIG names ) and how he hints to some what being involved.. to me that says he personally pushing DEVELOPER to switch over.. and when a CEO pushes you .. normally things get done :) hehehe ..

lots of positive things here..

thanks Weebear for taking away all my breaks :D .. hehe ;)

He talks about fragmentation a lot yet there are a few different versions of the os out there and not all the phones have it so it really is in the same boat as android is. Especially since the carriers have the choice about updates and such.

hes talks about preventing it....

what do you mean different OS version? we only have ONE version of WP mango ( unless your still pre-mango for some reason) we have different FIRMWARE versions , but the OS only has one. and firmware doesn't effect the OS directly. ( in term of fragmentation)

Elop adds:

"We don't want that fragmentation introduced into Windows Phone because we are beginning to see how in a certain other ecosystem that fragmentation becomes a problem**

and Carrier Updates dont cause fragmentation.
( carrier build in apps do .. like the UI on android phones.. example of this is the *MOTO BLUR* on Motorola Android phones.. that prevents updates and hence causes fragmentation)

but MS doesn't allow carriers to change the NATIVE codes .. so we wont see fragmentation cause of carriers. ( **** they dont even let NOKIA touch it to specifically prevent it ) thats why NOKIA road map is an APP and is not integrated.

Last edited:

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I think what he meant by fragmentation is regardless if you have a low end smartphone Nokia 710 compared to a high end phone Nokia 800/900 you are still going to have the same user experience.

Just because you bought a 710 doesn't mean your phone will be slower the phone is still going to be just as fast with the same ammount of functionality its not like buying a low-end android and comparing it with a Galaxy Nexus the performance gap is pretty big same thing said for PC's.

In terms of OS Microsoft is taking a different approach when it comes to updates. Its not like iOS where everybody tries to upgrade at the same time and next thing you know the servers go down or Android where as you can see only 0.06% have ICS which is the latest OS.

The updates do take longer I don't like that but at the end of the day I can live another 2 weeks before I recieve it. I really wish Microsoft made it easier to download upgrades but as of right now I don't mind. BUT when Apollo comes out I want that update ASAP

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
MAn what a LONG read!!!!

im glad to see hes positive about the NOKIA WP.. as we should all be! they are selling and will continue to sell for many years ( well maybe not many but at lease 1 or 2 more years )

also like how he talks about apps being a problem ( missing BIG names ) and how he hints to some what being involved.. to me that says he personally pushing DEVELOPER to switch over.. and when a CEO pushes you .. normally things get done :) hehehe ..

what do you mean different OS version? we only have ONE version of WP mango ( unless your still pre-mango for some reason) we have different FIRMWARE versions , but the OS only has one. and firmware doesn't effect the OS directly. ( in term of fragmentation)

Elop adds:

"We don't want that fragmentation introduced into Windows Phone because we are beginning to see how in a certain other ecosystem that fragmentation becomes a problem**

( carrier build in apps do .. like the UI on android phones.. example of this is the *MOTO BLUR* on Motorola Android phones.. that prevents updates and hence causes fragmentation)

but MS doesn't allow carriers to change the NATIVE codes .. so we wont see fragmentation cause of carriers. ( **** they dont even let NOKIA touch it to specifically prevent it ) thats why NOKIA road map is an APP and is not integrated.

Not many? Nokia is going to sell strong for many many years I can already see it. The dedication MS and Nokia is putting in is AAA effort and this is Nokia's last shot I can really see them listening to the customers and carriers to ensure the proper handsets are shipped oout and marketed correctly.

I can't wait for the next device they annouce they all been HITS in my opinion even the Lumia 800 which alot of Americans kind of gave it the "meh" factor in terms of specs but its been getting good reviews and high customer satisifaction. As long as they keep that up marketshare will follow.

I really hope its a battle between Nokia and Apple in the next couple of years but I can see alot of Android fans still going after the Nexus's and the Galaxys in terms of functionality.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The updates do take longer I don't like that but at the end of the day I can live another 2 weeks before I recieve it. I really wish Microsoft made it easier to download upgrades but as of right now I don't mind. BUT when Apollo comes out I want that update ASAP

thats why we have the trick * force* update ;) LOL!! but i rather have to wait then have my phone bug and and all does problems APPLE had!.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
MAn what a LONG read!!!!

Elop adds:

thats why we have the trick * force* update ;) LOL!! but i rather have to wait then have my phone bug and and all does problems APPLE had!.

Does the trick update still work I want the latest Lumia firmware ASAP :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not many? Nokia is going to sell strong for many many years I can already see it. The dedication MS and Nokia is putting in is AAA effort and this is Nokia's last shot I can really see them listening to the customers and carriers to ensure the proper handsets are shipped oout and marketed correctly.

I can't wait for the next device they annouce they all been HITS in my opinion even the Lumia 800 which alot of Americans kind of gave it the "meh" factor in terms of specs but its been getting good reviews and high customer satisifaction. As long as they keep that up marketshare will follow.

I really hope its a battle between Nokia and Apple in the next couple of years but I can see alot of Android fans still going after the Nexus's and the Galaxys in terms of functionality.

i dint mean NOKAI wasn't gona sell for many years.. i mean the 3 phones they have out wont sell for MANY years ( probly for 1 or 2 till the new once come out :p ) Nokia will never die!!! hehehe

for the *FORCE* update .. it should still work!!! but ONLY IF your carrier has released it and your in a waiting queue to get it.

if your carrier has not released a new firmware ... then you simply wont get it. lol

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/180998.htm and all other updates.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

No.

It's the same OS. And carriers have a limited choice on updates. But the policy that they can only skip 1 mandatory update. And then it must be bundled into the next update.

Sure, not everyone gets the update at the same time. But it's not anywhere in a neighborhood of what's happening with Android. With Android, some devices just will not get the newest update. Period. Sometimes, they don't get any.

Also, with Android, the even bigger problem is that there are so many different systems with different screen sizes, processors, etc... that a developer cannot possibly test for every configuration. As a result, apps that work great on some unit may not run at all on others. Or they may crash constantly on one handset, but run fine on another. Or the minimum hardware requirements of the game or app itself may end up excluding half of the Android handsets, without the average user being able to know.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

I believe you may be wrong here. I believe the agreement with Nokia and MS gives them access to the full code.

But Nokia isn't working on it independently from MS, because it's in Nokia's best interest not to fragment the code base. Any changes they make, they are letting MS have to keep the OS consistent.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe you may be wrong here. I believe the agreement with Nokia and MS gives them access to the full code.

But Nokia isn't working on it independently from MS, because it's in Nokia's best interest not to fragment the code base. Any changes they make, they are letting MS have to keep the OS consistent.

I dont remember seeing MS giving full acces to NOKIA? ..

but hey , i might be wrong lol ...

it just doesn't make much sens to give them full access , yet wanting to keep it from becoming a Fraged up OS. ... know what i mean??

its like saying ,** here have some ice cream... but you cant eat it... LOL! ** :( android style...( lol, PUN intended)

maybe they gave them access so they can later integrate stuff like NOKIA exclusive apps in the REST of mobile phones ( VIA a global updates ) .meaning Nokia programers will work side by side with MS for the next update?

i would have to find the exact details of the agreement with MS/NOKIA

EDIT:

ok so they do have FULL access compared to other OEM/RTM but ELOP clearly said that they will not take advantage to prevent fragmentation.

if they did it would help NOKIA but hurt WP OS in general ... and ELOP is aware of this so hes not being greedy..thankfully

one more reason to love the man..

Last edited: