AT&T owners, how do you manage your data?

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, Time Warner. 20Mbps/2Mbps for $50. My friend somehow got a special deal for 30/5 for the same price. They wouldn't give it to me though. :(

What are your speeds?

Well currently in the throttled state because of passing my 200 GB cap. However, I've gotten anywhere from 17 to 25 Mbps d/l and anywhere from 5 to 9 Mbps u/l. But on the web site my internet package is listed as 18/4 Mbps u/l and d/l.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Well currently in the throttled state because of passing my 200 GB cap. However, I've gotten anywhere from 17 to 25 Mbps d/l and anywhere from 5 to 9 Mbps u/l. But on the web site my internet package is listed as 18/4 Mbps u/l and d/l.

Oh wow, that's pretty good. I could use the extra upload speeds.

Inka

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have a rough idea of what your data usage will consist of on a monthly basis then check out the data calculator on the at&t website. I'm sure these are just estimates as it's not possible to accurately calculate usage on the mobile network.

I've never used it but I stumbled upon it last week while perusing the site so I hiope this helps a bit!

AT&T Data Calculator

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It says here almost 3GB of data which what I'm currently using. I also put some video streaming and stuff. 30 minutes of music a day and 140 minutes of video a month.

I don't use neither but I wanted to be sure.

Last edited:

kenosando#AC

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The only times I have ever cracked 1 GB is when I use my tethering feature on my Nokia N8 for road trips. I watch full movies on Netflix, iHeartRadio, and share it with my little brother's iPod. Otherwise, I hover around 200-300 MB. I mostly do Twitter on my phone, so what little data that takes up, as well as some internet radio when I am in my truck. I am grandfathered into the unlimited data package at $30/month from AT&T, and with the latest changes, I think I may stay here, unless I get the "official" tethering package, which includes 5 GB data.

Dr Widdleguy

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I barely break 800mb's a month. I use to use the AT&T data texts just to get a rough idea on how much I've used so far, but anymore I just don't worry since I still have the old unlimited plan for $30.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
WiFi at home, WiFi at my apartment, WiFi on campus. I have never gone over 500 MB.

Granted, I check my data by dialing *3282#
That's where I was going. I have WIFI at home too, but for some stupid reason I have this paranoia about going over on my data. (and of long dark hallways. But that is a different story for a different posting.). I also dial *3282# often to be sure. I have come close. But so far,have not gone over.

beigsti

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
My friend has an ATT 4G phone and hates it. Very slow. My Samsung S 4G beats his hands down any I pay much less per month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral.

Do you know exactly which phone does he have? I'm guessing the Samsung S is the Focus S, so it should be running on the same data speeds.

Also I went to AT&T and the girl that attended was very informative and answered all my questions, she didn't knew about the Lumia 900 but It not like she has not know about an unreleased phone. Sadly AT&T doesn't have any wifi hotspots in Puerto Rico... This is bad news for me.

Inka

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
But they have LTE though so that's a plus, no?!

Does your cable provider offer free WiFi in multiple areas?

Also I went to AT&T and the girl that attended was very informative and answered all my questions, she didn't knew about the Lumia 900 but It not like she has not know about an unreleased phone. Sadly AT&T doesn't have any wifi hotspots in Puerto Rico... This is bad news for me.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....Sadly AT&T doesn't have any wifi hotspots in Puerto Rico... This is bad news for me.

Don't you work in a mall? Does the mall have WiFi? Have you tried WiFi scanning when you are at work to see if anyone in the mall if offering free WiFi? Like McDonalds, a donut shop? ...etc...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well they do announce LTE a lot. It will be a shame if they didn't really have it, I do work at mall but pretty far away from the food court.

Is a shame because I work near an AT&T and having a Wifi hot spot there and wifi at home it will make my life very easy. Even worse is that my work does have Wifi but they don't share it >=(.

Edit: Sprint didn't even had regular 4G until last year, and they had the balls to announce the Evo 4G as fast device.

Last edited:

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I set up contact called "data use", labeled it a mobile number, and just use the text number which is *3282#. That is about the fastest way I can think of to get up to usage info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon