Windows Live ID Dilemma

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm hoping one of you lovely users can provide some help or insight into this problem im having. Well I have a Launch Day Cyan 900 (Wuv this thing) Anyways back then when setting it up at the ATT store the technician set up my phone and when he asked me for my email address I gave him my normal windows live ID that I have used for email and skydrive etc. Well It's also connected to an old xboxlive gamertag which had been banned over a couple years ago (cod4 modded lobbies hahaha).
Fast forward 4 months or so until now and It's biting me in the butt. Ive purchased about 30 dollars worth of apps or so already and this is my main live account. But I wanted to sign up for Zune pass and can't because of the xboxlive situation. Nor can I use xboxlive enabled games or the companion app :( . Well my question is do you think there any possible way to over overcome this rather than forgoing all my apps/main email/skydrive and switching to another live account.

-sincerely, sounders all replies are helpful. thankyou.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, your Xbox Live account IS your windows phone account. The Live ID is only used to identify your gamertag, and also for emails and skydrive. I hate to say this but your $30 worth of apps? Wasted.

Your Xbox Live account and Zune account is unified. Think of it as your core account, and your live ID is just a "key" to your core account. So purchases goes through Xbox Live, not hotmail.

On the other hand, it is partly your fault. If you weren't messing with Xbox Live lobby mods then you wouldn't have been banned. Also not to mention it is part of EULA and/or ToS of Xbox Live service.

The best you can do now if you want to get Zune is tie-in your current Xbox Live account, the one you actually use, to your main live ID. Although your purchases will be gone to the old banned Xbox Live, the upside is once you change the email of your current Xbox Live account to your main live ID, you can use Zune services and have Zune Pass enabled. If you want to keep your apps, then you have no choice but to stick with the banned Xbox Live account.

Unless you're filthy rich like me who have spent 50 bux on an NZ account, then wanted a zune pass which requires a US account so I had to make a new US-based account and have to re-purchase ALL my apps, then make a new XBL account despite the fact that I've had sooooo many achievements on the NZ account, knowing that I will lose all those just to have a US XBL and Zune Pass.

3oc935.jpg

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I know I deserved the ban. Just sucks though lol.. But Yea Thats what ive cam to the understanding ill probably need to do. lol *sigh* Anybody know if the transferring license feature for consoles also somehow how reciprocates for your window device?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well it IS possible to change your e-mail link to your gamer tag....

now because it banned you might not be able to but....

try changing the e-mail link to your GT, then create a new GT with the old e-mail... lol

from the Xbox:
Settings > Account > Your Info > Windows Live ID > Change Live ID

From the Web: On xbox.com go to "My Account" (at the top of the page) and "Change Password" (right side column in the body of the page). It will take you to account management where you can change your live id etc.

or call MS and beg.. lol
maybe explain he WP situation about your Paid apps, they in theory can Xfer them over to a new GT.

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

try changing the e-mail link to your GT, then create a new GT with the old e-mail... lol

from the Xbox:

From the Web: On xbox.com go to "My Account" (at the top of the page) and "Change Password" (right side column in the body of the page). It will take you to account management where you can change your live id etc.

or call MS and beg.. lol
maybe explain he WP situation about your Paid apps, they in theory can Xfer them over to a new GT.

Thanks these are some of the theories I was playing with ill try them when I get home!

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

from the Xbox:

or call MS and beg.. lol

They explain how to switch to a different live id and even switch gamertags between two live ids

Change Windows Live ID | Xbox Windows Live ID | Windows Live ID Xbox - Xbox.com

"Switch gamertags between two Windows Live ID accounts"

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I thought the XBL bans were done by console serial numbers or something

It's by a key. But they do those an account suspensions which can be from 2 weeks to 9999 years lol.

But Yea The website says if I switch my gamertag from the live id everything on my windows phone would become broken lol.. But i'ma see. I'll probably call first before I resort to that.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
It's by a key. But they do those an account suspensions which can be from 2 weeks to 9999 years lol.

But Yea The website says if I switch my gamertag from the live id everything on my windows phone would become broken lol.. But i'ma see. I'll probably call first before I resort to that.
Here's what happened when I did it (picked the wrong live id at first too and now with win8 decided it's time to fix it)
When you switch the xbox gamer tag to another live id, all of your zune and windows phone purchases go with it. That means apps, music, zune pass, xbox game history will all be moved to the new live id.
Once you do that, you have to do a hard reset on the phone to switch to the new live account or you won't be able to install new apps.

so, if it's your gamer tag that's banned, your out of luck since all your app purchases are connected to it

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's what happened when I did it (picked the wrong live id at first too and now with win8 decided it's time to fix it)
When you switch the xbox gamer tag to another live id, all of your zune and windows phone purchases go with it. That means apps, music, zune pass, xbox game history will all be moved to the new live id.
Once you do that, you have to do a hard reset on the phone to switch to the new live account or you won't be able to install new apps.

so, if it's your gamer tag that's banned, your out of luck since all your app purchases are connected to it

ahh thanks bud. Well.. atleast I can keep the email. repurchase the apps and get a zune pass.

Last edited:

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Talked to support for a good 30mins today. They said I shouldnt have been able to make purchases on the windows phone marketplace on a banned account. It's a hole in their system. The only advice they can give me is to switch the GT to another WLID and switch a working one to this WLID. The purchases could possibly stay on this account. They're not sure due to the licensing being diff than xboxlive. So.. I'll switch everything around sometime soon I guess... lol Get back to you guys if it works.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I just hope it works out with you. I've done the same thing before by switching an NZ Live ID to a US gamertag but purchases didn't transfer because afaik every gamertag has its own microsoft billing account. So I ended up with a full US account. But hey, they're Microsoft, they should be able to do something.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Talked to support for a good 30mins today. They said I shouldnt have been able to make purchases on the windows phone marketplace on a banned account. It's a hole in their system. The only advice they can give me is to switch the GT to another WLID and switch a working one to this WLID. The purchases could possibly stay on this account. They're not sure due to the licensing being diff than xboxlive. So.. I'll switch everything around sometime soon I guess... lol Get back to you guys if it works.

It doesn't hurt to try, but my app purchases went with my gamertag to the new WLID

Sounders

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Sadly it's not letting me change anything. So only way to remedy this is to abandon my old windows live id. and use the new one. which means losing my skydrive and email. I really wish they had a way to remedy this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes