Is "Quiet Hours" a Misnomer?

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
When I installed the dev. Preview of wp8.1 today I was super exited about the Quiet hours feature. Theoretically, periods of time where the phone was quiet. Not that it was kinda quiet or quiet only if you didn't accidentally schedule an alarm or calendar reminder but 100%, unequivocally, won't get you in trouble during a business presentation quiet. I started adding calendar events left and right so it would take care of silencing my phone automatically. Now I haven't noticed anything yet except that when I'm in "Quiet Hours" mode, my ringer is still at 5, my music volume still at15, and vibrate is still on. That worries me because it suggests my phone is not actually quieted/silenced (silenced being defined simply as my never being able to hear my phone). Is something wrong with my phone or am I simply not understanding what's going on here?

Thanks

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't, I got texts and they just come in.

I have another dilemma. I want my phone silent in school for everyone, but still have an inner circle for night times. Can't be done.

rcazador

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I admit that it needs some work. But this is the preview version, bound to be optimised further. There's also the GDR set for later this year. Let's not forget that while Android has several apps to do this this -many being buggy- even the feature rich android lacks this as an inbuilt feature.
If anything most of the changes in 8.1 were inspired by user feedback. So we can hope to see more germane improvements especially in quite hours since it's a part of Cortana who is still in beta

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that this did not silence your phone. Cortana is simply supposed to handle all incoming communications. If you forget to pause & silence that inappropriate video, its on you

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Ah, good catch. I didn't think about quiet hours being part of the Beta Cortana. Hopefully we will see many improvements I Cortana without having to wait for GDRs.

valeriolucciola

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of getting sucked into an unplanned meeting, turning quiet hours on, and then accidentally getting a now unwelcome calendar reminder.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking more along the lines of getting sucked into an unplanned meeting, turning quiet hours on, and then accidentally getting a now unwelcome calendar reminder.

Put quiet hours under quick launch, that way instead of muting everyone, people still could get through if they were in your inner circle, since it is an impromptu meeting.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta