Connect to WiFi requires restart?

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone seen this behavior --

1. Connect to a WiFi network.
2. Leave the area (for example leave home to go to work).
3. No auto-connection to the new network. No success manually connecting to new network.
4. Restart phone, new network automatically picked up.

This might be specific to my Lumia 710 but I thought I'd post here first in case other folks had seen the issue and it was a WP thing with a WP solution.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed this on my Lumia 800 too. Sometimes it just won't connect to my WIFI home network all of a sudden. The solution for me is not to reboot the phone (although it helps I think), but to reset the router which goes faster for me.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
never experienced that on my htc trophy, it will auto connect if i leave and come back... so it must be related to nokia phones. in which case an update should fix, hopefully sooner than later.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Mo similar issue with my focus rev 1.3 go from my home to the office of my parents house several hours awau automatically pocks wifi either on network I have been on before or where noi password is needed.

debeerisgreat

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Wifi needs reboot too

I've got same problem on my Samsung Omnia 7 - it's so frustrating!!!

I use an app called ActiveNet Now! to quickly check if my wifi is working. Unfortunaty only way I know to fix it is to reboot my phone. Definately related to going between home/work - both having secured wifi networks.

ARRGGGHH!!:mad:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Home and office WiFi networks are both secure, and have never had a problem auto connecting to either. Remember that WP has a problem with the higher channels (11-13 I think), so if a router is set to auto-channel, that may be a problem for some. Just a guess.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I hope not (and hope that it's a phone software issue with a software answer). Happens at the office also. Leave office and come back (without going home). No re-auto-connect to WIFI.

I have this happen with my Titan but I don't think it's my phone. I just need to replace my router.

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
As a follow-up, it seems like it *is* an issue for people across platforms. Aside from this forum where's a good place to bring it up? Is there Microsoft WP technical support?

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't have this problem at all with my Lumia 710 or my husbands HD7. The WiFi router is Apple Airport Extreme Dual 2.4/5ghz with Auto WPA/WPA2. My SSID is not hidden.

I think it would be a good idea for those with problems to state the manufacture of the router and settings (such as WEP, WPA etc..)

myanimator

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had this issue frequently with my Titan, but never at my work's wifi. Someone suggested in a related post that if your router's wifi channel changes that Windows phones have a hard time updating to the new channel.

At home, my router's channel was set to "auto". I set it to always be channel 11 now and that seems to have solved my problem as I've had no problem connecting to my home wifi.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have had issues with WiFi connectivity, but it just turned out to be my crappy router. After replacing it, my Quantum and Focus S connect automatically fine, even after being connected elsewhere.

I use a low-end router, branded by my ISP. I'm not sure of the model. (Maybe I'll check when I get home.) My SSID is not hidden.

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Cool, will give the channel idea a go.

As an aside and more info: my old BlackBerry 8900 had no problem auto-finding and auto-switching between these same two networks. Not sure what the difference is between the two technologies and how they attempt to switch between wifi networks but it might be a clue.

USP45

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I'd update this thread with my OS and Firmware.
OS Version: 7.10.7740.16
Firmware: 1600.3007.7740.11465

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
A similar thing happens with my Titan, but it's not wifi that fails to connect; it's my 3G/4G data that fails to re-connect and requires a restart often.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
never had this problem happen to me , i get home = connects , my buddy turns it on his Iphone at work and I connect automatically

I have a hard time believing im the only one never having problems with my FOCUS rev 1,4 .. NEVER! lol maybe im just lucky?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon