My little 8.1 tweaks.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Here are some small things that I wish Microsoft would address.

1. The cursor.
Why oh why is it so damn hard to select text in 8.1 vs 8? The original system of having the cursor above your finger was incredibly intuitive. At least give us the option of having the old way back.

2. Moar Notifications.
Please put install notifications from apps that are being installed in the background (not updated) in the action center. Also, perhaps you should consider moving the music controls from their own separate menu to the drawer. In addition, the dpi is a bit funky with the drawer, meaning I feel like it could fit more info, but their is a big ugly gap before the first notification.

3. Keyboard theme.
I would appreciate the ability to change the theme of the keyboard (dark/light) independently of the system theme. For example, I like the light themed keyboard, but the white background on the start screen is horrid.

4. Stretch goal.
Custom themes like teal on orange instead of teal on black or blue on black. It would be cool and really colorful.

Overall I have loved my WP 8.1 experience. Anyone else share any of my sentiments?

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you about the cursor. Apparently a lot of people found the cursor hanging above where you tap, as a very confusing thing. I, for one, thought it was brilliant. Inserting the cursor is more of a task now, as I cannot control the position of the cursor if my finger covers the text. Maybe people wanted ut the way it is now, because that's how it may be on other platforms... I'm not sure.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
1. got used to the NU cursor, it takes some time
2. not sure about ' apps being installed in the background ...' HOW ? w/o your knowledge ?
I believe the Action centre is a work in progress
3 & 4 - hmmmm

In the Windows Phone marketplace, there is a place for suggestions, with the ability of users to vote for them - perhaps you can post these there & see what type of response you get.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well as to clarify #2, lets say I start an install in the store of Instagram. Then I exit the store app.

I wish I would get a little notification when instagram actually gets installed in the notification center.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely hate the new cursor, there are times, in certain scenarios, where its extremely difficult to grab the cursor...

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I love the new cursor.. Once you learn how to use it, it'll hit you... and you realize it's way better than it used to be.

wpfanboy17

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Well as to clarify #2, lets say I start an install in the store of Instagram. Then I exit the store app.

I wish I would get a little notification when instagram actually gets installed in the notification center.

Not sure if I understand this correctly, but you can turn on notifications for app store updates.

Cage Ata

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if I understand this correctly, but you can turn on notifications for app store updates.

But on android you receive a notification that your app was installed the very first time you had downloaded such app. I don't care for this feature but each to their own :)

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

I get what you mean but if you have just installed an app why would you need a notification for when it was finished installing, it is going to be just seconds after you tap install.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I get what you mean but if you have just installed an app why would you need a notification for when it was finished installing, it is going to be just seconds after you tap install.

sometimes if you are not on wifi you get a notice that the update will install when you reconnect with wifi. Then the app or update installs and you get a notification that says store and x number of apps were updated or installed and you go to history and see what's updated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon