Tango...aka royal screw job by the "Premier Windows Phone carrier"

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I did the same thing, with 8107. My complaint was successfully resolved.

I would suggest contacting AT&T's Office of the President.

Don't get me wrong, AT&T is by no means living up to the expectation of what a 'Premier Partner' should be. They've been nothing but horrible with support, updates, etc. But the Better Business Bureau most certainly did handle my complaint and see that it was properly resolved.

how could it be "successfully resolved"? You didn't get 8107 and we are still not getting Tango widely. That's the biggest crock of ish I've heard. BBB marked it successful contrary to you?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Filled out a form with the FCC. For me, this is more about principle more than anything else. AT&T needs to get their act together.

What scares me most is that when 7.8 comes out, AT&T is going to be the last to push the update, if at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they withhold it to encourage customers to purchase new WP8 phones.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing, with 8107. My complaint was successfully resolved.

I would suggest contacting AT&T's Office of the President.

Don't get me wrong, AT&T is by no means living up to the expectation of what a 'Premier Partner' should be. They've been nothing but horrible with support, updates, etc. But the Better Business Bureau most certainly did handle my complaint and see that it was properly resolved.

If it wasn't for AT&T there'd hardly be any Windows Phones on the market in the US. You seriously don't think Sprint or Verizon would carry that many high end WP7 devices even split between the two of them, do you? And T-Mobile hasn't carried a high end WP7 device since the HD7 launched and it was actually the least innovative WP7 device on the market in the launch pack...

Premier partner doesn't mean "we'll bend over backwards to update phones that sell not even 1/10th as well as the others in our portfolio."

It means "we will carry and market your platform more than our carrier competitors."

AT&T being PP to MS means as much as Verizon being PP to Motorola. It didn't somehow shackle Verizon and make them bend over backwards to give updates when some users decided they wanted it. It just meant that Verizon got all the best Motorola Android devices (which they did, for years).

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
the HD7 was actually a great device at launch, paling only to the Focus. I dont count the DVP cause it was a launch debacle.

ATT has to do NOTHING but call Microsoft and "say push the button" and we all get updates. That lack of such a minimal amount of effort is spiteful and negligent.

Long Syntax

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I had gotten fed up with waiting patiently for a fix to my disappearing keyboard issue for my i917 Focs and decided to call ATT regarding the problem. I could post a long description of my 90 minute call, but it's just too boring to recount. The end result is that nobody knows when it will be released, at least not anyone that I could talk to. The only solution they could offer me was an upgrade to another phone - at my cost and another 2 year committment. Umm, no thanks.

I hate carriers - they're evil - sorry, just had to say that.

I know I could unock the phone and sideload the 8773 update, but it's the principle of the matter. I've had this issue since last year after the tango update, and they still can't get it out?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really want Microsoft and Nokia to push unlocked, unbranded phones hard with WP8. Not that we'll be at the mercy of carriers for updates then, but I would prefer to have zero ties to ATT. I'm almost there as it is, but all my phones still say ATT on them.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I really want Microsoft and Nokia to push unlocked, unbranded phones hard with WP8. Not that we'll be at the mercy of carriers for updates then, but I would prefer to have zero ties to ATT. I'm almost there as it is, but all my phones still say ATT on them.

I second this.

diplomat696

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Wish someone would shine a big bright spotlight on AT&T and give them a little egg on their faces on a National spot light, it might actually kick them into gear to do something in a reasonable time frame.

Contacting your local tv news outlet anyone? mwahahaha

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
If it wasn't for AT&T there'd hardly be any Windows Phones on the market in the US. You seriously don't think Sprint or Verizon would carry that many high end WP7 devices even split between the two of them, do you? And T-Mobile hasn't carried a high end WP7 device since the HD7 launched and it was actually the least innovative WP7 device on the market in the launch pack...

Premier partner doesn't mean "we'll bend over backwards to update phones that sell not even 1/10th as well as the others in our portfolio."

It means "we will carry and market your platform more than our carrier competitors."

AT&T being PP to MS means as much as Verizon being PP to Motorola. It didn't somehow shackle Verizon and make them bend over backwards to give updates when some users decided they wanted it. It just meant that Verizon got all the best Motorola Android devices (which they did, for years).

Unfortunately, this is 100% true.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Filled out a form with the FCC. For me, this is more about principle more than anything else. AT&T needs to get their act together.

What scares me most is that when 7.8 comes out, AT&T is going to be the last to push the update, if at all. It wouldn't surprise me if they withhold it to encourage customers to purchase new WP8 phones.
Can your post a link so we can fill out w/e form you filled out with the FCC? Also Microsoft said they are bypassing carriers starting with WP 7.8.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Can your post a link so we can fill out w/e form you filled out with the FCC? Also Microsoft said they are bypassing carriers starting with WP 7.8.

Microsoft said they were implementing OTA updates and giving enthusiasts a way to get the update early. They DID NOT say they were bypassing carriers. Go back and listen to it. Too many people heard what they wanted to hear.

here is where you file a BBB complaint against ATT:

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-compla...ireless/90a0e4fe-f52b-43a6-b0b5-722a6408f7c2/

Here is where you file an FCC complaint:

File Complaint | FCC.gov

and here I would even file an FTC complaint for a deliberately defective product:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/FTC_Wizard.aspx?Lang=en

rbunson

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Frustration!

I too have been patient with AT&T, letting their inaction and lack of clarity be tempered with an assumption that eventually, but in a reasonable amount of time, they'd release the updates to Windows Phones locked on their network. They've proven that while Microsoft fixed their fragmentation issue with the Windows Mobile platform of years past, they haven't been able to be strong with the domestic carriers' ability to test and deploy updates. What happened with the policy that carriers could block an update but the following update would be approved regardless of the carrier's update status? I have a Samsung Focus and have been tempted to force the updates to my phone, but I'm not comfortable doing so.

The rationale of 1st 'gen' phones not being capable of neither receiving updates nor being fully supported is unacceptable - especially now that we know that the Focus IS getting the updates on other carriers in other countries.

What this leads me to - beyond pressing the BBB or FCC, or whomever - is a class action lawsuit. Based on this article from the Chicago Tribune: Higher service margins help AT&T beat estimates - chicagotribune.com.

Like its bigger rival Verizon Wireless, AT&T has been curtailing the frequency of smartphone upgrades for its customers to cut costs.

It's clear that specifically AT&T chose to do what they think is best for their bottom line versus the customer experience.

Thus, this leads me back to my notion of a class action lawsuit. It seems as though lawsuits are the only thing that motivates big companies these days. AT&T clearly intentionally harmed their customers. Should AT&T test the updates before approving them, sure, but when the same phone is getting updates in other markets, then there should be a window of approval time based on both the success rate and adoption rate after which the updates are automatically approved.

My final thought on this is that with Windows Phone 8 getting OTA updates by design, this had better be the LAST time that we have to deal with a middle-man which hinders our excellent product. While I'd love to switch to another carrier, I do have an incredible deal with AT&T that makes me feel like I'm permanently tied to their network. (Work pays for most of the bill and at a discount)

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the Focus with AT&T and since Mango I've had the disappearing keyboard problem. It upsets me that AT&T is fully aware of this and they haven't sent the update that clearly corrects the keyboard problem. I'd rather update normally instead of forcing the update.

Is AT&T simply ignoring their 1st gen WP owners? Sounds to me like they're waiting for this issue to "go away" once iPhone 5 and WP8 comes out because most 1st get WP users will be due to upgrade their phones at that time.

alex6272

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
its not a hack ,

de-branding = carrier unlock, its 100% LEGIT!

if you carrier unlock your phone you can get the update right away!

- you call AT&T to have them unlock it.. ( carriers are expensive doh 50-100$ )
OR
- Go to a local electronic store ( not future shop or best buy ) but like a family owned ghetto store lol. they normally have a big sing that says. *WE UNLOCK PHONES*

pay them 20-30$ and your good to go!

or even find a dude on KIJIJI or Craigslist ( local to you) so he can do it in person. 20-30$

once thats done , use the force update method and BOOOM!

PS: the update is ready for every single model , if you dont have it yet its cause of Carrier/in queued

If I'm not mistaken, carrier unlocks and de-branding are very different things. Carrier unlock allows you to use the phone on other networks while still receiving updates from the original carrier. De-branding removes all association with that original carrier. My phone is carrier unlocked and all my updates are still on AT&T's schedule.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
you are correct. carrier unlock you can take ATT phone to T-mobile. de branding means taking off the authority of which carrier is responsible for your updates and making the phone appear as if it were purchased in the clear, free from carriers.

That doesn't matter to a large extent because of ATT exclusive first gen phones like the surround, the hold all the keys.

Gemini Ace

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had enough. Everyone, including me, has waited by patiently and not really said anything but I'm f-ing sick of ATT. Microsoft should be ashamed and ATT should never call itself premier anything again.

ATT refused to release 8107, or anything else that provided a critical update. Fine. It was assumed they would release Tango post haste to fix those critical problems and also include the updates.

Here we sit on the last day of July with nothing. We've suffered the disappearing keyboard for almost a YEAR and we have a carrier who could care less.

Microsoft should have NEVER taken down the where's my update page. It was the ONLY thing that cast the spotlight on carrier's (ATT) shady ways.

Tango may be minor, but it shows what happens when carriers have no attention put on them. ATT is dispicable and this kind of service is almost criminal.

Oh the humanity! Suffering? Really? Criminal? Seriously?

So basically Microsoft and AT&T have conspired, most likely in a dark and smokey back room where they meet secretly, to keep you from having the Tango update.

Sounds legit.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
What this leads me to - beyond pressing the BBB or FCC, or whomever - is a class action lawsuit. Based on this article from the Chicago Tribune: Higher service margins help AT&T beat estimates - chicagotribune.com.

Like its bigger rival Verizon Wireless, AT&T has been curtailing the frequency of smartphone upgrades for its customers to cut costs.

It's clear that specifically AT&T chose to do what they think is best for their bottom line versus the customer experience.
I believe the article refers to early upgrades while in a contract to get a new phone. This used to be $75 over the 2 year contract price after 6 months. This has been upped to $250 after 1 year.

This has nothing to do with OS Updates.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3