Google Account won't stop syncing

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the 8.1 preview and everything seems to be working great!

However, I guess I still had my old Google account listed in my accounts. When I go under settings -> email & accounts, this google account is grayed out and shows as syncing. It won't let me stop it or delete the account.

Any ideas?

Bill Cooper2

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem with wp8.1, my google account in email+accounts is stuck syncing and is grayed out. Putting in airplane mode doesn't help. Still can't stop, edit or delete the account. Based on some other threads I tried deleting skype, but no help. Reset and soft reset doesn't help. Backup won't complete, I think this may be why. Since I can't get a backup to complete I'm dreading the hard reset, I'll have to rebuild everything from scratch. There has to be another solution. Help...

GGN8423

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
In Settings, go to WiFi and turn it off. Go to cellular + SIM and turn off the Data connection. That will stop the synch process. You can then go to email+accounts and you will find that the errant google account is no longer greyed out. Touch and hold the account and you will get an option to delete it. Go ahead and delete it. Don't be surprised if the mail tile disappears. It will if the google account was the only account set up for email.

Renable the cellular Data connection and/or Wifi. The Mail tile will come back when you have created another email account.

cmorg

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Your tip about the captcha was awesome. I did, however, have to try something creative. I tried deleting the acct like you'd mentioned but when I would select Emails & Accounts, it wouldn't open...it would start to load then return me to the main screen no matter how many times I tried. So, I left the WiFi settings off, powered off then back on... THEN I could access Email & Accounts. I deleted it, re added it, did the captcha thing like you mentioned and now things are back to running smoothly. Thank you!!! You don't by any chance know why I can't reply to a Gmail when in my internet browser would you? There is nowhere for me to type. Just thought I'd try asking.

Jeremy Mumford

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I too have this problem.
I have a windows phone running 8.1 update.

I have the same issue with the Google Account greyed out and permanently syncing. I have tried the advice, close WiFI, close the data connection, switch the phone of, all the no effect.

I really need to delete this account but would prefer to avoid a reset if at all possible !!

Any help you can give would be brilliant

Sandra Milo

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
"I have the same issue with the Google Account greyed out and permanently syncing. I have tried the advice, close WiFI, close the data connection, switch the phone of, all the no effect. I really need to delete this account but would prefer to avoid a reset if at all possible !!"

Same. I successfully added a different Google account, and all is fine, but I cannot delete the existing one.

Jeremy Mumford

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I have this same issue.
I have tried everything listed in this thread with no luck.
I have a Nokia 635 running 8.1.
I have a gmail account which works fine and I also have a google email account the is greyed out.
I have tried so many time to delete this google account, can anyone help ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital