Tango...aka royal screw job by the "Premier Windows Phone carrier"

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've had enough. Everyone, including me, has waited by patiently and not really said anything but I'm f-ing sick of ATT. Microsoft should be ashamed and ATT should never call itself premier anything again.

ATT refused to release 8107, or anything else that provided a critical update. Fine. It was assumed they would release Tango post haste to fix those critical problems and also include the updates.

Here we sit on the last day of July with nothing. We've suffered the disappearing keyboard for almost a YEAR and we have a carrier who could care less.

Microsoft should have NEVER taken down the where's my update page. It was the ONLY thing that cast the spotlight on carrier's (ATT) shady ways.

Tango may be minor, but it shows what happens when carriers have no attention put on them. ATT is dispicable and this kind of service is almost criminal.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Unfortunately the carriers have MS by the balls, nothing they can really do since they basically have to beg them to sell WP devices, despite all the talk of how carriers want an alternative to the iphone. They know that it will sell tons for them and they are really only doing the minimal for WP while they wait for the next one.

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
I noticed your on Straight Talk (same here)

I didnt want to wait for an Update I figured I wouldnt get through Straight Talk... So I upgraded myself. Have you considered that route?

So being on Straight Talk, youd still get the ATT updates?

EDIT: from the other thread; turns out you should be able to get the update.

My coworker with the same phone and on ATT was notified of the update last week.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately the carriers have MS by the balls, nothing they can really do since they basically have to beg them to sell WP devices, despite all the talk of how carriers want an alternative to the iphone. They know that it will sell tons for them and they are really only doing the minimal for WP while they wait for the next one.
Actually Microsoft has the carriers by the balls because the subsidy for iPhones are so much that it is starting to cut into AT&T and Verizon's profits. AT&T and Verizon have been trying to get people to move to Android and with AT&T, Windows Phone.

Also, is there a way to de-brand a Lumia 900? I am tired of not getting updates. We should annoy microsoft and http://twitter.com/WinPhoneSupport to get the Wheres my update page back up.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I noticed your on Straight Talk (same here)

I didnt want to wait for an Update I figured I wouldnt get through Straight Talk... So I upgraded myself. Have you considered that route?

So being on Straight Talk, youd still get the ATT updates?

EDIT: from the other thread; turns out you should be able to get the update.

My coworker with the same phone and on ATT was notified of the update last week.

no dude that's got nothing to do with it. I have a Titan on ST, means nothing. ATT has a database of IMEIs, they release those back to Microsoft and when your phone matches one of those in Zune you get the update. Or you can do the force trick. But ATT hasn't even released the update cabs for Titan so it is SOL. What phones they have updated it has been a piss trickle and completely random.

My main problem is ATT has already proven they can push out updates quickly (900 LTE debacle). Other carriers AROUND THE WORLD have pushed out Tango. I've not heard any wide spread reports of problems with the update. This is just ATT being negligent to Windows Phone owners.

gentry33

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I share in the frustration. They completely fail in customer service by not supporting the product that they sell. It's not that we can't find alternative ways to upgrade our devices, it's that we shouldn't have to. I have stayed with at&t (no caps for smalltime operation) and cingular one reason, GSM bandwidth which is used on most of the planet.

I know that Tmobile is also GSM but their coverage here is not so hot.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
We need to file a complainant with the FCC and FTC that our handhelp computers are being refused critical software. No change to the radio hardware, Att should have no say what so ever how, when, why and by whom I get an update. Cox, Time Warner & Att can't stop my Windows 7 PC from getting updates.

Plus MS said Nodo was the last botched update, whoops...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I share in the frustration. They completely fail in customer service by not supporting the product that they sell. It's not that we can't find alternative ways to upgrade our devices, it's that we shouldn't have to. I have stayed with at&t (no caps for smalltime operation) and cingular one reason, GSM bandwidth which is used on most of the planet.

I know that Tmobile is also GSM but their coverage here is not so hot.

well the solution to your problem is to go with Straight Talk and take your dollars away from ATT. You will still get ATT coverage, but you won't be paying ATT rates.

It is my hope that some day ATT is reduced to just a company that maintains the towers and the pipes. That has to happen one person at a time. They should have no business providing updates to phones, their track record speaks for itself.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had enough. Everyone, including me, has waited by patiently and not really said anything but I'm f-ing sick of ATT. Microsoft should be ashamed and ATT should never call itself premier anything again.

ATT refused to release 8107, or anything else that provided a critical update. Fine. It was assumed they would release Tango post haste to fix those critical problems and also include the updates.

Here we sit on the last day of July with nothing. We've suffered the disappearing keyboard for almost a YEAR and we have a carrier who could care less.

Microsoft should have NEVER taken down the where's my update page. It was the ONLY thing that cast the spotlight on carrier's (ATT) shady ways.

Tango may be minor, but it shows what happens when carriers have no attention put on them. ATT is dispicable and this kind of service is almost criminal.
AT&T had no issue getting ICS out to Android phones like the Vivid, GS2 and GS2 SR. Nitro HD ICS update coming out today, IIRC... Don't think it's primarily an AT&T issue. They're actually doing pretty well with updates these days. In fact, they're doing better than T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon - and that's with ANDROID updates...

WP7 shouldn't be an issue. If the update is taking forever, I'm willing to give AT&T the benefit of the doubt this time around and assume the issue may lie somewhere else. Maybe the manufacturers are putting WP7 on the backburner while they update their Android devices. That is where the money is for most of them, anyways...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
no that's really why I posted this. I think everyone has been giving ATT the benefit of the doubt since Mango went really well......but they have burned through ALL the good will from that. I guarantee as soon as the WMU page went away they were like "back to the good ole days boys!"

The updates are out there. We know this because they are hitting Titans and Lumias world wide. They are hitting phones on other carriers. And not this random onsey twosey some ATT people have reported.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If you're not satisfied with your support from AT&T, file a complaint with the BBB. The more they get, the more they'll have an impact.

LPMLJM

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
In my household we have 3 Samsung Focus i937's. Last week we were given 4 updates automatically. It went through all 4 with no intervention on our part other than plugging into Zune. It ended with 7.10.8773.98. I forgot to mention, we are with AT&T.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
no that's really why I posted this. I think everyone has been giving ATT the benefit of the doubt since Mango went really well......but they have burned through ALL the good will from that. I guarantee as soon as the WMU page went away they were like "back to the good ole days boys!"

The updates are out there. We know this because they are hitting Titans and Lumias world wide. They are hitting phones on other carriers. And not this random onsey twosey some ATT people have reported.

This is a little off topic but....

I see you have a Titan - its a good phone, but if you really want updates quickly and want to be free of AT&T's bull****, sell your Titan and go with a Focus S. It's a little bit smaller screen but same download speeds, lighter, and personally I think SAMOLED is nicer than SLCD. Then you can debrand your Focus S, upgrade it, and also sideload apps.

I mean, you're right, AT&T sucks and they SHOULD provide us the update, but there is a workaround in your situation if you want it.

You *could* also run a custom rom on your Titan, but that's a bit more of a challenge than what I recommended with the Focus S.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
If you're not satisfied with your support from AT&T, file a complaint with the BBB. The more they get, the more they'll have an impact.

i did that with the 8107 update. They pay off the BBB to auto close cases for them. I told the BBB there was no satisfactory resolution until ATT releases the proper update. They still marked the case as resolved. That just proves to me BBB is a patsy for ATT.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is a little off topic but....

I see you have a Titan - its a good phone, but if you really want updates quickly and want to be free of AT&T's bull****, sell your Titan and go with a Focus S. It's a little bit smaller screen but same download speeds, lighter, and personally I think SAMOLED is nicer than SLCD. Then you can debrand your Focus S, upgrade it, and also sideload apps.

I mean, you're right, AT&T sucks and they SHOULD provide us the update, but there is a workaround in your situation if you want it.

You *could* also run a custom rom on your Titan, but that's a bit more of a challenge than what I recommended with the Focus S.

Buying a different phone and hacking it is not a solution....its a hack. NOW Verizon is releasing Tango for the HTC Trophy, so we know HTC has provided updates for its phone.

This is all on ATT....they are a FAILURE.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
its not a hack ,

de-branding = carrier unlock, its 100% LEGIT!

if you carrier unlock your phone you can get the update right away!

- you call AT&T to have them unlock it.. ( carriers are expensive doh 50-100$ )
OR
- Go to a local electronic store ( not future shop or best buy ) but like a family owned ghetto store lol. they normally have a big sing that says. *WE UNLOCK PHONES*

pay them 20-30$ and your good to go!

or even find a dude on KIJIJI or Craigslist ( local to you) so he can do it in person. 20-30$

once thats done , use the force update method and BOOOM!

PS: the update is ready for every single model , if you dont have it yet its cause of Carrier/in queued

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
or swith to verizon... although we wait, i have never had any major issues with verizon . they take care of me. for example, i drop calls a lot in my house so they sent me a brand new samsung data booster for free. now i have 5 bars everywhere in my house... point being, big red seems to have better customer service than ATT

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
its not a hack ,

de-branding = carrier unlock, its 100% LEGIT!

if you carrier unlock your phone you can get the update right away!

- you call AT&T to have them unlock it.. ( carriers are expensive doh 50-100$ )
OR
- Go to a local electronic store ( not future shop or best buy ) but like a family owned ghetto store lol. they normally have a big sing that says. *WE UNLOCK PHONES*

pay them 20-30$ and your good to go!

or even find a dude on KIJIJI or Craigslist ( local to you) so he can do it in person. 20-30$

once thats done , use the force update method and BOOOM!

PS: the update is ready for every single model , if you dont have it yet its cause of Carrier/in queued

i have a Quantum. it is unlocked and debranded. It has not seen the update. Force doesnt work.

I have a Titan, it is unlocked and ATT branded. No update.

Lumia 900, locked and ATT branded, no update.

Three F-ing phones, not a single update on any of them because of ATT.

jswantek

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
i did that with the 8107 update. They pay off the BBB to auto close cases for them. I told the BBB there was no satisfactory resolution until ATT releases the proper update. They still marked the case as resolved. That just proves to me BBB is a patsy for ATT.

I did the same thing, with 8107. My complaint was successfully resolved.

I would suggest contacting AT&T's Office of the President.

Don't get me wrong, AT&T is by no means living up to the expectation of what a 'Premier Partner' should be. They've been nothing but horrible with support, updates, etc. But the Better Business Bureau most certainly did handle my complaint and see that it was properly resolved.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3