Anyone having problems with recurring alarms?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Something strange I have noticed since upgrading to 8.1

My recurring alarms are not working. I can test the alarms by setting one up to go off in a few minute to a couple of hours, but alarms I have let to go off Monday-Friday at 6:20am and 8:00am have not gone off in the past 2 days now.

I thought MAYBE it was because these were set before updating so something may be didn't go right, but deleting them and recreating them provides no difference.

Beyond that, everything else seems to be fine.

index911

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Same issue on my phone. It doesn't seem to be a settings issue, as if I restart the phone after the missed alarms will suddenly kick in all at once. Then it will work for a few days, then suddenly stop again.

I'm on a 1520, the alarms are scheduled for weekdays only.

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same issue on my 1520. The first couple of times it happened I ended up late for work :(
As was mentioned above, alarms set for a few minutes in the future work fine though.
Really hope there is a fix on the way.

CowardlyLions

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been having the same problem with my 8xt. I almost ended up late for work.

Interestingly enough, they'll sometime randomly go off hours later.

For now I'm just using my old iPhone as an alarm.

index911

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Just to try and narrow down the cause, are we all setting our alarms as Mon - Fri? Or is anyone having this problem in other scenarios?

Also similar to the OP mine are at 4 different times between 6 and 7 am.

index911

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't have cortana, never mind quiet hours. Also this wouldn't explain how it can work for a full week, then another week have issues

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My alarm failed to go off again this morning but did after I restarted the phone! I have also noticed that I receive notifications correctly after a restart but as the day progresses they just stop coming. For example I have two email accounts set to check every two hours however after one successful check they just stop. I'm beginning to think that the failure of notifications after a while and the complete failure of my alarm to ring are connected.
Has anyone found a solution that works?

justin rodgers

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Same issues here with 8.1 on my L920. (If you want the short version - I think it's the quite hours integration with Cortana. Turn her off and all is good)

I had about 7 different alarms set prior to the upgrade. The two main recurring alarms: Weekly for work set at 4:01am, weekends set for 6:30am. All alarms were programmed prior to the upgrade and remained in the phone memory when I completed the Upgrade to 8.1.

After the 8.1 update I set up Cortana with and quite hours. Checked my Alarms (all looked good) and went to bed. Here's the history (and where the fun began). Throughout this process I always made sure all of my separate volume levels were set to 5 since it's not very clear which volume controls alarms.
(suggestion: Alarms should have an "In-App" volume level that is not linked to any other volume control)

1. I set up Quite hours from 10pm to 5:30am.
results: No alarms, no notifications, etc. during the set quite hours. No Alarms during and after quite hours turned off.

2. I then set up Quite hours from 10pm to 4am (thinking there was a minute between quite hours turning off and my alarm coming on)
results: No Alarms, But Notifications work as intended. No Alarms during and after quite hours turned off.

3. I then deleted all Alarms and turned off quite hours, (standard power on/off of phone). Then set up quite hours for 10am - 3:45am. then set up only my two reoccurring alarms for 4:01am weekly and weekend 6:30am
Results: alarm work first night of two (did not turn off phone between 1&2 night). but notifications worked as intended after quite hours turned off, etc.

4. I then deleted all Alarms and turned off quite hours, (and completed a Hard reset (Vol- / power). Reset my two reoccurring alarms for 4:01am weekly and weekend 6:30am and did not turn on quite hours.
Results: alarm work first night of two (did not turn off phone between 1&2 night). Received Notifications all night as anticipated.

5. I then deleted all Alarms and turned Cortana completely, (and completed a Hard reset (Vol- / power). Reset my two reoccurring alarms for 4:01am weekly and weekend 6:30am and did not turn on quite hours (Not that you can. Cortana must be turned ON to use quite hours, which is the dumbest line of code/programming ever written).
Results: Alarms work over multiple nights. Including powering the phone off/on and not touching alarm settings at all.

Sorry Cortana I guess you really are Beta and Waking up for work is more important – Bye bye,off you go.

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I turned off Cortana by setting my phone back to the UK region and language and so far my notifications have been working great. I guess the real test will be whether my alarm goes off or not though.
Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Well my alarm failed to go off again this morning :( So I have downloaded a 3rd party alarm app, 6.27 am, and will keep my fingers crossed that it works.
Hopefully the official release of 8.1 and the Cyan update will fix the problems with the alarms and notifications.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes