Is windows phone 8.1 the death of iOS?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
By low end I did not mean the awesome moto g I meant buggy 512 MB android which cripple user experience to an extent they can't even make calls due to the freezes or lag.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

They can make calls just fine (I had a Samsung Gem, look it up) its games that won't work or load up or even be able to install at all. Web browsing can be slow too. Low end android phones are decent for light web browsing, social networks, light casual games, phone calls and texts. Anything more and you should have just gotten a better phone. Also, the Moto G is not low end. Its midrange; quad core processor, 1GB RAM, 720P display.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Not yet, but I believe that with the next version of WP, maybe 8.5 or however they're gonna call it, it will be over IOS except for apps which will take more time to grow.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Apple (in the USA) represents status like Mercedes Benz; Rolex and Dom Perignon and because of that as well as all of the iPods that were sold before any competitors appeared on the market will prevent an iOs free fall any time soon.

Sorry but when I see drunk teens with iPhones with shattered screens, the last thing I think about is Rolex and Dom Perignon. Would Lamborgini be anything special if everyone had it? No, it would be an ordinary car that everyone has. Everyone has an iphone, it's an iconic phone, but its the most boring phone you can have as well. It's like saying 'I have no taste of my own, so I got this because they told me to'. That's what iPhone is for me, and for many others too I believe. Yes, there are people who use their iPhones to their full potential but there's also a lot of people that got the iPhone because someone told them it's a 'good phone' and now they're complaining how the battery is bad and they only really need a phone to call and send texts and emails.
About iPods, I really don't know who buys them anymore. It's better to get a decent Lumia and an sd card for that money, but then again, most people don't think rationally when buying Apple products.

iOS won't just die, it will stay there because people will continue buying iPhones. Maybe in Europe it will go away, or pushed to the minimum, and of course in India and other Asian as well as African countries, because the majority simply can't afford it. There maybe it counts as Rolex, but they have problems like drinking water there, so I don't think many care about iPhones. I've noticed that, while I still see lot's of people with iPhones, there's more and more people getting Lumias (and other WP), they're mostly sold out too.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone has the potential to gain more marketshare than iOS, as it?s business model is closer to Android than it is to iOS. In fact, the focus should be Android. iOS has it?s thing going, marketshare is almost irrelevant. Their userbase is growing they are making tons of money, but in this market it is highly unlikely they would be a marketshare leader. It?s one OS for one OEM, unlike Windows and Android.

NYRbeezer

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
And like many, I can't understand why would someone want the end of any OS or company.

Because we live in a society that likes to see failure as long as it isn't happening to them. We also live in a society where people worry too much about whether or not their phone is better than another persons phone and who's OS is better rather than being happy with the devices they chose and enjoying them for what they are.

SPS828

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Possibly if WP had more apps and IOS could be in trouble if they don't breakaway from the same interface they had since 2007.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

kyriacou48

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Straight Answer is No.

iOS as a mobile operating system, is, to me, the leading OS in terms of fan base and users. Yes, I know that Android makes up the most amount of marketshare and is on more devices than any other OS, but for me the market leader is still Apple.

In terms of Windows Phone, don't get me wrong, i'm as passionate as anyone about the platform. But, the OS still has maturing to do. I've had a device since WP7 (The Omnia 7) and it's come a long way. But, it isn't done yet, nor is it even close to "killing off any other OS".

As stated in other comments, competition is definitely a good thing. I feel as though Google, Samsung (as the leading manufacturer of Android handsets) and Apple are both jumping on the latest hype train and not being creative, but being "Gimmicky" in a lot of ways. Some innovation is shining through from these guys, but they are really lacking creativity. Anyone who has seen the Galaxy S5 and the latest iteration of the Android OS knows what I'm getting at: Boring.

This is where WP steps in. Creativity is coming in waves. Whilst it is helping WP's market share, there is still a long way to go but it is these new ideas and creativity that we are seeing that is slowly making it hard for Blackberry to come back. Blackberry dropped from 4.1% marketshare to 1.7% over the last year. I dare say that has to do with Windows Phone is some regards..

Anyway as long as you enjoy YOUR smartphone and YOUR phone is what you want it to be, then that's all that matters. Everything else will just fall in to place as long as Microsoft continues it's push.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Apple (in the USA) represents status like Mercedes Benz; Rolex and Dom Perignon and because of that as well as all of the iPods that were sold before any competitors appeared on the market will prevent an iOs free fall any time soon.

Apple weren't the first to make portable music players. I was using one made by Creative a year before iPods.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but when I see drunk teens with iPhones with shattered screens, the last thing I think about is Rolex and Dom Perignon. Would Lamborgini be anything special if everyone had it? No, it would be an ordinary car that everyone has. Everyone has an iphone, it's an iconic phone, but its the most boring phone you can have as well. It's like saying 'I have no taste of my own, so I got this because they told me to'. That's what iPhone is for me, and for many others too I believe. <SNIPPED>

You believe people worth caring about choose to express themselves by buying products from large American companies? You judge products by people you see using them? Quite astonishing.

Greg Dillon

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
iOS is great for people with no technical ability with its way of delivering updates and apps. It means that they can ensure the products work with the limited range of phones and tablets that use the OS. Android is more suited to tinkerers that are able to and want to fiddle with the underlying OS. WP falls somewhere inbetween, in that you can fiddle but dont have to. It is much the same as Apple computers, PCs with Linux and the windows PC. It all depends on what effort you are willing to put in to your product. Cars are now much the same if you have the interface cable and program to change the settings to suit what you want from your car. I have a German car with LOTS of things that can be customised.

pappy53

Banned
Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Look at human beings as a race. Then look at how simple iOS makes everything without having a single idea how anything technical works. Seriously you can hand an iPhone to a monkey and he can figure out how to send a message or place a call on an iPhone.

Now, for the rest of us with an IQ greater than a monkey, there is Android and WP 8 / 8.1 :)

With a comment like that, this part is questionable as far as you are concerned.:)

wpgeek820

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
No. My friend who sits next to me in office has an iPhone 5S and as much as I'm a fan of WP, I like that iPhone too. The notification center for example, its more refined and shows up almost everything you need. Also the quick settings are not cluttered with the Notification center; since it is swiped up from the bottom of the screen. The Universal search in the iPhone is just awesome. Design wise, I really love WP; but features wise, WP still has quite a long way to go. WP8.1 is just a beginning.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes