Is there a way to disable the camera?

Lord Panos

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
So I'm planning to go to the army next year but a friend told me they don't allow gadgets with camera there (go figure...). So is there a way to disable it? I'd prefer not to stick a knife and "kill" the camera.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to disable it in software that I know of, but it's unlikely they'll allow that anyway (too easy to re-enable it). It'll almost certainly take permanent disablement to pass inspection. Check with them to see if they have approved methods for permanent disablement - they may accept a blob of paint on the lens, or sandpapering the lens to the point where it won't take a picture, or something else besides going all oedipus on it.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
duct tape would cause least amount of damage. Just put something soft in between the camera and tape itself to protect the lens.

sandpaper and knife is kind drastic

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well honestly the BEST way to do this with out KILLING your phone ( but its still gona wave your warranty)

Open up the phone ( NOT WITH A KNIFE, lol , I know your jar heads are haha j/k)

and remove the camera from the phone it self ( or the lends )

duck tape is to easy to remove to then take a picture with.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
duct tape would cause least amount of damage. Just put something soft in between the camera and tape itself to protect the lens.

sandpaper and knife is kind drastic

Tape is easily removed. The sites I've worked at with no-camera policies would not allow any phone with a camera unless that camera had been permanently disabled by physical means. Removal of the lens, severe disfigurement of the lens, permanent epoxy on the lens and body, etc. I would be surprised if the Army's policy isn't at least that strong. In my case I was allowed to check in my smartphone and swap my SIM into a loaner dumbphone while I was on site.

OP, if you want to take a smartphone and don't want to destroy your current phone then your best bet is to buy one of the camera-less smartphone. I don't think there are any WP7 devices like that but there are blackberry and android smartphones without cameras.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
There will likely be camera-less Windows Phones later this year. MS recently removed the requirement to have one as its important for many businesses & governmental agencies.

For now, you'll have to simply break or remove the camera it sounds like.

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
OP, if you want to take a smartphone and don't want to destroy your current phone then your best bet is to buy one of the camera-less smartphone. I don't think there are any WP7 devices like that but there are blackberry and android smartphones without cameras.

He could also buy a cheap older WP that he doesn't mind destroying the camera on. Something like a Focus, a Quantum, or a Surround can be had pretty cheap second-hand. Remove, destroy, or otherwise permanently disable the camera, swap your SIM into that when you go on base, and leave your primary phone safe and sound at home. When you get home, swap the SIM back.

ChristyWhite

May 20, 2012
Visit site
So I'm planning to go to the army next year but a friend told me they don't allow gadgets with camera there (go figure...). So is there a way to disable it? I'd prefer not to stick a knife and "kill" the camera.

Go to the army? Cool!
And you may change for another one without camera device. Or you may have to kill it.:straight:

Last edited:

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I'm guessing your talking specifically about boot camp. First, you need to check with your recruiter and see if they will allow any type of electronic device. Now granted, the Army has changed alot since I was in, but when I went in, you didn't take anything but some misc. clothes and toiletries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon