What about Speech in WP 8.1 ?

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I have one doubt that is there still speech (launched by holding windows button) in WP8.1 besides Cortana? or will it be removed?
And if it is removed then what about local commands like:
-call someone
-text someone
-UC Browser Downloads
-Nokia MixRadio Play Me
-Note Something
-Open some app or game,... etc.
These commands are available even when phone is not connected to internet. But I think that Cortana is some what Siri like, and it says "Siri is not available" when not connected to internet. So if Cortana does need internet to work, I fear that we will be losing local voice command ability in WP 8.1.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
8.1 retains speech (tellme ) from previous version. Cortana does require internet connection and it is launched by holding down the search button where as speech is by holding down the windows button.

distilledoreo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
On the Windows Phone 8.1 emulator you can disable Cortana and you can use the TellMe (speech) service instead. If the phone is in airplane mode you can still use the basic commands, like the ones you mentioned, with Cortana or otherwise.

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
On the emulator as well - a tap of the search button will bring up Cortana, whereas a long press will bring up the standard TellMe speech service

microhaxo#WP

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
The real question is, does tellme have improved speech recognition much like cortana?

I use hands free text messaging in my car constantly. Would be nice to have improved performance in this area.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
On the emulator as well - a tap of the search button will bring up Cortana, whereas a long press will bring up the standard TellMe speech service

That's not true. A long press in the emulator brings up the voice recognition part of Cortana and a short press brings up the page where you can use Cortana text entry (or press the microphone button next to it.

8.1 retains speech (tellme ) from previous version. Cortana does require internet connection and it is launched by holding down the search button where as speech is by holding down the windows button.

Also not true. Holding down the Windows button no longer does anything, at least in the emulator.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That's not true. A long press in the emulator brings up the voice recognition part of Cortana and a short press brings up the page where you can use Cortana text entry (or press the microphone button next to it.

Also not true. Holding down the Windows button no longer does anything, at least in the emulator.

This.
TellMe is replaced by Cortana. If you have Cortana you won't have TellMe. Those who don't have Cortana will live as normal as far as speech goes. It is already improved in the back end and recognises English with or without accent extremely easily.

KK SARMA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
This.
TellMe is replaced by Cortana. If you have Cortana you won't have TellMe. Those who don't have Cortana will live as normal as far as speech goes. It is already improved in the back end and recognises English with or without accent extremely easily.

Then what about local commands? when not connected to internet, do local commands work in cortana?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes