Background everywhere

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To explain for those people who don't trust the link - people want to be able to put a picture background on the app list itself, and any screen where there's typically a black/white background (like the list of settings)

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think it looks terrible. Maybe some will like it. I know that choice is a good thing but idk how far MS should allow customization.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be cool as long as the way the start screen in 8.1 doesn't change, I already like it.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520, w/AT&T using Tapatalk

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Personally, I think it looks terrible. Maybe some will like it. I know that choice is a good thing but idk how far MS should allow customization.
Keeping our assumptions/interests aside, it would be good if there is a option with customization. Interested one will on it, others will off it :)

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Keeping our assumptions/interests aside, it would be good if there is a option with customization. Interested one will on it, others will off it :)
I agree but I think MS is just getting closer to Android with this type of move. Stability is a reason ppl come to WP and if that is sacrificed due to customization then I don't want it. Also, it can make things look cluttered and messy.
Idk ill be honest im personally a little nnervous with the direction MS MIGHT be heading with their design.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's not real. Someone has made up the screen captures to indicate what they feel that they want.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree but I think MS is just getting closer to Android with this type of move. Stability is a reason ppl come to WP and if that is sacrificed due to customization then I don't want it. Also, it can make things look cluttered and messy.
Idk ill be honest im personally a little nnervous with the direction MS MIGHT be heading with their design.

You don't HAVE to do any of the customizations. Most WP devices come with the default Black theme with Cyan color and all tiles set to default "medium" size. I had 8.1 on a 520 and it worked great with all kinds of wallpapers and different tiles, etc. My phone was unique and I liked that. At the end of the day, it's Microsoft's prerogative to sell phones and increase market share. If sales increase because of these changes, then it's a good thing. If the UI remains stagnant and market share falls, say hello to webOS 2.0.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
What about if they did it the same as the photos app on 8.0, that would be okay because you could chose to have a solid colour instead of a photo.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You don't HAVE to do any of the customizations. Most WP devices come with the default Black theme with Cyan color and all tiles set to default "medium" size. I had 8.1 on a 520 and it worked great with all kinds of wallpapers and different tiles, etc. My phone was unique and I liked that. At the end of the day, it's Microsoft's prerogative to sell phones and increase market share. If sales increase because of these changes, then it's a good thing. If the UI remains stagnant and market share falls, say hello to webOS 2.0.
it is there prerogative but your assuming it will increase their market share. They have a small amount of the market because they were late, lack apps, and are behind in features (argumentative).
Not trying to get into an argument I just don't feel like this is a good look. IMHO their unique look is what drew me in in the first place.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
it is there prerogative but your assuming it will increase their market share. They have a small amount of the market because they were late, lack apps, and are behind in features (argumentative).
Not trying to get into an argument I just don't feel like this is a good look. IMHO their unique look is what drew me in in the first place.

Of course they're trying to increase share, MS is not a 501C. If their data suggests that this is a feature new users would like to see, it will be an option. Notice I said OPTION, which means if you don't like it - don't use it. As I mentioned in my previous post, the default setting is the same as it has been since day 1. I think it's nice to have that option.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
It looks pretty neat, however if someone chooses a bad background then some of the thing might be unreadable, which is why MS didn't do that

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It would appeal to some but not others, I'm one of the latter and prefer to keep a simple, minimal look. Although if you saw my desktop (thank goodness for windows blinds) or my desk you would think differently lol.:grin:

Jordan Laureano1

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I think it will be more comfortable to users if the background will be optional, some people don't use it but others who really want to personalize their cell phones can change the background and customize it according to their own taste and personality.. Some prefer to stick to their traditional background like i do.. I use wallpaper to customize my cellphone . More power to windows phone central.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
More options and customization are always welcome. So I wouldn't mind it. And I think I could probably find some images that would actually work well as backgrounds (unlike the horrible one used in the example).

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Interesting... I'm getting that Android taste in my mouth again... not sure I would like that on WP's platform.... :crying:

~ScottGeek.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon