Apollo Rumors and Expectations

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I post on a couple other mobile sites, and I am the self proclaimed Windows Phone cheerleader. I try to stay current on WP news, and try to keep my facts straight to help people who may be interested in WP to understand what to expect from a OS that is still developing.

Lately, I am being peppered with questions about WP8 and what to expect. I know the basics: Microsoft is going to push huge business improvements, it will be more integrated into Windows PCs, the hardware capabilities will be improved (hi resolution screens, dual core processors, ECT.). But I have heard very little in specifics. Some questions I have been asked:

What about legacy support for 1st and 2nd generation devices?

What about landscape screen support? (home screen, XBOX live screen, Office hub, ECT.)

Transferring Bluetooth files?

Better gaming chips for graphics?

Larger memory storage?

Has anyone heard anything on these or other upcoming Apollo improvements? I trust the WP Central community. I want to pass on good info, and not leave people disappointed by what is offered, but I also want to encourage them to give it a chance.

Help??

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
honestly ... so far its all still 100% rumors....noting has been confirmed by MS.

so its hard to tell you exactly whats up...

- more storage is coming for sure...

- Xfer Bluetooth files phone to phone: i can almost guaranty at 100% we will NEVER have this. 50% of carriers doesn't allow it on ANY phone due to copy rights issues.

-landscape i highly doubt it. but you never know.

index1366

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I so hope that 1st gen phones will be supported, because Microsoft I think it wants the multi-dupport for all the phones on market, perhaps also for market share. But the question is, if the new Apollo would need the second generation of processors, you may never know..

The landscape support would be very welcome, but I'm also extremely doubtful about that. We'll see, let us surprise.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What about legacy support for 1st and 2nd generation devices?

I'm just about 100% sure that 1st and 2nd gen devices will still be getting updates and support.

I don't know if the "Apollo" that they will get will be the real same Apollo as WP8. Not because I don't expect them to try to match features. I do expect feature parity. But there are a lot of things that will be in WP8 that won't apply to older devices because of the hardware differences.

What about landscape screen support? (home screen, XBOX live screen, Office hub, ECT.)

No info. Though I don't think it's high on their priority list. It's pretty much just the tile screens that don't support landscape. And those screens aren't exactly reading intensive.

It would be nice. But I'm guessing that there are about a million things listed as more important. But who knows? Windows 8 is landscape.

Transferring Bluetooth files?

Doubt it. Though I do expect NFC support.

Better gaming chips for graphics?

Guaranteed. The chips in these mobile devices are normally "System on a Chip." Newer processors normally also include newer and faster GPUs.

I would expect the GPU will be the Adreno 220. Here's a sample video for the Adreno 220.

By the time WP8 is released, the Adreno 320 might be out. But I doubt it would be in the WP8 spec since MS isn't looking to be the most expensive handset on the market. And with screens this small, it may just be overkill. The Adreno 320 may be something we'll see in tablets.

Larger memory storage?

I would hope so. But I think a lot of that depends on what carriers are telling OEMs they want. Because larger storage devices cost the carriers more to buy from OEMs, before we see phones with larger storage, carriers need to see a lot of the regular ones selling first.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
So far literally nothing has been confirmed. In an interview at CES one of the heads of Windows Phone development, when asked about Apollo said; "I can say it ends in 'o'."

I can appreciate MS is playing their cards close to their chest, but as much as I believe that they are saving the news to announce huge things; I have the tiniest worry that they're not talking because they have nothing major. In all likelyhood though, they're not saying anything so that Google/Apple can't rip them off and produce their own version of the ideas before MS get Apollo out the door.

Anyway, I'm 90% sure first gen devices will get legacy support, especially given how adamant MS have been about trying to prevent fragmentation. I'm 100% confident that 2nd gen devices will be supported.

Beyond that I think you're right in saying they'll expand business support, particularly in adding security features to the OS that will make it more attractive to corporations and government agencies.

Personally, I'd like to see landscape home screen support to bring WP in line with xbox and PC. In my opinion it would really add to the experience, as would swiping up from landscape to see the app list which could be scrolled horizontally. I'm reasonably confident that this will be added at least as an option.

Some kind of notification centre would be a nice addition, it seems to be one thing that a lot of people miss when making the switch to WP. I don't miss it myself, but if MS wants to attract Android/iOS users then they will have to offer a similar function for notifications. I'm confident, given the elegance of the rest of the OS, that MS can come up with an attractive solution for this. At the moment I would be satisfied with Toasts not disappearing until they've been pressed/dismissed.

As Se1fcr3ation said, Bluetooth file transfer isn't going to happen.

As for hardware, it's pretty clear that Apollo will add support for dual-core processors which will enhance the gaming capabilities of the 3rd gen handsets. In line with that I would expect to see a launch line up of handsets with 1.5ghz dual-core chips and probably 1gb of RAM. As well as a new range of XBLA titles.

While 32gb phones will certainly be released I think it's at least 1 year (more likely 2 years) away from becoming the standard phone storage size. Costs are coming down, but flash storage is still far too expensive. I'm not convinced we'll see a screen resolution boost and if we do it'll certainly not be 720p. More likely 1024 x Something.

That's my two cents anyway. Feel free to tear it to shreds gang.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I so hope that 1st gen phones will be supported, because Microsoft I think it wants the multi-dupport for all the phones on market, perhaps also for market share. But the question is, if the new Apollo would need the second generation of processors, you may never know..

The landscape support would be very welcome, but I'm also extremely doubtful about that. We'll see, let us surprise.

What would be the point of tango if apollo required high end hardware? an update to bring windows phone to a lower end hardware specs just to make it moot a few months later? I don't think the first thing MS is going to do is fragment the ecosystem they are building. It would be 10 steps forward 100 back. Windows 8 can run on the 1st gen atom cpu for crying out loud lol.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
ALL first gen phones ++ WILL HAVE Apollo!! 100% guaranty!!

tango will basically bridge the first GEN phones with the Apollo phones.

Balmer , Elop both said they where staying away from Fragmentation.... that's why MS has NOT given Nokia the ability to COOK IN application ( like Nokia road map is an APP and NOT built in)

that would of created the first fragmentation of WP if they had. but hopefully they will cook it into ALL the phones at some point :) After all BING MAPS has adopted NOKIA`s Name :p

at some point in time doh, first gen phones WILL stop getting updates .. but thats easy 2-3 MAJOR updates away ( WP10 , hehe i cant wait for WP10!!)

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
ALL first gen phones ++ WILL HAVE Apollo!! 100% guaranty!!

tango will basically bridge the first GEN phones with the Apollo phones.

Balmer , Elop both said they where staying away from Fragmentation.... that's why MS has NOT given Nokia the ability to COOK IN application ( like Nokia road map is an APP and NOT built in)

that would of created the first fragmentation of WP if they had. but hopefully they will cook it into ALL the phones at some point :) After all BING MAPS has adopted NOKIA`s Name :p

at some point in time doh, first gen phones WILL stop getting updates .. but thats easy 2-3 MAJOR updates away ( WP10 , hehe i cant wait for WP10!!)

Actually Nokia does have the ability to change the OS they are the only ones who can.Nokia Allowed To Modify Windows Phone 7 In Ways Others Can't | TFTS
Nokia allowed to modify Windows Phone while rival OEMs locked out - SlashGear

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site

ok... but they said they wouldn't to prevent fragmentation.... did you only read the title?
hence why Nokia made apps instead of cooking in the features.

** instead, Elop has said that Nokia will prioritize compatibility across the Windows Phone platform rather than differentiation for its own sake. Nokia and Microsoft have positioned the partnership as a co-engineering project to collectively drive Windows Phone forward, introducing new advantages and abilities in the OS that other OEMs will also be able to enjoy.***

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
ok... but they said they wouldn't to prevent fragmentation.... did you only read the title?
hence why Nokia made apps instead of cooking in the features.

** instead, Elop has said that Nokia will prioritize compatibility across the Windows Phone platform rather than differentiation for its own sake. Nokia and Microsoft have positioned the partnership as a co-engineering project to collectively drive Windows Phone forward, introducing new advantages and abilities in the OS that other OEMs will also be able to enjoy.***

You said they "were not allowed to change the os" I was just showing that they indeed are. I think if wp takes off you will see more customization on their part. Right now they are just trying to get back on track(nokia that is)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You said they "were not allowed to change the os" I was just showing that they indeed are. I think if wp takes off you will see more customization on their part. Right now they are just trying to get back on track(nokia that is)

well my bad...

they do , but they most likely wont. ( is what i should of said)

cause if they start to do it .. then we are going to see a fraged up OS :( (android style) maybe not AS bad cause it be restricted to NOKIA.... but it would hurt the others(samsung, HTC ect..)

well i guess will see... but it wont happen before Apollo thats for sure..

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
well my bad...

they do , but they most likely wont. ( is what i should of said)

cause if they start to do it .. then we are going to see a fraged up OS :( (android style) maybe not AS bad cause it be restricted to NOKIA.... but it would hurt the others(samsung, HTC ect..)

well i guess will see... but it wont happen before Apollo thats for sure..

Nokia wont change anything super major at risk of the paradigm. I fully expect to see them bake in their own apps and stuff like that though.

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Windows 8 developer preview on a Samsung tablet and it has a notification system. Basically apps can tell the OS they offer notifications and you can opt in/out on an app by app basis.

I can imagine we'll see the same system in Apollo.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

threedog

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been using the Windows 8 developer preview on a Samsung tablet and it has a notification system. Basically apps can tell the OS they offer notifications and you can opt in/out on an app by app basis.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express
What does the notification center look like? And how do you access it? :)

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The storage problem is up to the companies. Windows Phone does support more than 32GB.

Anyway a phone with 32GB is going to cost 300 dollars so people will complain anyway.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
The storage problem is up to the companies. Windows Phone does support more than 32GB.

Anyway a phone with 32GB is going to cost 300 dollars so people will complain anyway.

You sure? I thought I remember reading people adding 32 GB cards to their Focus for 40 GB total.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

How is it any different than the notification system that has been in WP7 since original release?

What does the notification center look like? And how do you access it? :)

There is no notification center, Microsoft is against that concept. They always refer to it as a "junk drawer." They feel Live Tiles do the job and you should pin the applications that you need that status from.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You sure? I thought I remember reading people adding 32 GB cards to their Focus for 40 GB total.

yes , but they have no restriction on how much they can put in the phone *stock* ... the focus has 8G but it could have been 32G + sd card... is what hes saying.. its up the the OEM to decide whatt hey put int he phone when they build it.

There is no notification center, Microsoft is against that concept. They always refer to it as a "junk drawer." They feel Live Tiles do the job and you should pin the applications that you need that status from.

he was talking about W8 ( pc/tablet) not WP.... but dont be surprise if they add a TOAST section to WP. allot of people are voting for it on the suggestion page...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon