Not so well known WP7 functionality

artzznyzz

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Diagnostics App (call "##634#" from phone screen enables all manner of good tools) - Excellent for quick check before accepting a new phone in store.

One ongoing usefull tool is Battery Status: This allows some evaluation of the quality of a particular charger or cable (or single unit charger/cable). Also, note different results when testing a USB micro cable from one or another charger, vs. USB port on your computer. Hmm, how about comparing various USB ports on one, or a couple of computers, eg desktop vs notebook . . .

zabihlumia

May 15, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know how to turn of heptic feedback or vibration in the three touch keys? How do U take screenshots? I was Android User converted by Lumia 900 because I used to be Windows mobile user

jege41

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Car audio BT reads text messages

Hello
My car audio system reads my text messages while I'm connected via BT, and gives me the option to call the person back with voice command or reply with a text using VR.
It works very well and am very impressed with this function.

If anybody has other tips, please share it with me and I will update the OP.

Last edited:

portwoodamber420

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
signature_Amz.jpg

So I posted #1 on another thread and was surprised at how unknown it seemed to be so ill post that along with a couple other tips here.

Highlighting text in internet explorer and hitting the search button will search Bing with your highlighted text.

While listening to any kind of music, changing the volume brings up the expanded volume bar with the currently playing audio. Tap the title and it will take you into whatever app is playing the music.

Pressing the back button gets rid of the volume bar quickly.

There is an app called Stop The Music! That will remove any music that may be listed on he volume bar so that it goes back to its small size.

So there are mine. Anybody got any to add?

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
You can affect the automatic screen brightness. Depending on if you have brightness set to low, medium or high when you turn on auto it will behave differently.

If you have brightness on high and then turn on auto brightness the screen will keep itself much brighter.

If you have brightness on low and then turn on auto brightness the screen will keep itself on very low brightness at most times.

May very well be that you are setting the "roof" for the brightness and not the sensitivity. But you sure can affect it. So even if you are using auto brightness it will matter if the manual setting is on low/medium/high when you turn on auto.

soulzero

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is a little one I found by accident...
When you are typing and you need to move the curser. Just Tap+Hold the TextBox area and the text cursor will pop up (It'll show up as your theme color) and you will be able to Move and place the curser anywhere you need it in the text box. This works in Messaging, Email, or even typing web addresses into IE. It works anywhere there is a textbox.

rnpereira

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Holding the search key while on the lock screen will jump straight to bing without having to unlock.

this does not work.
I still have to put my password to unlock the phone. It doesn't work the same way the camera button does.
It also doesn't work if you have your screen turned off. Camera does work.

By the way, this is on lumia 710

Last edited:

alanjafid

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I've got one on the keyboard, but i'm not sure if its not so well (it was for me)

If you doble tap the shift button, enables caps lock until you single tap shift button again.

hope it helps.:lol:

Pao Aldecoa

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
If you get a notification at the top of the screen and you want to get rid of it without opening it, just flick it to the side and it will vanish!

danmorrissey

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Does ANYONE know how to rotate pictures in your gallery? Everytime I use an app to filter my photos, they are turned sideways and I don't know how to rotate them
I've actually been in touch with MS about this because I noticed that photos weren't transferring to apps in the right orientation (take a landscape photo > options > applications > Thumba Photo Editor (for example) would open the photo in the editor rotated).

The same thing was happening when sharing it in (say) Carbon... They had me make videos of the process and narrowed it down to bad code in individual apps (because it doesn't happen across EVERY app). It's down to app devs to fix this one, apparently.

HKAce

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
not sure if these have been added so here they are:
- hit the search button and hit the eye symbol to scan qr codes and translate text (no need for any apps)

- while viewing pictures zoom out all the way to view your pictures in film strip view

srry if these have been mentioned

Saroj

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi about this "You can have Internet access on your phone when you are connected to Zune via USB. One simple way to limit your data charges."
can you plz elaborate as to how to do this. should the phone be with wifi enabled for this to work ? or should we have to enable data but it will automatically use PC internet connection ?

jaded skies

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi about this "You can have Internet access on your phone when you are connected to Zune via USB. One simple way to limit your data charges."
can you plz elaborate as to how to do this. should the phone be with wifi enabled for this to work ? or should we have to enable data but it will automatically use PC internet connection ?

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
You can affect the automatic screen brightness. Depending on if you have brightness set to low, medium or high when you turn on auto it will behave differently.

If you have brightness on high and then turn on auto brightness the screen will keep itself much brighter.

If you have brightness on low and then turn on auto brightness the screen will keep itself on very low brightness at most times.

May very well be that you are setting the "roof" for the brightness and not the sensitivity. But you sure can affect it. So even if you are using auto brightness it will matter if the manual setting is on low/medium/high when you turn on auto.

Wow, that's pretty cool. Never knew about this one. I'll give a try thanks

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I just discovered this function on my 710, and I don't see it on the first post, so I may have missed it: If you get an incoming call when your phone's lying on it's back with the screen up, flip it phone over with the screen down and that call continues to ring, but is in silent mode. If you leave your phone with the screen down, the ringer will ring again at the next incoming call.

I just think it's a fun, random feature instead of hitting ignore or the ringer button. But then again, this could be a feature everyone knows about except me. :wink:

Kiraly Attila

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is a little one I found by accident...
When you are typing and you need to move the curser. Just Tap+Hold the TextBox area and the text cursor will pop up (It'll show up as your theme color) and you will be able to Move and place the curser anywhere you need it in the text box. This works in Messaging, Email, or even typing web addresses into IE. It works anywhere there is a textbox.
Thx for this great tip .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon