iPhone iMmigrant

milljw

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Waiting for my Nokia Lumia 900 to arrive Monday. Migrating from an iPhone 3G. Anyone have any advice about switching from iOS to WP7? What do you wish you would have known when you first switched?

Thanks in advance!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
What apps do you currently use on your iPhone? We might be able to point out some Windows Phone equivalents.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Waiting for my Nokia Lumia 900 to arrive Monday. Migrating from an iPhone 3G. Anyone have any advice about switching from iOS to WP7? What do you wish you would have known when you first switched?

Thanks in advance!
Sup matety. So switchin heres a gud, choice. So da intergration is outstanding. If you have a fb account you get ur photos in da photos hub. Ur converstaion on fb in the messenging hub and ur contacts in da people hub. Ur calender events ur friend birthdays in da calender. And ur subject. Da os is smooth so not crashes or anytying apart from some apps. And it may take time to get used to. And there may not be offical apps. But you get 3RD Party ONES. Which are very gud. And one app i reccomend you get is metrotube. It'S A YOUTUBE APP. It's free at da moment.

milljw

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
What apps do you currently use on your iPhone? We might be able to point out some Windows Phone equivalents.

Thanks for the idea. I found the following apps in the WP App store, so obviously I'll continue to use them:
Netflix
Ebay
Amazon
GasBuddy
Shazam
Kayak
IMDB
Evernote
Dictionary.com

I would be curious about replacements for these apps, however:
Priceline Negotiator
FlightView (flight tracker)
Pandora
GoMeals (nutritional info)
Feeddler (Google Reader)
Notes
iReview (quizlet flash card app)

Also curious about any specific advice about using WP7 in comparison to iOS. Are there any basic moves that are different that took some getting used to?

Thanks again.

12Danny123 said:
And one app i reccomend you get is metrotube. It'S A YOUTUBE APP. It's free at da moment.

Thanks. I'll check out metrotube.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the idea. I found the following apps in the WP App store, so obviously I'll continue to use them:
Netflix
Ebay
Amazon
GasBuddy
Shazam
Kayak
IMDB
Evernote
Dictionary.com

Priceline Negotiator
Pandora
Feeddler (Google Reader)
Notes

Also curious about any specific advice about using WP7 in comparison to iOS. Are there any basic moves that are different that took some getting used to?

Thanks again.

Thanks. I'll check out metrotube.

Well for Pandora, I just switched over to Slacker as it's included anyway. Couldn't be happier either as I think there's a much better variety of music than what they play on Pandora. For instance, U2 (my all time favorite) channel I created on Pandora, just plays hits by U2 and the other associated artists. Whereas on Slacker, I get a lot of the lesser known tracks by U2, as well as other artists tracks that weren't hits and some of which, I've never heard before.

I'm totally sold on Slacker over Pandora to be honest. However, I still stream Pandora on my Google Tv as well as my wife's Inc2.

AMPed126

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Metroradio is a very good Pandora app, I use to have Android and it runs better than the Pandora made Android app. Other than that I do not use the other apps you asked so I can't give you more than that, sorry man, but welcome to the windows phone im sure you will love it once you get used to it!!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
You don't need shazam at all on WP,the built in functionality serves that purpose well. Also on iOS you need apps to accomplish alot of tasks that people use smartphones for. On WP it's all integrated. The apps on WP also look wayy better compared to those on iOS.

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Priceline Negotiator
Pandora
Feeddler (Google Reader)
Notes
Here are some that I use, hope this helps!
FlightView (flight tracker) --> FlightWatcher (free version while I'm evaluating it)
Pandora --> I use iHeartRadio's custom station and it works quite well. Haven't missed Pandora yet.
Notes --> OneNote that's built into the OS (under the Office Hub)

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
For the Google Reader, go with nextgen Reader, best one out there. As for Pandora, I've said FU to them basically and gone with Slacker Radio, which honestly seems to have more variety and good quality.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Flight Tracker by Shoreline Animation (there is more than one app with a similar name) works well. And Nutrition Finder handles most of my needs.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I use Wonder Reader for RSS feeds. You also can use NextGen, FeedReader and yomomedia as well.

I also use feeddler on the 4S and these are just as good.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
GoMeals (nutritional info) -> Nutrition

i've only ever used nutrition before so i don't know if its good or bad, but at least its something to go on

a tip on OneNote, pin create new on to the home screen for quick access when you need to take notes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes