Bing Maps in WP 8.1

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
To me, one of the most annoying things about Windows Phone 8 was that the HERE Maps and Drive+ app essentially replaced Bing Maps. I may be in the minority, but I always felt Nokia's apps were ok, but not great; I'd really prefer to use a maps app that is Microsoft's own and utilizes the synergy between the phone and mobile OS. Do you think we'll see an equivalent of the Bing Maps Preview for Windows 8 in WP 8.1? Perhaps it could be broken out of the OS like what's been done with Music and Video.

Onager1286

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I don't necessarily notice a difference in accuracy, I'd just rather have Microsoft's weight behind the development of the app.

Mohan Raj K

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
To me, one of the most annoying things about Windows Phone 8 was that the HERE Maps and Drive+ app essentially replaced Bing Maps. I may be in the minority, but I always felt Nokia's apps were ok, but not great; I'd really prefer to use a maps app that is Microsoft's own and utilizes the synergy between the phone and mobile OS. Do you think we'll see an equivalent of the Bing Maps Preview for Windows 8 in WP 8.1? Perhaps it could be broken out of the OS like what's been done with Music and Video.

Bing Maps may return to Windows Phone 8.1

See more details tmrw on my page.. https://facebook.com/wplvrs

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Here drive and here maps were great in all honesty. I hope that here drive wild' still exist because it worked very well.

freshfelicio

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I want that Bing Maps preview app from Windows 8.1. It bothers me a lot that you can't rotate the maps by compass or manually in neither Bing maps nor Here maps. Bing maps preview is just perfect. It should also sync. Imagine planning a route on PC and then getting navigated to it on phone later.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think HERE maps is fine, the major problem with it and Drive is that they feel like 3rd party apps, and not 1st party map solutions, which is a must in this day and age. For example, any system app you launch, launches instantaneously, but HERE shows you a logo for 5 seconds before launching. Bing maps was always instantaneous. Also, scrolling around HERE maps has a little bit of hesitation/lag and isn't perfectly smooth as it should be. Anyway, I hope an upgraded Bing or Here maps is integrated into the OS with all the advantages of being a system app.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I want that Bing Maps preview app from Windows 8.1. It bothers me a lot that you can't rotate the maps by compass or manually in neither Bing maps nor Here maps. Bing maps preview is just perfect. It should also sync. Imagine planning a route on PC and then getting navigated to it on phone later.

You can indeed rotate the map by compass on HERE maps. Tap the green button for it to find your location, and then tap it again to activate compass mode.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I want Microsoft to be developing the mapping apps going forwards too. Nokia has shown nothing but incompetence in its handling of mapping on Windows Phone. It took ages to get spoken street names, but it hardly matters because the voices sound so awful. Traffic also took an eternity. We got a directions list, but wait, you can't view it once you've started! You can't see the intersections on a map. You can't choose the route and roads you want to take. It pales in comparison to Google Maps in every aspect except for being fully offline.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would imagine these shortcomings came into play due to a divided development team. I would expect 8.1 & forward being a much cleaner approach with more integration.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I would imagine these shortcomings came into play due to a divided development team. I would expect 8.1 & forward being a much cleaner approach with more integration.

Microsoft did not buy the HERE division, though. I'd assume that means that the apps will still be developed externally by the existing team.

Pocket PC

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You can indeed rotate the map by compass on HERE maps. Tap the green button for it to find your location, and then tap it again to activate compass mode.

Doesn't work on my new 1020. Please help me figure out why. I tap on that button and it find my location, then tap again and nothing happens.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft did not buy the HERE division, though. I'd assume that means that the apps will still be developed externally by the existing team.

Nokia develops the apps, the HERE team supplies the data. You're also talking about a continuing relationship & a longer development time to properly integrate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon