Windows Phone 7.5 not to update to WP8?

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Screen Resolutions are almost ignorable IRT upgrades. iOS 5 went to iPads, i4s, and i3GS all running 3 different screen resolutions.

The hardware in the launch WP7 devices is HD2-level and that is where the biggest issue will lie.

How well do you expect WP8 to run on a circa 2009 Single Core processor with a GPU from the stone age, 512MB RAM (some dedicated to the GPU, so more like 450 or so) and in many cases SD Cards (slow) for the storage device.

Most of them have only 512 MB ROMs in them, as well.

I mean it may very well run on it, but who says it will be the best user experience. Sometimes the upgrade simply isn't an upgrade in these cases.

And this is precicely why using current gen-top of the line hardware is helpful for the consumer.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally I'd rather have the option of having Apollo underperform a little than no option at all. The status quo is already better performing than Android, so having it hitch up a little here or there will just be on par with Android. :)

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Screen Resolutions are almost ignorable IRT upgrades. iOS 5 went to iPads, i4s, and i3GS all running 3 different screen resolutions.

The hardware in the launch WP7 devices is HD2-level and that is where the biggest issue will lie.

How well do you expect WP8 to run on a circa 2009 Single Core processor with a GPU from the stone age, 512MB RAM (some dedicated to the GPU, so more like 450 or so) and in many cases SD Cards (slow) for the storage device.

Most of them have only 512 MB ROMs in them, as well.

I mean it may very well run on it, but who says it will be the best user experience. Sometimes the upgrade simply isn't an upgrade in these cases.

And this is precicely why using current gen-top of the line hardware is helpful for the consumer.

The hardware requirements doesn't have to raise just because you add things. Things like multiple resolutions, multi-cores and additional SD-Cards doesn't need to be turned on on phones who don't support them and hence will not require more power.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
The thread on the other forum is just rumour mongering; Microsoft are known for backward compatibility so there's no reason to stop now. The same chipsets and screen resolutions will be supported along with the apps so the thing that's changing is the kernel.

Also Nokia's big push is in developing markets, if the specifications go through the roof then Nokia (who have a big say in the direction of WP) will be less than happy; so for me everything points to devices being allowed to upgrade.

grossitch

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I've just started to jump into the Windows Phone world, but it seems crazy to me that 2012 Nokia devices would not be upgradable to Apollo. Considering all the money involved between the two companies, it is in both of their interests to have the software updated.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Let MS know

I am all for competition and it is why I bought two titans. We should let MS know that not updating current wp to wp8 is not acceptable behavior.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind if first gen phones don't update to Mango but 1.4GhZ 4G phones should get the update. Also here is what T-mobile told me today.

updater.png

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Posted on Twitter today.... (yeah I know he's a bit of a blowhard)

He also says:

Htc/samsung/lg arent going to play active role on wp8 phones market - several models only

What would be considered an active role? Several handsets sounds pretty active to me.

And:

Wp7 wont get MS marketing support after wp8 launch. MS treat it as beta version :) all money to wp8 promo :)

Yes, because it would make a whole lot of sense to keep pushing the old version of the OS that wont be on any new products. I don't see a lot of promotion for Windows Vista or Android Gingerbread, or iOS4 either... funny that.

Considering those two things, and a misspelling of "got" in the tweet you quoted, I can't believe anyone takes this guy seriously.

Put it like this, if you told anyone who bought a Windows Phone between 2011 up until the WP8 launch this year, that their phone would not receive the update to the new version; they would never buy another Windows Phone. Never mind that, I would never buy another OS from them full stop and I sure as **** wouldn't be the only one.

MS knows this. They know what their customers expect. They know what they have to do to be competitive. From what has been said/leaked/rumoured so far about Apollo there is absolutely nothing to suggest that older handsets will not be capable of running it.

I agree with the others who said MS really have to get a statement out on this. It might just be the dumbest rumour they've heard in years. So dumb that they don't even want to dignify it with a response. But dumb as it may be, people are dumb enough to believe it, panic about it and pass it on.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Can we stop giving Eldar a soap box? He has a beef with Nokia and pushes out false information constantly. Its old already.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Posted on Twitter today.... (yeah I know he's a bit of a blowhard)

HOLD ON!!!! here it comes

Selfcreation Tweets:

*i just got confirmation from my a** hole that wp7 WILL get the update to WP8!!! rolf*

i must be right if i tweeted it. why else would i tweet... oh to build up my 5 followers to 6.

more rumors! LOL! hes a ANDROID users for god sake... i have more faith in useless uninformed sales rep then this guy...

THE DAY that that MS(or Nokia) officially announces it ok ... Samsung and HTC say it wont? lol what they basing this off? androids experience??

Last edited:

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I can just say that I am not confident that they will be upgradeable. Look at the HD2 running windows mobile 6.5...never got an upgrade to Phone 7, yet identical to the HD7. The Treo Pro never even got an update to WM6.5 from 6.1. Its in microsofts history of making models obsolete. We are at Phone 7.5, doesnt make me confident it will lead them to Phone 8. History always repeats itself in one way or another.

If it doesn go forward I will admit I am wrong. I am happy with Mango.

I had a Pre and got stuck one never being able to upgrade until I make the force update to WebOS 2.1, so yeah its nothing new to me being left hanging.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I can just say that I am not confident that they will be upgradeable. Look at the HD2 running windows mobile 6.5...never got an upgrade to Phone 7, yet identical to the HD7.

The HD2 did not meet the hardware requirements of WP7 (not the same buttons), so they couldn't have updated it if they wanted to.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned a scenario a few months ago where WP7 might not be upgradable to WP8.

I wasn't even sure if Apollo and WP8 were the same thing.

My thought is that there will not be a kernel change in WP7. So WP7 and WP8 will essentially be two different OSes under the hood. But will generally look and act the same.

I threw out the idea that perhaps WP7 would get an update (perhaps Apollo) that would mirror much of the functionality that appears in WP8, but without all the stuff that is dependent on the XP kernel.

So for all intents and purposes, your WP7 would be updated to all the compatible features of WP8. But technically, it wouldn't be WP8.

But maybe things will be cleared up at MWC.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So for all intents and purposes, your WP7 would be updated to all the compatible features of WP8. But technically, it wouldn't be WP8.

Now THAT is one of the most logical thoughts on this I've come across.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a thought the other day - I wonder if we haven't been staring at the answer all along. You know where MS said Tango was the update to accomodate low-end phones and Apollo was for high-end devices?

What if Tango is for all current models (which they will reclassify as "low end") and Apollo is for all new models (which they will classify as "high end")? That would mean we've technically been told the truth all along that ALL current phones will get an upgrade, but also that current handsets won't be getting the full monty.

Even the naming would make sense. Tango just follows from Mango. Apollo 8 (the space program) was the first craft ever to leave Earth orbit and go to the Moon, so Apollo as the codename for Windows Phone 8 would take the platform above and beyond where it has been before. But perhaps requiring new hardware to get there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes