03-17-2014 11:12 AM
57 123
tools
    FYI The "three dots" are known as an Ellipsis

Ellipsis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I find it a nice feature between apps. Gives them a shared theme.
    03-02-2014 02:57 PM
    There is a picture lock screen, What are you talking about? Go to your settings, Then your Lockscreen settings, and you can choose a picture for your Lock Screen (Unless you mean StartScreen, in witch case wait for the 8.1 update, it will either have a background picture available, or the ability to "cloak" your apps, so they show your picture (Shown Here: Windows Phone 8.1 custom images for Live Tiles on the Start screen revealed | Windows Phone Central), but please explain more.)
    03-02-2014 03:08 PM
    There is a picture lock screen, What are you talking about? Go to your settings, Then your Lockscreen settings, and you can choose a picture for your Lock Screen (Unless you mean StartScreen, in witch case wait for the 8.1 update, it will either have a background picture available, or the ability to "cloak" your apps, so they show your picture (Shown Here: Windows Phone 8.1 custom images for Live Tiles on the Start screen revealed | Windows Phone Central), but please explain more.)
    I think they was referring to picture password like on Windows 8.1.
    F3rzz likes this.
    03-02-2014 03:52 PM
    that's even more annoying :s
    I know about that but I didn't write about it because its a useless gesture to be honest
    The gesture is actually pretty awesome unless you're trying to mass delete stuff.
    F3rzz likes this.
    03-02-2014 04:08 PM
    what i think is missing is that the live tiles and lockscreen updates only after 30 mins. it should be changed to a second or a minute at least.
    1 second or even a minute update interval would put a strain on the battery + increase network traffic (wifi or cellular) for some tiles. Which is why it was set to 30 minutes minimum, though 10 minutes would probably be better IMO...
    03-03-2014 11:04 AM
    This is why more people are getting fat. So lifting a finger more than one time is tiring.
    This is about efficiency or preference, not laziness.

what i think is missing is that the live tiles and lockscreen updates only after 30 mins. it should be changed to a second or a minute at least.
    That would kill the battery, which is why it's suggested that people change their emails to update to 30+ minutes at a time if they receive a lot of emails to that account. Constant updates of information being pushed to the phone is a good way to kill your battery life.
    03-03-2014 01:43 PM
    I think that live tiles should update faster like a reader and the OS should allow for clock tiles with messaging apps to update for frequently.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    03-03-2014 01:48 PM
    I think that live tiles should update faster like a reader and the OS should allow for clock tiles with messaging apps to update for frequently.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
    Why? Do you really want to have to charge your phone every few hours? If there is to be a change in the power/tile trade off it should be to allow more live tiles before they all cease to update. Even that would need some careful calculation by MS to avoid disaster.
    03-03-2014 01:53 PM
    This is about efficiency or preference, not laziness.

That would kill the battery, which is why it's suggested that people change their emails to update to 30+ minutes at a time if they receive a lot of emails to that account. Constant updates of information being pushed to the phone is a good way to kill your battery life.
    That should be up to the consumer. It shouldn't be up to the OS vendor to dictate to a person how it should used. Sure they can tell you what the implications may be, but it should be up to the consumer to decide. Does a TV manufacturer put limits on how you can use a TV? Does the manuf of a chair dictate how you use the chair? If people want to have constant updates of email, that should be their choice knowing that it can kill the battery.
    TonyDedrick likes this.
    03-03-2014 01:54 PM
    Why? Do you really want to have to charge your phone every few hours? If there is to be a change in the power/tile trade off it should be to allow more live tiles before they all cease to update. Even that would need some careful calculation by MS to avoid disaster.
    I think we should be given a choice, android devices do last more than a couple of Horus, but i hate the ux on android. It should be our choice, and it does not look like this functionality is coming.
    jleebiker likes this.
    03-03-2014 01:56 PM
    That should be up to the consumer. It shouldn't be up to the OS vendor to dictate to a person how it should used. Sure they can tell you what the implications may be, but it should be up to the consumer to decide. Does a TV manufacturer put limits on how you can use a TV? Does the manuf of a chair dictate how you use the chair? If people want to have constant updates of email, that should be their choice knowing that it can kill the battery.
    I think we should be given a choice, android devices do last more than a couple of Horus, but i hate the ux on android. It should be our choice, and it does not look like this functionality is coming.
    What you two don't seem to understand is that the average consumer is REALLY ignorant. You say leave it up to the consumer, but then we see the average consumer complain that their WP phone is dying too quickly and they don't understand why. Even if the UI included a little caption that turning on this feature could affect battery life, I'm sure many would still not notice.

There are certain tiles that will update in real time, such as messaging, emails, and Me tile, but it's a deliberate design choice of the OS to maximize battery life. So it's not really the vendor that is dictating this choice, it's the masses.
    Rem97 and TonyDedrick like this.
    03-03-2014 02:32 PM
    that should be up to the consumer. It shouldn't be up to the os vendor to dictate to a person how it should used. Sure they can tell you what the implications may be, but it should be up to the consumer to decide. Does a tv manufacturer put limits on how you can use a tv? Does the manuf of a chair dictate how you use the chair? If people want to have constant updates of email, that should be their choice knowing that it can kill the battery.
    icam!
    03-03-2014 02:35 PM
    What you two don't seem to understand is that the average consumer is REALLY ignorant. You say leave it up to the consumer, but then we see the average consumer complain that their WP phone is dying too quickly and they don't understand why. Even if the UI included a little caption that turning on this feature could affect battery life, I'm sure many would still not notice.

There are certain tiles that will update in real time, such as messaging, emails, and Me tile, but it's a deliberate design choice of the OS to maximize battery life. So it's not really the vendor that is dictating this choice, it's the masses.
    Then let the many tthat do continue in their ignorance. Other wise, it should be left to the consumer how they want to use the products they pay for. As long as it's not being used to harm anyone or in a manner that voids the warranty
    03-03-2014 02:38 PM
    it should be left to the consumer how they want to use the products they pay for.
    This made my day. The level of "not understanding how capitalism works" is high.
    03-03-2014 02:41 PM
    This made my day. The level of "not understanding how capitalism works" is high.
    Then explain as I have no clue what that has to do with me wanting to have the option to do something with my phone and not have it dictated for me.
    03-03-2014 02:46 PM
    Ok then unlock the boot loaders and let us have at it if you brick you brick its on your dime not MS, then we can do what we want yet ms still has there say for the ignorant people out there.
    03-03-2014 02:54 PM
    Then let the many tthat do continue in their ignorance. Other wise, it should be left to the consumer how they want to use the products they pay for. As long as it's not being used to harm anyone or in a manner that voids the warranty
    Problem with the masses is the lack of self-awareness or accountability. What happens when these ignorant people turn on constant tile updates and their phones die much quicker? It's not their fault that the phone is dying quicker, it's MS' or Nokia's fault.

It sucks, but holding back options sometimes protects both the consumer and the company. This is a perfect example of this.
    03-03-2014 02:57 PM
    In my opinion live tiles should have an option to be updated as notifications come but the user can Change how they update throughout different apps and can choose any time limit from 5 mins with an allow updates as they come option.
    03-03-2014 03:14 PM
    This is how appears to me (emulator wp 8.1)

wp_20140303_18_26_52_pro.jpg

and this:

wp_20140303_18_33_08_pro.jpg
    03-03-2014 03:37 PM
    Then explain as I have no clue what that has to do with me wanting to have the option to do something with my phone and not have it dictated for me.
    The manufacturer has certain rights regarding the product, just like you (the consumer). So if you don't like it, you can contact them and suggest a change or something, but in the end, it's all up to them if they want to do it or not. And then there's also a ton of other people who have a different opinion. They can't listen to all at once and have to make compromises. And as others said, in Microsoft's case, they'd probably get blamed for battery issues, etc. anyway. That's how things work in this world, if you're unable to comprehend that, make your own stuff. Problem solved.
    Kage Maru likes this.
    03-04-2014 06:11 AM
    Hardware?
    03-04-2014 07:22 AM
    For real battery stats like screen on time and what apps use the most power
    03-05-2014 12:29 PM
    A pop up menu when holding down a blank space in the start screen. Like a right click on the mouse. Maybe the menu would contain options such as create app folder, change theme color, or rearrange tiles (in case you meant to perform that task).
    03-06-2014 05:37 AM
    1 second or even a minute update interval would put a strain on the battery + increase network traffic (wifi or cellular) for some tiles. Which is why it was set to 30 minutes minimum, though 10 minutes would probably be better IMO...
    Actually, it should be something like, the user can decide the update interval for a specific live tile of an app. Most importantly, THEY SHOULD UPDATE PROPERLY. My battery, weather & currency converter tiles just do not update automatically.
    03-06-2014 05:59 AM
    Actually, it should be something like, the user can decide the update interval for a specific live tile of an app. Most importantly, THEY SHOULD UPDATE PROPERLY. My battery, weather & currency converter tiles just do not update automatically.
    Yeah, there are some bugs with the updating, I hope they've fixed that in 8.1
    03-06-2014 08:38 AM
57 123