Unable to connect to IM

HellSlyne

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my first thread here. Thanks for having me :)

Now to the problem, I'm unable to sign into IM since 23/8. I tried wifi/2g. I also tried to change status: Me->sat chat status. It always shows 'can't connect to IM'

I'm on Lumia 900 running 7.8. My 'battery saver' is not on. There are only two apps on background tasks excluding advanced.
Is there anything else I can try other than resetting?

Regards,
HellSlyne

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Tapatalk

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I know why.

Is there any chance that you changed your primary alias on your outlook.com? Whatever email address you used on your phone HAS TO MATCH the PRIMARY alias on your outlook.com. Recently Outlook.com allowed you to change the primary account email address to any of the aliases you created. If you did that and changed it, IM will stop working. I ran into this myself but the other way around. I reset my phone and this time I used one of my outlook.com aliases instead of my original (and primary) live ID. IM never worked. Drove me crazy till I discovered why. I simply went to outlook.com and made the alias my primary and it worked.

tl;dr: the LiveID you used to set up your Windows Phone has to be the PRIMARY alias on your outlook.com account.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is my first thread here. Thanks for having me :)

Now to the problem, I'm unable to sign into IM since 23/8. I tried wifi/2g. I also tried to change status: Me->sat chat status. It always shows 'can't connect to IM'

I'm on Lumia 900 running 7.8. My 'battery saver' is not on. There are only two apps on background tasks excluding advanced.
Is there anything else I can try other than resetting?

Regards,
HellSlyne

If you have Skype, then In a case of WP8 log out from Skype ... in case of WP7, I think that you can not log out so uninstall Skype :(

It sounds very strange, but it is the way I fixed my case ... after logging out from Skype, can connect to IM again ("available" instead of "can't connect to IM") ...

HellSlyne

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm not connected to Facebook.

I'm using my primary alias. I haven't heard about aliases in outlook until yesterday.

I have whatsapp, im+ and Skype. I'll try uninstalling them and report back

HellSlyne

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Uninstalling apps worked. It looks like Whatsapp was the culprit. I deactivated and uninstalled Skype, IM+, hike & Viber one by one and finally the messenger started working after uninstalling Whatsapp

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Uninstalling apps worked. It looks like Whatsapp was the culprit. I deactivated and uninstalled Skype, IM+, hike & Viber one by one and finally the messenger started working after uninstalling Whatsapp

In my case, just Skype was enough (sometimes just to log out is enough, but sometimes have to uninstall it)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3