Possible battery life solution and new bug

hardlyworkinggg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am currently using the L1520 and, like many of you, have found the battery life drain very irritating. A look into the battery sense apps provided no leads on where the possible battery drain could be. I hypothesised that it most likely could be one of the OS services that is draining it. The only difference in settings i found, between 8.0 and 8.1, was the the gmail download new email setting and the "based on my usage" selected. I am quite sure 8.0 did not have this. I switched it back to my previous setting, download every hour, and my battery life is back to normal. Some one please try this out and help to verify if it helps! I havent tried any of the other options. dont wanna ruin what i have now. :)

TL:DR. Try turning your gmail push settings from "based on my usage" to hourly.

edit: Ive realised that MS exchange accounts as well as outlook.com accounts also have this option. Change all just to be safe. :)

Another thing is that there is an irritating bug where, after you power off the screen by pressing the power button, the first message/alert that comes in will turn the screen back on but it won't turn off again. The temporary solution ive found is to press the power button again once the first message/alert arrives to turn off the screen. Subsequent messages/alerts will be like normal, ie. the screen will turn on for a very short while before turning off again. Its irritating for me cause i like to leave my phone on my desk at work, not in my pocket.

edit: ok. realised the problem was with a battery app i was using. the app was "battery" or something like that. Thanks to Talderon for showing that awesome app that I had to download it, thus solving my problem. :D

Last edited:

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Another thing is that there is an irritating bug where, after you power off the screen by pressing the power button, the first message/alert that comes in will turn the screen back on but it won't turn off again. The temporary solution ive found is to press the power button again once the first message/alert arrives to turn off the screen. Subsequent messages/alerts will be like normal, ie. the screen will turn on for a very short while before turning off again. Its irritating for me cause i like to leave my phone on my desk at work, not in my pocket.

I'm not seeing this with my Icon. Notification comes in and the phone turns off after a short period of time. Have you done a soft reset to see if that clears up the issue?

skynet1511

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
On my 925 the wifi doens't drain the battery so far. actually i have 49% of battery, the phone was charged 9 hours ago, this means that it used 51% in 9 hours = 5,6% of battery/hour, and i have to say that i used a lot the phone today, so i would say it is a normal battery usage.
Probably you have some extra app running in the background. On my side, I left on just the news, Skype, whatsapp and the forecast. I removed from running in the background all the rest.
In any case, with WP8 the battery lasts more.

hardlyworkinggg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not seeing this with my Icon. Notification comes in and the phone turns off after a short period of time. Have you done a soft reset to see if that clears up the issue?

yep. many, many times. :) i believe its either a L1520 specific bug or its MY L1520's specific bug. either way its irritating. Will do a hard reset over the weekend to see if that helps. It doesn't occur on my gf's HTC 8x as well.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It really is strange as I will leave my phone off the charger almost all day and when I take a look at power consumption, I see this:

Personal Daily Driver - Lumia 1520
wp_ss_20140416_0002.jpg

Now, to be fair, when I took this screenshot, the phone had only been left off the charger for around 2 hours.

I have the following on:

BT
WiFi
"As Items Arrive" on 3 email accounts including work

I'm going to see if I can mess with things some later and get a performance report and see. I will check on some of my other devices as well.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Talderon,

There's been a longstanding bug in WP8 and now 8.1 which simply eats the battery in the background randomly. If you are internal to Microsoft it would be great if you can escalate this and get some diagnosis. Battery Saver (which is the closest look at the OS we get as users) shows nothing and yet the phones physically get warm and the battery discharges quickly.

I've tried all sorts including switching everything on and off and not found anything like BT/NFC to affect the situation. I am on a 920, and I've even pondered as to whether its a hardware errata that no one wants to admit. If it isn't, it has to be an OS service or core issue.

You only have to look at the number of complaints about battery life to know that something is going on. The question is where.

hardlyworkinggg

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Talderon,

There's been a longstanding bug in WP8 and now 8.1 which simply eats the battery in the background randomly. If you are internal to Microsoft it would be great if you can escalate this and get some diagnosis. Battery Saver (which is the closest look at the OS we get as users) shows nothing and yet the phones physically get warm and the battery discharges quickly.

I've tried all sorts including switching everything on and off and not found anything like BT/NFC to affect the situation. I am on a 920, and I've even pondered as to whether its a hardware errata that no one wants to admit. If it isn't, it has to be an OS service or core issue.

You only have to look at the number of complaints about battery life to know that something is going on. The question is where.

hum. have you tried the email settings i suggested? im curious to know if it works cause it seems to work on the HTC 8X as well........

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
email settings + blocking background apps + disable location = doesn't work for me!!! Still draining fast !!

for some strange reason, using network Data consume less energy than Wi-Fi, turn off both of them use only 1% per 2 hour

my guess is Wi-Fi ping the distance/wireless strength lots of time in second, so it consume some battery here, i hope microsoft has an option to "display static Wi-Fi"

Rallicat

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
After checking, I found all my email accounts had been set to check 'automatically' - but this had default to 'as items arrive' following the 8.1 update - basically it had turned on push email for all my accounts, and as I had 6 email accounts (don't ask!) It just caned my battery!

I set all my accounts back to what they were before (every 30 minutes), and my battery life is dramatically improved!

--
Mark

drufranco

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I too was running into battery performance issues after upgrading to 8.1. After scouring these message boards for solutions for battery draining and Facebook notifications to work, I turned off and on everything (battery saver background options), soft reset, my emails were already set to maximum checks like 2 hours for gmail and 1 hour for exchange. Nothing seemed to work. I removed battery performance. I still had the same results. Reloaded BP since that is one of my favorite battery apps.
Finally I just turned off BATTERY SAVER and guess what, everything is working again. Even my notifications started working (coincidence or not)
This may not help everyone but it worked for me on my Verizon Nokia Lumia Icon.

Last edited:

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Talderon,

We have a TON if talks going on about this, but it REALLY is a hard one to diagnose. We have an internal app that we use for logging and data collection off the devices we test, but it's not available outside the company. HOWEVER, I am working on an app that will do similar collections and hope to get it out soon. Please note though, I am not a Dev by trade, so it'll take some time, but I have help. :D

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I too was running into battery performance issues after upgrading to 8.1. After scouring these message boards for solutions for battery draining and Facebook notifications to work, I turned off and on everything (battery saver background options), soft reset, my emails were already set to maximum checks like 2 hours for gmail and 1 hour for exchange. Nothing seemed to work. I removed battery performance. I still had the same results. Reloaded BP since that is one of my favorite battery apps.
Finally I just turned off BATTERY SAVER and guess what, everything is working again. Even my notifications started working (coincidence or not)
This may not help everyone but it worked for me on my Verizon Nokia Lumia Icon.

How did you turned off Battery Saver?

shielah

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920, i have nothing but battery saver and facebook running in the background...am changing my email settings...but have to charge my phone 2x day now, lost 30% in 2hrs and not playing on it. I have an eBay app, says it takes most my usage but it is off and not running, been off since last night. Shouldn't the batter saver reset the stats on usage after a charge??? Why would it still show eBay app with so much usage when its been off?? My battery should last more than 5-6 hrs...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3