04-21-2014 11:43 PM
82 1234
tools
    Didnt get it. Whats the problem on hearing a static noise? I mean how can this is be a bad thing overall?
    (heard nothing on my L720 btw)
    04-20-2014 04:43 PM
    Didnt get it. Whats the problem on hearing a static noise? I mean how can this is be a bad thing overall?
    (heard nothing on my L720 btw)
    Your phone must be a rare breed. Is your volume on max? Quiet environment?
    04-20-2014 04:54 PM
    Your phone must be a rare breed. Is your volume on max? Quiet environment?
    Will try again later. Whats the bad on having this noise anyway? How does it can affect my phone?
    04-20-2014 04:59 PM
    It's the same when you play games (just mute the sounds ingame). Nothing new...but very cheap yes. You can also hear it when you get a msg/call!

- Tapatalk -
    04-20-2014 05:24 PM
    I hear a sound but so what? Cell phones are nothing more than glorified walkie-talkies anyway. It is how signals are converted to sound, like a walkie-talkie. With AT&T, if you are on a land line and put your cell phone too close to the speaker, ANY cell phone on AT&T that is, you'll hear a sound in your handset too. I think this much ado about nothing much. Keep it moving guys. Nothing to see here.
    04-20-2014 07:11 PM
    Will try again later. Whats the bad on having this noise anyway? How does it can affect my phone?
    Eats your battery, maybe not much but still

928 has it also
    04-20-2014 07:36 PM
    I hear a sound but so what? Cell phones are nothing more than glorified walkie-talkies anyway. It is how signals are converted to sound, like a walkie-talkie. With AT&T, if you are on a land line and put your cell phone too close to the speaker, ANY cell phone on AT&T that is, you'll hear a sound in your handset too. I think this much ado about nothing much. Keep it moving guys. Nothing to see here.
    I hope you're joking. No other mobile operating system has this problem so why must we just 'hack it'? Haven't we ' hacked' enough already (until 8.1 update anyway)? And this has nothing to do with the cellphone being close to a landline or speaker.
    04-20-2014 10:59 PM
    I can hear this while using the WPCentral app as well. Even while I am typing this. So this is a problem with the phone or OS. Not the app.
    04-20-2014 11:23 PM
    I have it only in WhatsApp. Lumia 920 8.1
    04-20-2014 11:28 PM
    i had this problem in windows phone 8 not specially for what's app , but i have not reported this until now . i have the same problem right now with whatsapp .
    04-20-2014 11:55 PM

What? I never had a phone with that problem. It just sounds CHEAP! And it has nothing to do with radiation. Its another sound...

- Tapatalk -
    04-21-2014 03:20 AM
    I too can only reproduce this in WhatsApp. It's a little concerning that it's happening with other apps on a whole variety of phones. MSFT better be listening.
    04-21-2014 04:18 AM
    I get this every now and again on my Lumia 820 on FB Messenger. It's a very audible static noise. I don't use whatsApp so I couldn't comment on that.
    04-21-2014 04:28 AM
    Wow I get it in facebook messenger too!
    04-21-2014 04:31 AM
    Also, has any one noticed sound lag or slow tearing sound in games? I was playing Fifa14 the other day and the game started to stutter and the sound lagged and started going really slowly. It sounds like when you're emulating a game and it slows down. Never experienced this before.
    04-21-2014 04:35 AM
    My L920 makes this sound since I got it with the Amber update.
    04-21-2014 04:35 AM
    I get this every now and again on my Lumia 820 on FB Messenger. It's a very audible static noise. I don't use whatsApp so I couldn't comment on that.
    WeChat and Skype are clean, I tested those. What does the hiss exactly mean? Does WhatsApp produce sound? Or is it some other part making the sound through the speakers? Or: is it because it still makes use of the music hack to do background tasks. That would mean that WeChat and Skype do not use the music hack, ergo, they are better apps. Moreover, why does WhatsApp use SO much energy compared to other apps?
    christopherbarran likes this.
    04-21-2014 04:37 AM
    It also happens in Nokia camera app but not the inbuilt camera app
    04-21-2014 04:42 AM
    I think this is a very important issue, WhatsApp supposedly dropped using audio API for background tasks. This is something else. Replicating in my 820. I just have whatsapp as my messaging app. Do any other messaging apps behave this way? I'm curious.
    04-21-2014 04:48 AM
    I think this is a very important issue, WhatsApp supposedly dropped using audio API for background tasks. This is something else. Replicating in my 820. I just have whatsapp as my messaging app. Do any other messaging apps behave this way? I'm curious.
    FB Messenger has the same problem. It's not a messaging app as the way whatsApp is, but it's still a messenger of sorts. I'll test a few more apps. Seems to be more apparent on 820's and 920's.
    04-21-2014 04:56 AM
    Looks like if an app has access to some video/music/media api, the sound module gets activated and plays that hiss. You could also play a system sound (eg sms tone) and listen carefully: At the end when the tone fades out, you can hear that hiss too!

- Tapatalk -
    04-21-2014 04:58 AM
    Looks like if an app has access to some video/music/media api, the sound module gets activated and plays that hiss. You could also play a system sound (eg sms tone) and listen carefully: At the end when the tone fades out, you can hear that hiss too!

- Tapatalk -
    Makes sense, but doesn't explain why the inbuilt camera app doesn't make this sound, but nokia camera app does... I can't believe this isn't a bigger deal (sure it's not noticeable), but its definitely a significant problem that we shouldn't have to just accept... where are the articles about this to raise awareness!?!?
    04-21-2014 05:02 AM
    Makes sense, but doesn't explain why the inbuilt camera app doesn't make this sound, but nokia camera app does... I can't believe this isn't a bigger deal (sure it's not noticeable), but its definitely a significant problem that we shouldn't have to just accept... where are the articles about this to raise awareness!?!?
    well the MS camera is built into the system. The Nokia Cam is an extra app...maybe something like that...
    04-21-2014 05:05 AM

- Tapatalk -
    You hear it after typing with the keyboard too. Once the keyboard 'clicks' have stopped playing, you can hear the hiss for a little bit. Seems as if the sound module is being activated for too long instead of shutting off after a sounds stopped.
    04-21-2014 05:05 AM
    Not really, as Skype and WeChat are silent. They do have access to a sound API when giving notifications/ in a call/ in-app sounds.
    04-21-2014 05:06 AM
82 1234