How many of you like the official file manager.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
please forgive my ignorance but simply why will it not access these files? again i am new and am only asking.

Security.

I know that is not really a useful explanation by itself. Unfortunately, any explanation will be vast and complicated. Not something that is easily discussed on a consumer forum. Do consider however, that security is just as much about securing a device from users themselves, prying family members, and even ignorant developers... statistically, there is nothing more dangerous to smartphone data than the smartphone's user or family members. Next come ignorant developers and lastly, malicious developers and hackers. The last category just gets the most media attention.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm mostly using it to keep my photos organized. Being able to move files to different folders without having to connect to a tablet or PC is quite convenient.
And being able to rename those photo files right on the phone is very helpful.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well it's decent and gets the job done, at least now with 8.1 we can manage downloads natively. The other plus side is that its free, paying for apps or games is a bone of contention for some. Microsoft really need to roll out carrier billing to more markets and when that happens hopefully we will see a steady decline of the useless 1* reviews saying the app or game is not free. Until then we will be plagued with these silly reviews lol...

In terms of updates, the third party file managers are more likely to be more updated frequently. Right now I am using pocket explorer and it is my preferred file manager at present.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd like it better if it showed me what is in other on my phone. Yes I know about hard reset to reclaim the space but I'd rather not do that.

gkrew

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've used pretty much every single available file manager app so far. Folders beta was my personal choice, but MS's Files is imho the best one out there. Compared to every other app it's blazing fast, with a very clean design. The only two things I'm currently missing from it is the ability to extract ZIP archives and swiping through pictures.

I thought WP8.1 can open zip files.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I thought WP8.1 can open zip files.

It can. But it doesn't offer a way to extract all the files simultaneously to a user defined destination. All you can do is tap each single file and choose "save". Some file explorers offer the ability to truly extract a zip archive like you're used to in Windows.

El Bori

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Every single app runs in a so called sandbox, which basically means that whatever data this app may store on your device is only accessible for this specific app and not exposed to others. Microsoft may have the tools and possibilities to bypass this restriction with their own apps, but they'd certainly not make use of it, as it means a security risk. Not to mention that users could easily destroy apps or even parts of the OS, if they had a chance to access the entire file system.
I'm with a5cent here, there are definitely ways for devs to work around these limitations, for example by storing documents like PDF not in the isolated storage (sandbox) of their app, but one that's accessible from outside. But this is up to app devs, not Microsoft.

thank you i understand...

El Bori

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Security.

I know that is not really a useful explanation by itself. Unfortunately, any explanation will be vast and complicated. Not something that is easily discussed on a consumer forum. Do consider however, that security is just as much about securing a device from users themselves, prying family members, and even ignorant developers... statistically, there is nothing more dangerous to smartphone data than the smartphone's user or family members. Next come ignorant developers and lastly, malicious developers and hackers. The last category just gets the most media attention.

thank you for that answer i understand now, makes me like the phone and by extension the OS more...

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't think of a time I've ever needed to manage files on a phone. What do people use it for?

I never thought I would need one, but I use File Manager app to copy .DNG files to SkyDrive/Box. The DNG files do not automatically get backed up to SkyDrive, in most cases that is not a problem. However, there are times I want to make these available to someone, or just have backed up. Other times I have duplicate music files and would like to delete one. I would like to delete the lowest quality. Before I would have to listen to each song and determine which was better, now on with a file manager I can check out file sizes.

​I was never one to think we needed a file manager, but have definitely used them, since they have become available. There are other things that I have used it for.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Same as a lot, i dont use a File Manager on my phone but downloaded it and it works nicely...but dont think ill ever use it.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Official one definitely. Handles files more fluidly and I can manage them without hooking up to laptop. I use my phone as my large media downloading device since my Data is so much faster than my WIFI and Unlimited (< For those who see no reason for a file manager). Also the ability to create New Folders is a must as I have Themes I am now able to manage better (< App coming soon and people will see why this is necessary).

Do I need to manage files all day every day like my W8 machine, No. Are there times when it is a useful option, Yes it is.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Guys did u find when using official file manger in landscape mode there is lag in rotation....Anyone experienced this.....?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok I do have a purpose for the file manager. I've got a 1020, so I can finally see the two file types and compare pictures...neat.

Does anyone know what free apps I can use to view the 41mb file?

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a somewhat large library of video files on my SD card, and going through Files to watch them has proven much faster than waiting for the Xbox Video app to sign in every dang time. I've actually pinned it to my start screen where Video used to live! LOL

Also, it's much faster and more reliable for deleting unwanted music than using the Xbox Music app.

dag512

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
It seems microsoft has repeated history and built this phone platform slap dash and back to front,
One file browser should have been built first and all third parties shareing
I have 10,000 videos and need to find any one of them within 30 secs, which is impossible if they were only in one folder

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon