Wp 8.1 File Manager

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wp8.1

Windows Phone is based on security and reduced risk to user. It's very similar to the Apple model. That's why we have sandboxed apps. That's why there's no file manager and why there won't be a file manager like Android or like a Windows OS. Any file manager will be watered down and will probably only access limited folders, like the ones we can access via USB cable.

At least they should allow Microsoft Word to read subfolders that I created in a 'document' folder which contains other files such as pdf, xls, doc etc. Microsoft Word cannot read files that stored in subfolder.

At least allow us to create album in photo gallery and move photos to another location without using a computer.

I think this is what people meant by a file manager. It's not about accessing the root of the system files. It's about managing your documents, photos, videos etc systematically and wp still lack of this file management. I'm surprised that they didn't mention about this in wp 8.1 leaks.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

At least they should allow Microsoft Word to read subfolders that I created in a 'document' folder which contains other files such as pdf, xls, doc etc. Microsoft Word cannot read files that stored in subfolder.

At least allow us to create album in photo gallery and move photos to another location without using a computer.

I think this is what people meant by a file manager. It's not about accessing the root of the system files. It's about managing your documents, photos, videos etc systematically and wp still lack of this file management. I'm surprised that they didn't mention about this in wp 8.1 leaks.

Yes, finally, here is someone who has actually understood what many of us need. I'm not able to figure out what problem does MS have with that? We don't know if this feature is coming but has not yet come or MS will once again fail to act according to our expectations.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
another thread on this, really?!

My thoughts exactly. I think people get so up tight about this subject. A file selector or manager is coming of some sort. Let's see what it is before criticizing it.

Also, no, a virus scan won't be necessary.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I'm not disagreeing with anything regarding a file manger, neither is a5cent. It's how to do it without compromising security. That's all. I was just explaing and suggesting.

There won't be a file manager similar to what's on Android. It's going to be diffeent but we don't know the details.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I seriously want to ask you-Can you direct me towards a thread showing the problems related to file access? It's very hard to search each & every thread as there are too many of them & I don't have a fast internet connection.

I'm sorry to say that the information is scattered all over the place in individual posts in many different threads. Even if you read through everything, what you can get out of it will still be far from comprehensive. The issue is ultimately just too large to deal with on a forum such as this.

The most common requirement is to allow for one isolated area, which can be accessed without restrictions from the PC and from apps on the phone. Not only is that not what we'd normally call a file manager, but it only solves one of the many problems people have with the lack of random file access. All the issues I'm aware of can be traced back to a very small number of root causes however, which I summarized in this post. Unfortunately, that isn't extremely helpful either, as it doesn't explain why things are the way they are, and it's probably already too technical to be easily understood. If you want more, I think these are some of the more intense threads on the subject:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...nt-windows-phone-8-file-explorer-manager.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...s-phone-continue-avoid-make-file-manager.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/254414-file-manager.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/228898-file-manager-implementation-%96-idea.html

Unless you are extremely interested however, I'd say sifting through all that probably isn't worth the effort. WP8.1 is just around the corner, so learning about the peculiarities of WP8.0 doesn't make that much sense at this point, not to mention that it looks to me as if many of the issues will be addressed.

Finally, until we're ready to evaluate WP8.1 in earnest, I sooo agree that we really don't need yet another thread about a file manager.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I've already seen that post of yours. It is a good one. In the notes you mentioned about the 'Send to..' feature. I actually meant something like that only when I said about the 'open with' feature. It is a really nice suggestion. The problem is that it still does not provide the ability to move files between different folders. This wouldn't have been a problem had MS allowed files to be moved between different hubs or within a same hub in different sections.
For example, few months ago, my brother shared some videos with me via Bluetooth. After the transfer, I tried to find them in the music+videos hub.But I couldn't.After some exploration I finally found them in the pictures hub in saved pictures.The worst part-I couldn't move them to the music+videos hub. This is especially a problem for those who do not have a PC. The market for such people is very big in my country & many others. Besides there is no way to know the size of each file stored on the SD card or phone. This prevents the identification of those files which take up too much space.
Of course, there is absolutely no benefit in complaining to you,since you are not a part of the WP design team(I suppose) and we can't say anything till WP 8.1 is ready for consumer evaluation.

pluizebol

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

You are so right MaXi32.
I think too that this is exactly what most people want and need.

tejedor1967

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site

A file manager like in Android is not possible since like in iOS every app owns their files and put them into the app sandbox. The possibilities are a) a files explorer only for the files you find when you connect to a PC using USB plus the SD files and b) some sort of Open With like the one now found in iOS. In case of "b)" just recall that all that "Open With" in iOS does is to copy the file from one sandbox to another so you end up with multiple copies of the file some modified and some not.

Did I mention I really hate "sandboxing"?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The only reason I want file manager is to access the Games' App data (Sav file)

The thing is, you really shouldn't be expected to fiddle around with a file manager for something that trivial. It would be much better if every game would save your game progress to the cloud, which you could access anytime through SkyDrive if you ever had to. This would also allow you to stop playing on one device and pick up exactly where you left off on any other device. All your high-scores, your progress and everything would be synched across all your devices. You also wouldn't have to worry that loosing or resetting your phone would erase your game progress. Setup your new device, login with your Microsoft Account, and your game states are automatically synchronized... finished...

Expecting you to manually back up your game progress with a file manager is a ridiculously inferior solution in comparison.

I'm sure you are not the only person that wants a file manager for something like this. It is a perfect example of how a a file manager isn't actually the best solution for many of the problems people expect to solve with a file manager.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Prob is, the cloud save option must be taken by the game devs. Pardon me for saying it, but WP platform isn't one that receives lots of support from devs.... Even the big titles, how many have cloud save? (to be fair, even on android and ios...)

Wishful thinking though. I suggested this to Fingersoft already (creator of Hill Climb Racing). And this was their reply :"Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We are still deciding which of the many cloud options to use. "

Which I believe will not likely happen in the first half of 2014.😞

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Wishful thinking though. I suggested this to Fingersoft already (creator of Hill Climb Racing).

For you, yes, wishful thinking, if MS gets involved, not at all.

MS must only provide a mechanism for saving game states, and mandate that every game that maintains state between sessions save that state to the cloud. If done right, game developers wouldn't have to do anything at all except specify which of the game files to sync. Possibly requiring nothing more from the developer than to add a few file names to the game's manifest file. Without MS however, there can be no unified approach, and game developers won't do squat. That I will give you.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I want Windows Phone 8.1 to have the ability to clean app data and left over files. Isn`t that what all that "other storage" problems come from? In a file manager on android I can delete any app data that I think is taking up too much space. I can also delete old files and folders created by apps that I have downloaded. something that would let users better manage internal storage than the current "solutions" would definitely make the platform better as a whole. Low end phones with smaller internal storage (Lumia 520/521) would benefit even more so from it.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
People keep touting about how WP8 is more secure because of the lack of accessing the files. But can someone explain to me how this makes Android LESS secure? Because no one, not a single person ever, has ever witnessed a case of malware on Android. Nothing installs on Android without your permission first. Every single time an apk is downloaded from a third party source, you have to manually and physically push the "Install" button for it to be installed on your phone. All apps from the Play Store clearly have the permission requests displayed all over it before you manually and physically tap the "Accept" button.

There is absolutely no way any malicious software can make its way onto Android unless you install it yourself. So someone explain to me again how/why Microsoft decided that giving their users the inability to move files was the solution to all this?

ahigherlevel

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you A895 for addressing this.

Not quite sure if the file manager would completely cover the "Other Storage" problem, either cleaning/clearing it the way Microsoft might allow.

Either way, I need space on my phone for additional pictures and video I take on the fly! And when there is something fleeting you would hope to capture by (video) camera, and your phone keeps saying low space, it gets really annoying. But not as annoying as what you try to do next to try to fix it.

Learning afterwards that the "Other" section in Storage Check is inaccessible to the end user makes it frustrating that there is space being used on my phone (besides my System data) that is taking a considerable amount on my phone's non-expandable drive AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT!

I sincerely hope that there is a fix for this BS in 8.1

PS. I looked for apps that might help in this situation and it seems a majority of people are experiencing problems when trying to use a third party application.

If anyone knows about this shenanigan, don't hesitate to post some advice. Thanks.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you A895 for addressing this.

Not quite sure if the file manager would completely cover the "Other Storage" problem, either cleaning/clearing it the way Microsoft might allow.

Either way, I need space on my phone for additional pictures and video I take on the fly! And when there is something fleeting you would hope to capture by (video) camera, and your phone keeps saying low space, it gets really annoying. But not as annoying as what you try to do next to try to fix it.

Learning afterwards that the "Other" section in Storage Check is inaccessible to the end user makes it frustrating that there is space being used on my phone (besides my System data) that is taking a considerable amount on my phone's non-expandable drive AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT!

I sincerely hope that there is a fix for this BS in 8.1

PS. I looked for apps that might help in this situation and it seems a majority of people are experiencing problems when trying to use a third party application.

If anyone knows about this shenanigan, don't hesitate to post some advice. Thanks.

Thanks. That why I said what I did. I think if WP users could access whatever is in "other storage", the problem could go away completely.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

vish2801

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
IE will be able to download files and also upload the files, screen shots suggesting that IE can pick up files from Phone or Photos, I can guess there would be an option of SD card along with these 2.
We will be able to install Applications on SD card, that's also an interesting scene. And windows phone 8.1 will be having SD card APIs which hopefully might be having more than Read Only features.
And there's a leak regarding USB attachment option after connecting mobile with PC.

Have patience guys, nobody would have imagined that one day IE Mobile would be able to download and most importantly upload the files, this is big, really BIG.

elfallous

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I know that for security reasons there will be no FileManager, but it's mandatory to have one only on OneDrive , because it's a critical feature that's I used to on my old Nokias especially when replying to e-mails and want attach documents.

BR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon