The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
02-18-2012 04:37 AM
90 1234
tools
    Boy, the problem with getting here on page 3 of a thread is that all that needs to be said has been. But I just want to let you all know that most rumors that are not getting the headlines are saying ALL 2nd Gen WP's will get the WP8 upgrade to some degree, and that all apps will be compatable. It is just common sense. Not only is this what Microsoft wants, (uniform upgrades to encourage users to get a WP over other OS's), but how can they get out of the single digit % sales if they don't? And worrying about apps being able to be used on WP8? Geez, the lack of apps is one of the biggest knocks on WP. Does anyone really think Microsoft is going to start all over again???

WP8 is going to be a great thing, not a bad thing. Be excited. Grab your "S", snag your Flash, get pumped for the 900, get your Titan 2 (or the Titan 1 for real cheap once the "2" comes out), or grab those Nokia's on T-Mo or your Radar. All is good.
    JamesDax likes this.
    02-04-2012 10:39 PM
    The hardware specs being described for Apollo handsets are the additional specs that Apollo will SUPPORT NOT WHAT APOLLO REQUIRES. Do any of you people falling for these stupid rumors understand the difference? Just because Apollo will be released on 3rd Gen hardware with HD screens, NFC(some 2nd Gen devices will get this), and multicore CPUs doesn't mean that those things are requried for it to run. All current handsets will run Apollo. There is absolutly no reason why they won't.
    02-04-2012 10:57 PM
    I'm pretty sure current windows phone devices (1st and 2nd) will be upgradeable to apollo.

As someone already said, it doesnt matter what kind of kernel. Theres been a video on youtube showing an HTC HD7 runs android gingerbread - and thats a different OS with different kernel.

While Tango will BRING SUPPORT (not require) for low requirements, and Apollo will BRING SUPPORT for high end specs as Nodo and Mango only run on specific system requirements (mid range).

Besides, remember Windows 8 will run on x86, 64 and ARM? AFAIK Windows phones are equppied with Qualcomm Snapdragon processors which is based on ARM architecture. So whatever it was I read on the reddit website is total crap. Microsoft will find a way to unite their products on any platform.

Also, its good that they've confirmed WP7 apps will work on WP8.
    02-05-2012 01:07 AM
    Now that I think about it, if a device has gone "EOA" then I could see them using that as an excuse to not have it upgrade. How many of the launch devices are still available to actually purchase from a carrier? Two maybe? Anyway I think they could still get Apollo, but if they didn't I wouldn't feel too bad if they were launch devices specifically. At some point the older models will have to be left behind, but hopefully that doesn't happen for a good while yet in order to maintain momentum. Either way I think the Lumia's and the latest batch of 1.4Ghz+ devices are definitely safe.
    02-05-2012 02:51 AM
    What would be useful is a clear statement from Microsoft saying "All current Windows Phones will be upgradeable to Apollo", or "These devices will be upgradeable to Apollo, these will not" or whatever.

Get it out, stop the damaging rumours, job done. Otherwise, this'll rumble on and harm sales. Because if they don't, people will assume the worst precisely because they're not saying anything.
    trickym81 likes this.
    02-05-2012 05:13 AM
    What would be useful is a clear statement from Microsoft saying "All current Windows Phones will be upgradeable to Apollo", or "These devices will be upgradeable to Apollo, these will not" or whatever.

Get it out, stop the damaging rumours, job done. Otherwise, this'll rumble on and harm sales. Because if they don't, people will assume the worst precisely because they're not saying anything.
    Agreed. Even a tweet from Joe or someone to clear this up wouldn't hurt.
    02-05-2012 05:38 AM
    Why should MS comment on stupid rumors? The percentage of potential buyers that would even hear these rumors is so small that it would have no substantial impact on sales. And the percentage of people that would even belive those rumors(though you'd think they'd know better) is even smaller.

Take a moment and think and ask yourself. What's in the Apollo OS that could possibly make in incompatible with 1st and 2nd Gen devices? If you take a deep breath and get rid of the panic I think you'll find there is NOTHING.
    02-05-2012 08:13 AM
    Why should MS comment on stupid rumors? The percentage of potential buyers that would even hear these rumors is so small that it would have no substantial impact on sales. And the percentage of people that would even belive those rumors(though you'd think they'd know better) is even smaller.

Take a moment and think and ask yourself. What's in the Apollo OS that could possibly make in incompatible with 1st and 2nd Gen devices? If you take a deep breath and get rid of the panic I think you'll find there is NOTHING.
    Why should Microsoft comment? Well when their own evangelists like Paul Thurott hem and haw about if they will upgrade or not only adds fuel to the fire.
    02-05-2012 10:56 AM

Why? Because people ask their friends what to buy, and look on forums and the like. Rumours tend to keep spreading unless they get debunked. Latest market share figures show the WP segment shrank AGAIN in December. Do you really think MS can afford a rumour that could poentially lose them more sales?

It's not what I think that matters anyway - I already have a WP phone. It's what potential customers think. Customers who may not know or indeed care what 1st or 2nd gen means in relation to Windows Phone, but know enough to know what "you can't upgrade this phone" means if someone tells them it or they see it on a website.
    02-05-2012 11:05 AM
    When I was an Android user I commonly switched what kernel I was using. I really don't think that the kernel switching is the huge nightmare you are all anticipating. All it means is that current devices will be switched to the new kernel. I could see if first gen devices didn't get the upgrade. They have already received one minor (NoDo) and one major (Mango) update and just might see another minor (Tango) update before Apollo launches. Even Apple only guarantees one update (devices launched with iOS 3 were guaranteed iOS4, iOS 4 devices guaranteed iOS 5). It would be understandable if hardware 2+ years old couldn't run Apollo when it launches. However the more powerful Mango phones should be able to run Apollo.
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-05-2012 11:15 AM
    I give up. Perhaps MS will give some of you people a clue come MWC. If not then we will all know the truth next fall.

smh
    02-05-2012 12:20 PM
    Screen Resolutions are almost ignorable IRT upgrades. iOS 5 went to iPads, i4s, and i3GS all running 3 different screen resolutions.

The hardware in the launch WP7 devices is HD2-level and that is where the biggest issue will lie.

How well do you expect WP8 to run on a circa 2009 Single Core processor with a GPU from the stone age, 512MB RAM (some dedicated to the GPU, so more like 450 or so) and in many cases SD Cards (slow) for the storage device.

Most of them have only 512 MB ROMs in them, as well.

I mean it may very well run on it, but who says it will be the best user experience. Sometimes the upgrade simply isn't an upgrade in these cases.

And this is precicely why using current gen-top of the line hardware is helpful for the consumer.
    02-05-2012 06:15 PM
    Personally I'd rather have the option of having Apollo underperform a little than no option at all. The status quo is already better performing than Android, so having it hitch up a little here or there will just be on par with Android. :)
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-05-2012 06:25 PM
    Screen Resolutions are almost ignorable IRT upgrades. iOS 5 went to iPads, i4s, and i3GS all running 3 different screen resolutions.

The hardware in the launch WP7 devices is HD2-level and that is where the biggest issue will lie.

How well do you expect WP8 to run on a circa 2009 Single Core processor with a GPU from the stone age, 512MB RAM (some dedicated to the GPU, so more like 450 or so) and in many cases SD Cards (slow) for the storage device.

Most of them have only 512 MB ROMs in them, as well.

I mean it may very well run on it, but who says it will be the best user experience. Sometimes the upgrade simply isn't an upgrade in these cases.

And this is precicely why using current gen-top of the line hardware is helpful for the consumer.
    The hardware requirements doesn't have to raise just because you add things. Things like multiple resolutions, multi-cores and additional SD-Cards doesn't need to be turned on on phones who don't support them and hence will not require more power.
    02-06-2012 09:23 AM
    The thread on the other forum is just rumour mongering; Microsoft are known for backward compatibility so there's no reason to stop now. The same chipsets and screen resolutions will be supported along with the apps so the thing that's changing is the kernel.

Also Nokia's big push is in developing markets, if the specifications go through the roof then Nokia (who have a big say in the direction of WP) will be less than happy; so for me everything points to devices being allowed to upgrade.
    02-06-2012 09:41 AM
    I've just started to jump into the Windows Phone world, but it seems crazy to me that 2012 Nokia devices would not be upgradable to Apollo. Considering all the money involved between the two companies, it is in both of their interests to have the software updated.
    02-06-2012 01:00 PM
    yea i feel the same way. I wanted to get the 900 but i will just keep my focus and wait for wp8.
    +1 :P I was thinking bout' upgrading, but what's the point? Everything runs smoothly on my Omnia, no glitches whatsover, got to love the phone <3
    02-07-2012 05:51 AM
    I am all for competition and it is why I bought two titans. We should let MS know that not updating current wp to wp8 is not acceptable behavior.
    02-07-2012 08:00 AM
    I don't mind if first gen phones don't update to Mango but 1.4GhZ 4G phones should get the update. Also here is what T-mobile told me today.

02-07-2012 09:00 AM
    don't worry.."tatlatata" be happy...

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express
    02-07-2012 09:08 AM
    Posted on Twitter today.... (yeah I know he's a bit of a blowhard)

eldarmurtazinEldar Murtazin

Get confirmation from lg/samsung/htc that wp7 phones arent upgradable to apollo aka wp8
    anond likes this.
    02-07-2012 11:04 AM
    He also says:

Htc/samsung/lg arent going to play active role on wp8 phones market - several models only
    What would be considered an active role? Several handsets sounds pretty active to me.

And:

Wp7 wont get MS marketing support after wp8 launch. MS treat it as beta version :-) all money to wp8 promo :-)
    Yes, because it would make a whole lot of sense to keep pushing the old version of the OS that wont be on any new products. I don't see a lot of promotion for Windows Vista or Android Gingerbread, or iOS4 either... funny that.

Considering those two things, and a misspelling of "got" in the tweet you quoted, I can't believe anyone takes this guy seriously.

Put it like this, if you told anyone who bought a Windows Phone between 2011 up until the WP8 launch this year, that their phone would not receive the update to the new version; they would never buy another Windows Phone. Never mind that, I would never buy another OS from them full stop and I sure as **** wouldn't be the only one.

MS knows this. They know what their customers expect. They know what they have to do to be competitive. From what has been said/leaked/rumoured so far about Apollo there is absolutely nothing to suggest that older handsets will not be capable of running it.

I agree with the others who said MS really have to get a statement out on this. It might just be the dumbest rumour they've heard in years. So dumb that they don't even want to dignify it with a response. But dumb as it may be, people are dumb enough to believe it, panic about it and pass it on.
    02-07-2012 11:27 AM
    Can we stop giving Eldar a soap box? He has a beef with Nokia and pushes out false information constantly. Its old already.
    theefman likes this.
    02-07-2012 01:19 PM
    HOLD ON!!!! here it comes

Selfcreation Tweets:

*i just got confirmation from my a** hole that wp7 WILL get the update to WP8!!! rolf*

i must be right if i tweeted it. why else would i tweet... oh to build up my 5 followers to 6.

more rumors! LOL! hes a ANDROID users for god sake... i have more faith in useless uninformed sales rep then this guy...

THE DAY that that MS(or Nokia) officially announces it ok ... Samsung and HTC say it wont? lol what they basing this off? androids experience??
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 02-07-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    theefman likes this.
    02-07-2012 01:26 PM
    I can just say that I am not confident that they will be upgradeable. Look at the HD2 running windows mobile 6.5...never got an upgrade to Phone 7, yet identical to the HD7. The Treo Pro never even got an update to WM6.5 from 6.1. Its in microsofts history of making models obsolete. We are at Phone 7.5, doesnt make me confident it will lead them to Phone 8. History always repeats itself in one way or another.

If it doesn go forward I will admit I am wrong. I am happy with Mango.

I had a Pre and got stuck one never being able to upgrade until I make the force update to WebOS 2.1, so yeah its nothing new to me being left hanging.
    02-07-2012 02:38 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD