You guys are looking at OS updates/upgrades all wrong

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
plus, all everyone is asking right now, is just to provide information about the issue, so we 'consumers' can take our own decisions.

That's not what everyone is doing right now. What everyone is doing is getting worked up over rumors that said that you would get upgraded and then got debunked by other rumors that said you wouldn't. And then turn around and blame someone else who had nothing to do with the rumor.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
That's not what everyone is doing right now. What everyone is doing is getting worked up over rumors that said that you would get upgraded and then got debunked by other rumors that said you wouldn't. And then turn around and blame someone else who had nothing to do with the rumor.
everyone is doing that because we are not getting any answer from MS. the whole issue is created because of lack of official info.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The irony is that people threaten to jump to Android or iOS if their current phone doesn't get 8...but how many Android users are jumping when 94% of eligible users don't yet have 4.0? How many jump platforms when the newest iOS update slows their device to a crawl?

It's all bluster and "oooo I'm gonna show them if I don't get this update..." and grass-is-greener syndrome.

Heck, brand new Androids that are running 2.3 are slated to get 4.0 "soon" or "some time"--there's never a guarantee.

So look at from that standpoint. We're not alone. Jump to a GNex and see if Samsung rolls out 4.0 once the GSIII arrives ;) Roll with a 900/T II for a few months and accept it might not get a full-blown version of 8, or save your upgrade.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
everyone is doing that because we are not getting any answer from MS. the whole issue is created because of lack of official info.

You guys act like this isn't normal practice in the industry. I'm sure everyone knows they have reasons to not announce upcoming features of upcoming products.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
You guys act like this isn't normal practice in the industry. I'm sure everyone knows they have reasons to not announce upcoming features of upcoming products.
Agreed.

What effect would saying that "current devices will get 8" have on phone sales today--considering we know (well, it's got to be true) that WP8 handsets will have dual cores and HD screens and all that? What says there won't be a Lumia 910 or a Pureview? People would be pissed they can't get one on contract since they "wasted" the upgrade on the 900! :lol:

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's my reasoning on this. If MS could say that current generation WP phones will get Apollo, they would have good reason to do so. It would be good for sales, and thus it would help the OS to build momentum.

If they can't give this assurance, there are two possible reasons why. First, they may not know. Maybe WP8 just isn't in a finished enough state to be able to say. Second, they may know that the answer is negative, but announcing it would create the "lame duck" OS situation that RIM has right now with BBOS 7. This is bad for sales, so they have good reason not to do it.

Personally, my guess is that they know that current devices won't get WP8. I don't believe the OS is so far from ready that they can't say what hardware will be needed. In fact, even though I'm no software engineer, I'd go farther and say that WP8 was probably designed from the start to a particular hardware configuration. I can't really imagine why anyone would design an OS with the idea to see what it'll run on when it's done!

To me, this is the best explanation of why MS has persistently dodged this question. They know the answer is bad for business.

To all those who think MS "owes" them an update, there's simply no basis for such a belief. Nothing has been promised or even hinted, beyond backward compatibility for apps. The "understanding" that some people have about this is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Keeping early adopters happy is a very low priority in comparison to gaining new adopters. Suppose WP8 is terrific but can't run on current devices. If for every disgruntled person who leaves the platform they bring in two or three new adopters who weren't, that would be a great success.

Yes, we'd all love to get WP8 without buying new hardware. There's no doubt about that, but if WP8 needs better or different hardware to compete with the other players, then that's how it has to be.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
we were led in to believing that WP& was different from android when it comes to OS updates, that's the reason for all the uproar.

and we are all talking about current devices.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Agreed.

What effect would saying that "current devices will get 8" have on phone sales today--considering we know (well, it's got to be true) that WP8 handsets will have dual cores and HD screens and all that? What says there won't be a Lumia 910 or a Pureview? People would be pissed they can't get one on contract since they "wasted" the upgrade on the 900! :lol:
Please stop, you are not making any sense there...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I got my LG Optimus 7 because of Mango. (I got my phone pre-nodo when we didn't even had copy paste.)

That year I got my Nodo and Mango update and I'm happy with it (besides the huge drop in battery life).

Now imagine if I had gotten my Optimus 7 and someone told me that I wouldn't get Mango? I would have throw that phone upon the nearest wall and would had being complaining to my carrier until they gave me a new phone.

If you bought a Titan 2 and didn't get Apollo, you just wasted your money.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I think most guys don't realise that the more MS keeps shut the better the chances of Windows Phone surviving! With freaking SGSIII round the corner (May 3rd) and then iPhone-5 due in June, all MSFT has to do is, survive till they are announced.

Those who have been following Windows Phone 7.0 to Nodo to Mango would know how announcing the features for Mango was a kill joy and so was the developer version. Apple somehow magically happened to have to features within their list of "200 new" features in less than 2 weeks' time after MSFT's beta release!

That made Mango look like yet another catch up version!

The more MSFT keep quiet on this Apollo, the better it gets. iPhone-5 in June and then MSFT has nearly 4-5 months to catch up if need be, and add more, remove less before they can match up the iPhone-5 to an extent!

This doesn't mean Windows Phone will stop playing the catch up game because Android 5.0 is meant to go beta or more by end of this year. Thus more will be copied of MSFT Apollo to be added to Android. However, if MSFT talks about everything it wants to do now, there won't be the hype of Apollo and those who have been with Windows Phone since day 1, would know the pain of catch up game.

All phones will get an update, if nothing a strip down version will be surely there. But those saying "MSFT is quiet, so it won't be released" is bull****!
I say "MSFT is quiet, so it might be released to even the Gen1 devices. They want to keep it a surprise" - that my friend is optimism. :happy:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
we were led in to believing that WP& was different from android when it comes to OS updates, that's the reason for all the uproar.

and we are all talking about current devices.

Right. And they are different. MS has supported all devices the last two years as opposed to Android where most devices can't get an update after 3 months. There has to be a cut off period, and currently that cutoff could possibly be now.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Those who have been following Windows Phone 7.0 to Nodo to Mango would know how announcing the features for Mango was a kill joy and so was the developer version. Apple somehow magically happened to have to features within their list of "200 new" features in less than 2 weeks' time after MSFT's beta release!

Yes ^

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Right. And they are different. MS has supported all devices the last two years as opposed to Android where most devices can't get an update after 3 months. There has to be a cut off period, and currently that cutoff could possibly be now.
so now, the question is what about supporting lumia 900/ titan II

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think most guys don't realise that the more MS keeps shut the better the chances of Windows Phone surviving! With freaking SGSIII round the corner (May 3rd) and then iPhone-5 due in June, all MSFT has to do is, survive till they are announced.

The more MSFT keep quiet on this Apollo, the better it gets. iPhone-5 in June and then MSFT has nearly 4-5 months to catch up if need be, and add more, remove less before they can match up the iPhone-5 to an extent!

This doesn't mean Windows Phone will stop playing the catch up game because Android 5.0 is meant to go beta or more by end of this year. Thus more will be copied of MSFT Apollo to be added to Android. However, if MSFT talks about everything it wants to do now, there won't be the hype of Apollo and those who have been with Windows Phone since day 1, would know the pain of catch up game.

All phones will get an update, if nothing a strip down version will be surely there. But those saying "MSFT is quiet, so it won't be released" is bull****!
I say "MSFT is quiet, so it might be released to even the Gen1 devices. They want to keep it a surprise" - that my friend is optimism. :happy:
when we ask if the lumia 900/titan II will get apollo or not, we are not asking MS to let us know about all the features that apollo would have ?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
when we ask if the lumia 900/titan II will get apollo or not, we are not asking MS to let us know about all the features that apollo would have ?

Considering the fact that Lumia 900 and Titan 2 have limited screen res, single-core processors and camera restrictions, if MSFT says "Yes! Yes! Yes!" - it automatically takes away all the hype that might potential build up closer to Apollo. Ask me why?

Because then we all know that whatever Apollo is doesn't need those expensive brandspankingly new phones with huge hardwares or dual cores. Apollo will run anyway on the current hardware. That means Apollo won't be extra-ordinary, a bit here, a bit there of feature. - will that make me want to wait for Apollo? No!
Will I ask my friend who doesn't like Lumia 900 or Titan II to wait out till Apollo to grab a nicer dual core phone? No!
I will ask him to get HTC One X instead, as it's got same spec as Apollo handsets but a "ready-OS"

What does MSFT win then? Nothing.
MSFT loses the excitement from the current users.
MSFT loses the excitement and hype that builds around potential new users!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If Lumia 900 and Titan 2 don't have Apollo, then what was the point of having a 1.4/1.5ghz processor instead of a 1ghz? Surely it wasn't just for the 4G.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
so now, the question is what about supporting lumia 900/ titan II

There has to be a cut off period, and currently that cutoff could possibly be now.
You have to follow the cycle of the software, which started in 2010, and not follow your current device. People say it should be a 3 year cycle. I guarantee you, when that 3 year comes to an end, people will still be yelling at MS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
If Lumia 900 and Titan 2 don't have Apollo, then what was the point of having a 1.4/1.5ghz processor instead of a 1ghz? Surely it wasn't just for the 4G.

4G surely was one of the main reasons for those phones! LTE wasn't planned for the release before Apollo in the original road map anyway. The only reason LTE was pushed was because of AT&T!!

The fact that they have bigger processors than the other Mango devices like Lumia 800, 710 and Titan might be a hint that if at all the WP8 OS because resource hungry, they added that extra bit on top! i.e. better chances of running WP8 with Windows 8 kernel (if need be)

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You have to follow the cycle of the software, which started in 2010, and not follow your current device. People say it should be a 3 year cycle. I guarantee you, when that 3 year comes to an end, people will still be yelling at MS.
then they should not release new devices like the lumia 900/ titan II at this stage of the software cycle ,

everyone's yelling at MS because they boasted the WP7 is different from android when it comes to updates.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
then they should not release new devices like the lumia 900/ titan II at this stage of the software cycle ,

everyone's yelling at MS because they boasted the WP7 is different from android when it comes to updates.

Or you could simply not buy the new releases at this stage, because some of us are already out of contract and itching for a new Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon