Upgrading to Lumia Cyan from WP8.1 DevPre on Lumia Black

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
So, here's question that I got.

Microsoft/Nokia wants users running Developer Preview to revert back to WP8 by flashing the phone using Nokia Recovery Tool so that when Lumia Cyan is released, the upgrade can be done smoothly, right?

Now, Lumia Cyan is a firmware update and the update package also contains the WP8.1. So after Cyan is released, if I flash my device using Nokia Recovery Tool, won't that automatically download (from the Nokia servers) and install Lumia Cyan on my phone? In that way, I do not have to stay without the WP8.1 features.

I can manually download the apps and install them on my phone as needed afterwards, or sync back everything. I just really do not want to go back to WP8. :cry:

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It will reinstall whatever is the "most current commercial release" at the time. Which at present, is Black+8.0 GDR3. When Cyan is released for your phone, that will be then be the most current commercial release.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Where did you hear that Microsoft wants users to revert back to WP8 and Lumia Black before installing Cyan?

I thought you just wait for the official Cyan update from your carrier and the rest is automatic.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Where did you hear that Microsoft wants users to revert back to WP8 and Lumia Black before installing Cyan?

I thought you just wait for the official Cyan update from your carrier and the rest is automatic.

Microsoft: Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developer users should return to normal software before Lumia Cyan | Windows Phone Central

Because of the Bitlocker problem, they have blocked all devices running 8.1 Preview from updating to Cyan, regardless of if you were affected or not:

"We are currently investigating the issue. We have paused delivery of the update to customers using the Preview for Developers, and will resume once a fix is in place. Customers whose phones have been affected should use the Nokia Software Recovery Tool to return your Lumia to a normal commercial software state before downloading the Lumia Cyan update."

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
So, once Cyan is released on my phone, I can just get that using Nokia's flashing utility, right? Isn't that easier that two downloads?! One for reverting back, another for upgrading. I can just get the Cyan directly when it is released. Why didn't Nokia just say that?!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Are you using your phone on an exchange server at your company which is using bitlocker? If not then you can stay on 8.1 DP and when the CYAN update for your Nokia device is available through your carrier or directly from Nokia/Microsoft it should install just fine.

schmidtis

May 17, 2014
Visit site
So, once Cyan is released on my phone, I can just get that using Nokia's flashing utility, right? Isn't that easier that two downloads?! One for reverting back, another for upgrading. I can just get the Cyan directly when it is released. Why didn't Nokia just say that?!

Exactly this is what I'm asking me. Why should we first 'reset' Phone to an old Version? Instead of flashing the new cyan Version directly!

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Because updating to Cyan has been blocked for all devices running Preview until MS sort the issue out, regardless of if you were affected or not, because it's easier to block all of them from updating than going through the PITA of fishing through all devices to see which are set for corporate use.

You can either wait patiently until the issue is resolved and the block is removed for Preview devices, or downgrade back to 8.0 in order to get Cyan.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's probably best to wait until you get confirmation that WP8.1 is rolling out for your carrier/handset/region before forcing the downgrade to 8.0. To be honest, the downgrade takes time and is a bit of a pain. So my advice is not to downgrade unless you're fairly certain you'll have 8.1 immediately available to you.

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Ive had a major issue here after down grading
Initially many apps were on my sd card. After down grading and then upgrading my 1520 to the Cyan update all the apps that were initially on the SD card cannot be accessed any more. that means all my app data is gone. The phone says i need to delete the previous app data as it is from a different phone and need to re install the apps

Did anyone else experience the same thing

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
So the blurb in the Preview for Developers app is not true?

"Once you've taken an early update, you cannot revert to a prior state."

I'm concerned about apps that will be broken because they're already optimized for 8.1...

And open a vein... I've got 3 920s to take through this process.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Are you using your phone on an exchange server at your company which is using bitlocker? If not then you can stay on 8.1 DP and when the CYAN update for your Nokia device is available through your carrier or directly from Nokia/Microsoft it should install just fine.
No it will not. Please read the press release from Microsoft. They are blocking installation of cyan on all devices running DP.

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

I guess that's because the default way to upgrade is over-the-air. So, we have to wait until they fix it, or if we are really impatient (which we are) or, if we are stuck with the bitlocker issue, this is the quick workaround.

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I guess that's because the default way to upgrade is over-the-air. So, we have to wait until they fix it, or if we are really impatient (which we are) or, if we are stuck with the bitlocker issue, this is the quick workaround.

But in this way, I will lose all app data? Does 8.1 back up app data? Some of the apps use a Microsoft account to keep things in sync. But, I guess not all app data from the apps are backed up, right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo