Why Cortana Won't be Cortana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
MS should launch it with the name Cortana and use the voice actor... have it's functions top of the line BUT they have a franchise that is extremely huge and recognizable to the younger crowd that they are trying to capture (not to mention free marketing for the halo series) so they should definitely use that novelty.

which is the same mind boggling thing whoever at MS fails to see... XBOX gaming / Achievements being very big with gamers yet they have almost no focus on the area even though they are trying to aattracted that crowd.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope it's Cortana. She is instantly recognizable as an AI that so happens to be the personal assistant to Master Chief. The name "Cortana" is synonymous cutting edge smartness, and would serve as an instant free marketing boost that everyone would notice. There is nothing wrong with Microsoft leveraging their IP and injecting a "cool" factor to their products.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
First the gun issues is just silly. Next I asked my wife about the female voice issues. What she told me is this. The reason a female voice is used in most programs is because a woman voice is more soothing and comforting. Why is that? Because everybody has a mother. Hers is the first voice every human hears. This is biology people. What ever voice they chose and what ever name they give to the application it will be female. There could be a male voice option but the primary will be female.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Yup, many studies support that. Voiced notifications in aircraft are all female for exactly that reason... doesn't matter if the pilot is male or female... same affect.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
First the gun issues is just silly. Next I asked my wife about the female voice issues. What she told me is this. The reason a female voice is used in most programs is because a woman voice is more soothing and comforting. Why is that? Because everybody has a mother. Hers is the first voice every human hears. This is biology people. What ever voice they chose and what ever name they give to the application it will be female. There could be a male voice option but the primary will be female.

Agreed. I think I prefer a woman's voice.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I do not believe Microsoft will call Fortuna, Cortana and here's why: the anti-gun lobby. I might not agree with their platform but they are growing and strong and associating a core technology/feature could spell disastrous for Microsoft. I think that is reason enough.

In addition, Cormany is definitely geared towards men and this type of technology should be comfortable for me and women. If you notice all of the screen mock-ups feature a woman's form (understand, because Fortuna is female) but it is undoubtedly a sexualized concept, to some degree, even if unconsciously so. I think Windows Phone has done a better job appealing to women than Android - would love to see stats to see if my observation holds up. I hope Microsoft continues down a gender neutral path or at least one that allows customization for either,. As a woman, I hated the masculinity of there Droid devices but always wanted the cutting edge technology. I love the white Nokia phones because they feel less masculine to me without compromising the technology.

I would imagine that these two reasons could be enough to sway Microsoft from using the name or images associated with Cortana.

put a pink cover on it like 99% of the rest of the sensuous ones ?

a suburban is 4-5000 lbs of not-feminine, but girls sure do like diving them

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Hummm had no idea "Cortana" had any association with anti (or pro) gun lobby, video games, or sexualizing women. Truth is if Microsoft wants to sell a lot of phones, people like me (I.e not gamer geeks) is who they should be targeting. If they can do that and still throw something out there for the gamer geeks, then they just scored a bonus. The OP is really reaching for a reason to bo offended at something, anything.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hummm had no idea "Cortana" had any association with anti (or pro) gun lobby, video games, or sexualizing women. Truth is if Microsoft wants to sell a lot of phones, people like me (I.e not gamer geeks) is who they should be targeting. If they can do that and still throw something out there for the gamer geeks, then they just scored a bonus. The OP is really reaching for a reason to bo offended at something, anything.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

agreed

KevinRobinson3

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I do not believe Microsoft will call Fortuna, Cortana and here's why: the anti-gun lobby. I might not agree with their platform but they are growing and strong and associating a core technology/feature could spell disastrous for Microsoft. I think that is reason enough.

From this I assume you are pro-gun? That explains a lot. What an utterly, utterly bizarre post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2