So, no multi core from Nokia? Thoughts

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read that multi core processors actually get better battery life. Samsung claims that the new quad-core galaxy s3 gets 20% better battery life than the dual core s2. The claim is that if you have 4 smaller cores but don't need the processing power of more than one of them the other 3 are idle thereby saving the battery. Car companies have built v8 engines with the capability of running on 6 or 4 to get better gas mileage. Same concept.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
You obviously never owned a Cadillac V-8-6-4. The concept was nice on paper, so was communism.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia uses battery life as an excuse for skimping on everything.

They will never let that excuse get old.
Umm, no. Engineers decide what's best for the item to work properly within its design parameters. The bean counters decide what's best for the item to make the company as profitable as possible. Somewhere in between, the consumer gets hosed and needs a visit to the proctologist. This is called the real world, don't think for one minute that company "A" is out to get us and company "B" is really looking out for their loyal customers. If you believe that, I own a bridge in New York that I'm trying to get rid of. ;)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Some relevant points I think worth considering here are:

1.) Multi-core processors don't do anything for performance unless the software that runs on them is optimized to use multiple cores. Even on desktop computers, most apps still aren't optimized to benefit from multiple cores. The OS's are, so the computers generally handle multiple threads better and perform faster. But until a version of Windows Phone OS is released that is designed to use multi-core processors (WP8 I'm sure will be) there won't be any advantage. Unless the tame sort of tombstoning multi-tasking that WP does now changes to something more robust, I think dual cores aren't going to do much. Remember it will also take a while for native WP8 apps to come out, and only SOME of those are going to be designed to actually use multiple cores and benefit from them. Multiple cores aren't like adding clock cycles, they don't automatically make everything run faster all on their own.

2.) More cores don't necessarily use more energy. Samsung's new quad-core Exynos chip actually uses significantly LESS energy than the dual-core chip it supersedes.

3.) There's no sense is getting too excited about dual-core WP8 phones now. Even if they start shipping them at the end of the year, they aren't going to be amazingly different from the single core processors until brand new apps are written to use them. Even then, you are only going to see a difference in apps that demand a lot of performance. Like games for example. Most of the apps you use every day won't run any faster with 2 cores. There's a lot of marketing hype behind this. The most exciting part about dual-cores is not an overnight performance jump, it's what it will mean for future development of the OS and apps much further down the road, say a year, two years down the road. It will enable more robust features, like better integration of voice recognition features throughout the OS and much better, more complex games with better graphics. But it's going to take a while until we see those things.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've read that multi core processors actually get better battery life. Samsung claims that the new quad-core galaxy s3 gets 20% better battery life than the dual core s2. The claim is that if you have 4 smaller cores but don't need the processing power of more than one of them the other 3 are idle thereby saving the battery. Car companies have built v8 engines with the capability of running on 6 or 4 to get better gas mileage. Same concept.

The only problem with that analogy is, more cylinders on a car mean more horsepower and the car goes faster no matter what.

Adding more cores to a phone without an OS and apps to use them is more like adding speeds to the transmission maybe. If you go from a 4 speed to a 6 speed it's great if you go on the highway at top speed, but if you only drive 35 mph around town, it makes no difference.

Same is true with multi-core processors. Until you have an OS that can use them AND apps that are written to use them and are demanding enough to need the performance, they don't do all that much.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So do we (WP OS) really need multiple cores? With the way the OS is running currently is just as smooth than any other OS. I really don't think WP needs multiple cores even with WP8 and I think the cores will only come out for marketing purposes and to battle the other phones on different OSs out there. I agree 100% with Elop and don't think WP needs it. But who knows, MS will by all means increase the OS power and apps that need multiple core will come out and with that, we have no choice than to stay with them. OSs get destroyed when multiple cores come in the picture and devices wouldn't be able to upgrade.....at least that's what I think. :)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Games really don't require four cores to operate like that. The games you'd play on a phone should at most only require 2. Plus, with ICS isn't there some sort of graphics processor offloading involved? I would say if the quad core saves me battery life then by all means. But there aren't many quad core phones available now to prove the point. Do they get more juice than WP7 devices? If it's even equal, I'll be all for it.

mud314

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I really could care less about multi cores on a phone that already works blazingly fast. It's not android, where the OS does require extra power to run smooth. So if WP7/8 don't come with multi cores it's not going to affect my buying option. It's going to be down to Mfr: Nokia or HTC, in that order. Samsung can keep their phones. Just not a fan of their phones.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
So do we (WP OS) really need multiple cores? With the way the OS is running currently is just as smooth than any other OS. I really don't think WP needs multiple cores even with WP8 and I think the cores will only come out for marketing purposes and to battle the other phones on different OSs out there. I agree 100% with Elop and don't think WP needs it. But who knows, MS will by all means increase the OS power and apps that need multiple core will come out and with that, we have no choice than to stay with them. OSs get destroyed when multiple cores come in the picture and devices wouldn't be able to upgrade.....at least that's what I think. :)

Supporting multiple core architectures will allow them to build more powerful features into the OS in future, like more robust multi-tasking for one example.

But supporting multiple cores does not mean it would have to be a requirement to run the OS. Both iOS and Android OS's run on single core and multi-core processors.

It's not going to lock anyone out of anything necessarily, but it is an evolutionary step that WP needs to take in order to stay competitive and be ready for more powerful apps and capability in the future which will require it.

Eventually multiple core processors are going to be the standard so the sooner WP starts building the foundation for that future, the better.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
In addition to what others have said, as better chips come out they are made using smaller and smaller manufacturing processes which also helps with efficiency.

Battery drain due to the processor depends on a huge amount of factors, and so it really isn't necessarily true to say that more cores = more battery drain.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I've always been a bit curious about battery vs multi cores. If you think about it. You need to carry a load of 20kilograms. Which will take more energy? Carrying it with 1 hand or 2? You can carry it for a longer period of time with 2 hands as compared to 1. Meaning it consumes less energy. Makes sense?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I think WP doesn't "need" multi-cores,
BUT, WP does "want" multi-cores : That will only to be to lure those developers, customers and say we have this too.

Currently only thing that makes WP stand out is UI, OS-Integrations.
With multi-cores, it will tick the boxes for "hardware as good as anything else"
..then... if..IF WP8 will bridge the gaps in features and add a few more exclusives, I don't see anything stopping WP this Christmas :)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, Nokia isn't broke. They may be dwindling a bit, but not broke. They were tops years ago and are still sitting on that money hoping for this Lumia line to rejuvenate their success. They can afford more cores. Can they afford to leave out multi-core smartphones, probably not.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I've always been a bit curious about battery vs multi cores. If you think about it. You need to carry a load of 20kilograms. Which will take more energy? Carrying it with 1 hand or 2? You can carry it for a longer period of time with 2 hands as compared to 1. Meaning it consumes less energy. Makes sense?

No. It takes the same amount of energy whether you use one hand or two.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Given Nokia's present financial situation I'm not sure they could afford more than one core! ;)

S25EO.gif

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
1) Nokia doesn't get to choose the hardware for Windows Phone. OEMs are currently restricted to S2 Snapdragon SoCs, so this hardware choice has nothing to do with Nokia.

Didn't the OEMs push Microsoft to support LTE before Apollo, when they were initially supposed to start supporting it?

And if you seriously think an Exynos was two hummingbird cores bolted together (or 4 in the case of the quad), then I don't know how to respond to that last statement. Really, it's like saying a Core 2 Duo was 2 P4s bolted together. It just sounds ignorant.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
While I've always said that dual cores or more of a battery strain, I still assumed companies would do it on windows phones. Especially the dwindling Nokia company. HTC and Samsung are reportedly doing it. Do you think this will be a bad move on Nokia? Do you think they will change their minds? Why hasn't someone figured out the secret to long battery life on multi cores? Won't this hinder some ability for better video capturing? Maybe they will be going for a faster single core. Who knows?!?!

Article here:
Nokia Will Not Have Multi-Core Windows Phones For Some Time - CEO States They Just Waste Batteries

Old interview and personally I'm not affected. It's a marketing ploy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes