You guys are looking at OS updates/upgrades all wrong

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Or you could simply not buy the new releases at this stage, because some of us are already out of contract and itching for a new Windows Phone.
oh, i'll definitely return my lumia 900, if i don't get an answer soon or if i get a negative answer.

but, it still does not change the fact that MS is wrong for not answering the question, and to not update the newer devices with wp8 if that's what they have decided.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
then they should not release new devices like the lumia 900/ titan II at this stage of the software cycle ,

everyone's yelling at MS because they boasted the WP7 is different from android when it comes to updates.

How is WP7 not different from Android in the upgrades?

I've used 3 Android phones (including HTC Sensation XL). All the phones when I bought were in mid of the OS-cycles and were upgrade-ready for the next version.

Guess what?

None of those, not even HTC Sensation XL which was meant to upgrade in December 2011, ever got an upgrade! - Do I see anyone yelling at Google? Nope.

With Android you have to buy a new phone to get a new OS. With Windows Phone, you won't have to buy a new phone to get the next OS. Even if "Apollo" doesn't hit Lumia 900 or HTC Titan II, it's features will. To run 'real Apollo' you MUST have the Apollo device for the obvious reasons. OS features will come to these handsets, no matter what the 'sources' say. Things like folders, background tasks, UI updates, themes etc - without fail are making it to all the phones. That won't happen with Android ever.

drankurn

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
'Do I see anyone yelling at Google? Nope.'

because google never said that all devices will get updates.

'With Android you have to buy a new phone to get a new OS. With Windows Phone, you won't have to buy a new phone to get the next OS. Even if "Apollo" doesn't hit Lumia 900 or HTC Titan II, it's features will. To run 'real Apollo' you MUST have the Apollo device for the obvious reasons. OS features will come to these handsets, no matter what the 'sources' say. Things like folders, background tasks, UI updates, themes etc - without fail are making it to all the phones. That won't happen with Android ever. '

do you really have some inside knowledge about this.....

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
then they should not release new devices like the lumia 900/ titan II at this stage of the software cycle ,

everyone's yelling at MS because they boasted the WP7 is different from android when it comes to updates.
WP is different than Android. Just because Microsoft doesn't say in April "hey everyone, you'll be getting the new OS update on November 1st, even though it hasn't been officially announced yet" does not mean we won't be getting it.

When an Android phone is released mid-cycle (SII HD LTE, for example), they are touted as "upgradeable to ________" without any timeline at all. Plus, you say it best in the next post:

because google never said that all devices will get updates.
...yet, people still buy them anyway.

You want a guarantee from Microsoft but Google gets a pass. Mmmm, irony.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
because google never said that all devices will get updates....

And when did MS say that all devices will get updates? They never said that all devices will get updates from now till infinity. When it came time, they confirmed that all devices will update to NoDo and Mango. I don't recall MS confirming it for Apollo... yet.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You guys act like this isn't normal practice in the industry. I'm sure everyone knows they have reasons to not announce upcoming features of upcoming products.

Oh yeah? Well I'm returning my Lumia 900 if I don't get a written guarantee from Microsoft that it will run Windows Phone 10 hand delivered by courier by tomorrow.

I'll show them!

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
ITT: A lot of really retarded fanboys..

"Who cares if my brand new lumia 900 doesn't get the update, I'll just buy the lumia 1000 in a couple months"

really?? REALLLY??

If you guys seriously don't think this is an issue, then I feel sorry for you. You are the definition of a capitalist consumer sheep.

P.S- android updates might be delayed occasionally, but all my android phones have gotten 2-3 os updates. Plus their are custom roms galore, so who cares lol

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

"Who cares if my brand new lumia 900 doesn't get the update, I'll just buy the lumia 1000 in a couple months"

really?? REALLLY??

If you guys seriously don't think this is an issue, then I feel sorry for you. You are the definition of a capitalist consumer sheep.

P.S- android updates might be delayed occasionally, but all my android phones have gotten 2-3 os updates. Plus their are custom roms galore, so who cares lol

Really? REALLY? All your Androids have gotten 2-3 updates? I have news for you... all my WP devices have gotten more than 3 updates.

Many people moved from Android, because they don't want to deal with custom roms galore. So yes, who cares?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
@socialcarpet

I think you are missing the point. I might be a bit more accepting of the original Gen 1 devices not getting the update. (I wouldn't be ok with that, but more on that in a sec). But we're talking about the Titan II, the Lumia 900. Phones that will be about 6 months old. And, since the hardware on those isn't significantly different that the Gen 1 devices, if they can get those to update... all should be eligible for update. But we aren't getting even reassurances that my brand new 900 will be updateable. And that's a problem.

I expect to get updates for the life of a commercially reasonable contract. And in Canada that's 3 years. I expect all updates to be available in some form for 3 years.

Apple has done it.
Android has done it (for some devices, at least)

MS better get this right or they're going to have some serious issues with early adopters. Or people like me- frequent adopters. I have a Focus, 2 Titans, a 900. They better all get updated.

Just for the record, none of Apple or Android's updates involved moving to a completely different OS kernel. I'm pretty sure all those updates that some iPhones got and a smattering of Androids got were more evolution than revolution.

I have a Lumia 900, so I'd love to see it get a future OS update.

I bought the Lumia because of what it is now, not so I could freak out about an OS that probably won't actually ship until a year from now. I have no idea what features WP8 will have for sure, neither do you, so it's a little stupid to imagine my phone will suck without them when I love my phone the way it is now.

I have faith that Microsoft and Nokia aren't stupid and they are ignorant to the fact that people like me who bought Lumia's or other Windows Phones recently could be miffed if a crazy awesome amazing new phone OS that was going to change our lives were introduced 6-8 months later and we couldn't have it.

Give them a little credit. If they can do it, believe that they will. If it's not practical, they won't. End of story.

It's positively asinine for people to be getting their fruit of the looms in a twist when Microsoft has barely even acknowledged that Apollo exists and Tango hasn't even shipped yet.

YOU'RE ALL TWO OS UPDATES AHEAD OF YOURSELF.

CALM DOWN.

So sick of reading these threads and getting sucked back into the same dumb conversation about nothing when none of us have any relevant information.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

really?? REALLLY??

Then buy another Android.

No one's saying they don't care. Some of us are just smart enough not to freak the f*ck out about stupid inconsequential bullish*t like this when there is no solid information yet.

Here's an idea. How about we all patiently wait like grown ups and see what happens instead of freaking out like 5 year olds throwing temper tantrums every day when a rumor site spews some nonsense from an "unnamed source"?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Lightening up the topic and essentially hijacking the thread (sorry)

... So.. why do you think it's called 'Apollo'?
After Mango, followed Tango (not official though). Some call it Mango-refresh.

If Apollo was true, what could it be followed by? Something rhyming?

Anyone up for a better name?

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure Microsoft is going to do the best they can.

That said, I wish people would realize that sometimes companies just can't make every major system software update retroactively compatible to every device ever made. It's not fair to expect that, and if they do focus on supporting people with 3 year old phones as a main priority, that could easily hold back progress and keep WP8 from being as good as it could be.

Personally, I think the onerous demands for endless backwards compatibility have held Windows desktop OS's from being as good as they could be for years. There's just so many people, companies etc, out there clinging to Windows XP and crappy old software and 7 year old PC's that Microsoft has to work twice as hard to escape the inertia.

So, yes, hopefully WP8 will be available for all the phones, but to expect that, to think you're entitled to demand it for a 3 year old phone or you're going to throw a temper tantrum and go to another OS I think it's a little ridiculous.

I will be delighted if we can all have Apollo, but barring that, a nice refresh update that takes care of a few of the major requested missing features and a taste of Apollo stuff would be a satisfactory concession prize IMO.

I'm not a developer, but I do understand Apollo is not like the upgrade from 7 to Mango. It's a major rewrite of the whole enchilada. Entirely new kernel, no more Win CE 6.0, based on the NT kernel instead like the desktop OS's. It's major stuff.
When Apollo is expected to be delivered the oldest WP will be 2 years old, not 3.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Then buy another Android.

No one's saying they don't care. Some of us are just smart enough not to freak the f*ck out about stupid inconsequential bullish*t like this when there is no solid information yet.

Here's an idea. How about we all patiently wait like grown ups and see what happens instead of freaking out like 5 year olds throwing temper tantrums every day when a rumor site spews some nonsense from an "unnamed source"?

See, most of the time, my train of thought mirrors the above.

At the end of the day, these *are* only phones. Consumer gadgets. So it's best to not blow it all up into some wailing wall of worry.

Where I *will* disagree is the fact that it's totally unimportant; it *will* be important for both Microsoft and Nokia come the 2012 holiday season starting this Fall, and they're going to be attempting to sell Windows Phones with the supposed new OS.

Gadget consumers have long memories, and if they feel a shred of doubt about either of these two companies, and if/or they mishandle this lack-of-update issue, they'll look elsewhere.

Let's not forget that in the same time frame, this Fall, is when iPhone 5 also supposedly ships, so it's not like consumers won't have other *easy* options.

So, yeah......

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
How is WP7 not different from Android in the upgrades?

I've used 3 Android phones (including HTC Sensation XL). All the phones when I bought were in mid of the OS-cycles and were upgrade-ready for the next version.

Guess what?

None of those, not even HTC Sensation XL which was meant to upgrade in December 2011, ever got an upgrade! - Do I see anyone yelling at Google? Nope.

With Android you have to buy a new phone to get a new OS. With Windows Phone, you won't have to buy a new phone to get the next OS. Even if "Apollo" doesn't hit Lumia 900 or HTC Titan II, it's features will. To run 'real Apollo' you MUST have the Apollo device for the obvious reasons. OS features will come to these handsets, no matter what the 'sources' say. Things like folders, background tasks, UI updates, themes etc - without fail are making it to all the phones. That won't happen with Android ever.
You're wrong. The Samsung Galaxy S went from Eclaire to FroYo to Gingerbread. That's 2 full upgrades. The US versions went to FroYo but the Sprint version of it went to Gingerbread (Epic 4G) - US has more issues with updates due to the carriers interfering and modifying the devices.

My mom's HTC Inspire 4G went from FroYo to Gingerbread via OTA update.

The Droid X went from Eclair to FroYo to Gingerbread.

You're wrong in too many cases. Flagship Android phones do not get left behind like that. They are in 90% of cases well-supported for at least the first year of their life even with heavy carrier/OEM customization.

Verizon/Sprint and even AT&T's Android updates have been way better than their WP7 updates despite the OS being barely customized and them having comparatively very very few of those devices compared to the Android devices.

P.S. T-Mobile is actually becoming one of the worst carriers for smartphone updates these days for Android. Remember the #NeverAgain campaign for the Vibrant FroYo update that made headlines?

The OEMs/Carriers seem to not be dragging their feet on ICS updates, though...

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Really? REALLY? All your Androids have gotten 2-3 updates? I have news for you... all my WP devices have gotten more than 3 updates.

Many people moved from Android, because they don't want to deal with custom roms galore. So yes, who cares?

Your windows phones have gotten one major update - Mango. And I'm assuming they didn't come with Mango pre-installed. Surely you aren't going to refer to NoDo and 8107 as major updates, no? I mean, even Android phones get minor updates that add features.

Samsung Vibrant was abandoned at FroYo and even it got like 5 updates from T-Mobile, including several maintenance updates.

Droid X/Epic 4G and others went from Eclair to Gingerbread.

No one is forcing anyone to deal with custom ROMs on Android, and WP7 has custom ROMs as well. Tens of millions of Android users probably don't even know what a Custom ROM is. The amount of people who have ever visited XDA+Android Central since they began is probably less than 5% of the total world-wide Android user base of people who have Android phones and use them RIGHT NOW.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy