Vote For Picture Password

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
3 votes. I don't understand Microsoft. seriously, how could this be missed out :S

I would give this more votes if I can, I think best thing is that WP central covers this article to get the traction needed.

Mostafa Saleh

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand Microsoft. seriously, how could this be missed out :S

I would give this more votes if I can.

agree with you , this is amazing feature must be built in OS

a lot of people talk about Rudy Hun lock screen I saw it in build conference but I don't know if it only visual effect or security lock ?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I actually think that a gesture password would be less secure than the current lock screen. I very often see Android phones with a really obvious finger track on the screen showing exactly what the unlock gesture is. If you follow the track forwards or backwards, you have unlocked the phone...

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That's the one thing I don't like about picture password on windows 8, is that it shows what motions you did on the screen. That needs to be disabled, so that people have no idea. That way I could fake some motions and it would be hard for someone to figure it out.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not just the feedback on the screen, it's the smears your finger makes on the screen. Most people aren't careful in cleaning their screens after they've unlocked it.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It's not just the feedback on the screen, it's the smears your finger makes on the screen. Most people aren't careful in cleaning their screens after they've unlocked it.

After you unlock your phone, you do a lot more touching of the screen. That would only happen if all you ever did was unlock your screen then lock it again. And obviously this would just be another option. Paranoid people can use something else. I would rather switch between the two depending on where I was.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you talk about C.S.I drama

No. That's not what I meant. A picture password involves the user drawing shapes on their phone's screen to unlock the phone. Unless your screen is very clean and your finger is very dry, you will certainly leave very visible smears on the screen. I see it all the time on Android phones.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem with that smear argument is this. Android has a swipe thing, it's one swift swipe. so you can either trace it forwards or backwards till you get it correct. A picture password is 3 different gestures (Circle something, draw a line or tap). You may be able to possibly see the circle or line, but a tap would be no different than what we have now. So if I did a tap, circle, tap, you'd maybe able to see my circle on the screen, it would be a lot harder to see the taps. On top of that you wouldn't know the order. And maybe to make it more secure, they could let you setup 2-3 different picture passwords. That way every 2-3 times you log in, you're presenting and swiping different parts of the screen. Anyway, at the end of the day even if you think it's not a secure, it's a choice. If they add this, you can chose not to use it, but many of us will want it. Also just to note, if they add picture password, it would work like your PC where you would need to put in a real password before changing anything major or purchasing something.

Mostafa Saleh

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
A picture password is 3 different gestures (Circle something, draw a line or tap). You may be able to possibly see the circle or line, but a tap would be no different than what we have now. So if I did a tap, circle, tap, you'd maybe able to see my circle on the screen, it would be a lot harder to see the taps. On top of that you wouldn't know the order.

agree ... this will be hard to notice the point and the length of the line

Devendra Mathanker

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
hey guys, do u know u can vote any feature on windowsphoneuservoice.com at everyday, means if u voted today and come back tommorrow then u can vote for that feature u had voted. so please vote this feature everyday so that it becomes hot idea.............

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes